LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Kurtenbach: The 49ers' biggest need was exposed against Tennessee

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Agreed to a point. Our scheme with emphasis most teams have on quick timing based passes really makes the most dominant pass rushers disappear for portions of games. The Broncos have Von Miller, Shaq Barrett and Shane Raye with far better corners and their defense has looked pedestrian this year. While last year their defense was incredible. Our biggest need imo is a new D coordinator

Umm. No

Saleh has been a welcome addition and fixed a historically bad run D in one year with a mish-mash group of guys missing our starting LDE (Armstead) backup LDE for most of the year (Tank), starting WILL LB (Smith), starting SS (Tartt) and starting FS (Ward)

Saleh is the least of our worries.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
So....what is their biggest need?

Lol right

I say it's still a quality starting center.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dj43:
Sorry to come to this party so late, but back to the article in the OP: That is a very sophomoric approach to the need issue - better pass defense.

So, yes, a single shut down corner will take care of the other team's #1 receiver, but what does that do for the rest of the secondary?

A stud ER that can consistently cut down the coverage time by .75 to 1 second will make the entire secondary look much better. Instead of having to cover for 4-5 seconds, as has been the case too often, if that time is reduced to 2.5-3 seconds a lot of good things can happen in the secondary.

Just like a good QB can make the rest of the offense look much better, the same can be said for an ER.

Now, go find some OL help and playmakers on offense.

Brick-by-brick.

The problem is, we don't fully know Saleh's philosophy here. Clearly, he's going with the bigger lineups on the front end. They are getting a lot of QB pressures but are one of the slowest teams at getting home and even worse at closing. If this is his preferred lineup, then getting a shut down CB would allow more coverage sacks and an extra second for the big boys to close the deal and not sacrifice anything on run defense.

If his philosophy is he'd rather have speed constantly coming off the edges and at the 3T and feels it wouldn't sacrifice much, if any in run defense, then an ER would be his priority.

Right now, I'm not sure what his preference is. I know what mine is...most fans...

It's difficult for me to believe Saleh would not recognize the overall benefit of a much more effective pass rush.

When I sit and watch guys like Mariota having ample time to scan the field and connect on multiple passes in a row, I have to conclude there is a need that must be filled.
Trade down to mid teens and pick up a DE pure speed arden key no big DE we have Amstead and Thomas, Carradine ready need fast pass rusher. No need to be good against the run
Originally posted by SSF49ers:
Trade down to mid teens and pick up a DE pure speed arden key

Trent Baalke, is that you?
Sorry to come to this party so late, but back to the article in the OP: That is a very sophomoric approach to the need issue - better pass defense.

So, yes, a single shut down corner will take care of the other team's #1 receiver, but what does that do for the rest of the secondary?

A stud ER that can consistently cut down the coverage time by .75 to 1 second will make the entire secondary look much better. Instead of having to cover for 4-5 seconds, as has been the case too often, if that time is reduced to 2.5-3 seconds a lot of good things can happen in the secondary.

Just like a good QB can make the rest of the offense look much better, the same can be said for an ER.

Brick-by-brick.

The problem is, we don't fully know Saleh's philosophy here. Clearly, he's going with the bigger lineups on the front end. They are getting a lot of QB pressures but are one of the slowest teams at getting home and even worse at closing. If this is his preferred lineup, then getting a shut down CB would allow more coverage sacks and an extra second for the big boys to close the deal and not sacrifice anything on run defense.

If his philosophy is he'd rather have speed constantly coming off the edges and at the 3T and feels it wouldn't sacrifice much, if any in run defense, then an ER would be his priority.

Right now, I'm not sure what his preference is. I know what mine is...most fans...

It's difficult for me to believe Saleh would not recognize the overall benefit of a much more effective pass rush.

When I sit and watch guys like Mariota having ample time to scan the field and connect on multiple passes in a row, I have to conclude there is a need that must be filled.

No question on the need. The question is, he's got an interior pass rusher in Thomas and Buckner and even Marsh, Lynch and Dumervil that he could use more on early downs but he's sticking with the same big personnel to protect the run...fair enough against a good running team like the Titans, but other teams?

So even if he does find a premier LEO, would he use him on early downs or stick with the bigger personnel on the first two downs?

I genuinely don't know...
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 19, 2017 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
That blitz from Bowman flying up the gut to take down Wilson in the 2013 NFCC was sick.

Bowman chasing down Wilson in a regular season game and causing a fumble was one of the most explosive LB plays I have ever seen. there was a good gif of that floating around at one time, but I have to get into a work conf call now. Bowman in his prime was every bit as dominating as Willis, just in a different way.
Every team in the NFL needs a 3 down edge rusher. Thanks article.....Thanks......
new fans?
They need both for next year. They have the draft capital and the salary cap space to get both along with interior line Wide Receiver upgrades. A Wideoutes Corp with Watkins, Garcon, Goodwin, and Taylor would be great.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Disagree with article. Their #1 need is an edge rusher. Jimmy makes everyone on offense look better. A true edge rusher would make everyone on defense look better including the CBs.

Pass rush and DB's work in tandem. I say they go after the best available edge rusher or CB. No need to force a pick to "fit" a need.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Draft Chubb at #4.

the niners will probably be picking between 6-7 range. I agree that Chubb is a good defenisve lineman prospect. (unlike last year's colossal bust)

I've got us currently at #5, #9 if we win one more (which would make me a Winner! on my preseason prediction of 5-11), and #12 if we somehow beat the Jags and Rams. I don't see any of the teams which now have 5 wins or less winning so much as one more game; they all seem to be cashing it in.

Brick-by-brick.

He wants a dominant pass rusher.. You think we had AA there cause he was totally in love with the beef? Nah. Just utilizing what he has
Share 49ersWebzone