Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i'm here to get my temperature taken.

Never thought I'd see the day where the jags would be a measuring stick lol
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Never thought I'd see the day where the jags would be a measuring stick lol

Ya, sounds weird saying the jags are good
If Jimmy G looks good, then we know for sure he's the real deal.

If he looks bad, the contract value lowers.

It's a W either way tbh
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

It's a W either way tbh

As long as we dont get wrecked and can remain somewhat competitive, it's a win
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

It's a W either way tbh

you really think his contract value will lower if we lose to the jags? lol
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
This Jax team is overrated. Sure their defense can pile up a ton of stats against a bunch of cupcake teams:

Houston (2x) without DeShaun Watson
s**tty Ravens team (at the time) in London
Luck-Less colts (2x)
Browns
Crappy Hawks Team
Crappy Bengals Team

Meanwhile they lose to the Titans, Jets, Rams, and Cardinals.

You left out Pittsburgh who they killed in Pittsburgh. That D is legit scary.
Jimmy G 6-0
I think the Jags D is a little bit of a paper champ. Yes their defense is good, but who have they played? What good offenses have they played well against?If you are ranking the offenses they have faced by points scored on the season their schedule looks like this:
14th
19th (L)
8th
20th (L)
9th
1st (tied) (L)
31st
29th
16th
32nd
27th (L)
31st
13th
14th
To delve a bit deeper they played the Texans twice without Watson who are ranked 14th largely due to his work during the games he started. The only good offenses they have beaten are that are really all that good are the Steelers (9th and really good imo) the Hawks (13th one dimensional and nearly impossible to scheme for) Ravens (8th pretty good) and Chargers (16th and a decently good offense). To wit the majority of their sacks have come against the Colts (10), Houston, and Indy. All teams with bad QB play when those sacks were wracked up. Their defense is good, but they aren't a Ravens or a Seattle. They have played a last place schedule and yes their defense is good, but not nearly as scary as some the 49ers have faced in the not so distant past.

Im not trying to disrespect the Jags, but they aren't the bullies that the Ravens or Hawks have been in the modern NFL. They have feasted on bad QB's and bad lines. Yes out line isn't good, but our QB is. I think the 49ers offense can win this game, not so sure the defense can though.
[ Edited by WINiner on Dec 19, 2017 at 6:53 PM ]
Oral or Rectal?

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Oral or Rectal?

Rascal.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I think the Jags D is a little bit of a paper champ. Yes their defense is good, but who have they played? What good offenses have they played well against?If you are ranking the offenses they have faced by points scored on the season their schedule looks like this:
14th
19th (L)
8th
20th (L)
9th
1st (tied) (L)
31st
29th
16th
32nd
27th (L)
31st
13th
14th
To delve a bit deeper they played the Texans twice without Watson who are ranked 14th largely due to his work during the games he started. The only good offenses they have beaten are that are really all that good are the Steelers (9th and really good imo) the Hawks (13th one dimensional and nearly impossible to scheme for) Ravens (8th pretty good) and Chargers (16th and a decently good offense). To wit the majority of their sacks have come against the Colts (10), Houston, and Indy. All teams with bad QB play when those sacks were wracked up. Their defense is good, but they aren't a Ravens or a Seattle. They have played a last place schedule and yes their defense is good, but not nearly as scary as some the 49ers have faced in the not so distant past.

Im not trying to disrespect the Jags, but they aren't the bullies that the Ravens or Hawks have been in the modern NFL. They have feasted on bad QB's and bad lines. Yes out line isn't good, but our QB is. I think the 49ers offense can win this game, not so sure the defense can though.

You play who you play...

Where do you see holes on their defense? i'd love nothing more than for Jimmy to drop a beauty of a game on them on Sunday and get us another W but I don't see how that happens with our OL. Hell they have Marcell Dareus as a backup...
The fact that they lost on the road to Josh McCown and Blaine Gabbert tell me that we definitely have a shot at winning at home.
Originally posted by WINiner:
14th
19th (L)
8th
20th (L)
9th
1st (tied) (L)
31st
29th
16th
32nd
27th (L)
31st
13th
14th

You play who is on your schedule. I'd argue that if anything, the defense has stepped up and played some of it's best football against the better teams on the schedule.

Pittsburgh... I mean... there's not much to say on that one. Ben was questioning his life after that game.

Ravens... the game was over by halftime.

Seahawks, Wilson tried his normal 4th Quarter heroics, but they were able to tighten up when it mattered and we all saw the meltdown at the end of that game, followed by their complete dismantling this past week.

AJ Green... Sheesh.

Also, it's worth noting that after we completely destroyed Tom Savage, Watson did come in for the 2nd half, and aside from one drive that was aided by the refs, he didn't exactly light the world on fire. Was his first action, so hard to judge, but eh.

The sack numbers are heavily weighted in 2 games. 10 each against Houston and Indy in our first meeting with each. Then again, the 84 Bears had 2 games with 10 sacks padding their stats as well. As we all know, sacks are a good indicator, but they don't tell the whole story, and our D Line has been getting significant pressure on QBs all year long, with the exception of the Titans game. Turns out their O Line is pretty beast.

Behind that pressure, our DBs have been absolutely stifling. AJ Bouye has still yet to allow a single TD against him. Ramsey finally got beat for one by Hopkins last week. Colvin, our Nickle, has been playing out of his mind, which is bittersweet because he'll likely be moving on after this season as he's going to collect a huge paycheck.

If there's one concern I have w/ our Defense, it's the perimeter runs. While Dareus helped sure up the middle of our defense, we still had some issues defending against outside runs, but those were games where Telvin Smith was out, and his speed simply can't be replaced. It's definitely something I'll be watching.

As for Jimmy G... I expect you'll get a good chance to see how he responds under duress with tight coverage. Split second decision making, etc. I agree w/ some other posters in that I think you can learn a lot of positives about him if he plays well, but if the Jags D continues to be the Jags D, it'll be hard to put much negative on him, unless he goes full Kizer in OT and starts getting super loose w/ the ball... which I don't expect.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
This Jax team is overrated. Sure their defense can pile up a ton of stats against a bunch of cupcake teams:

Houston (2x) without DeShaun Watson
s**tty Ravens team (at the time) in London
Luck-Less colts (2x)
Browns
Crappy Hawks Team
Crappy Bengals Team

Meanwhile they lose to the Titans, Jets, Rams, and Cardinals.

You left out Pittsburgh who they killed in Pittsburgh. That D is legit scary.

Big Ben was fondling his balls during that game. Didn't he throw like 5 picks in a game last year too?
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Dec 20, 2017 at 9:05 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone