There are 434 users in the forums

Kurtenbach: The 49ers' biggest need was exposed against Tennessee

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
Should the 49ers go after Richard Sherman?

31 year old coming off a torn Achilles...

Hell No. Let that p.o.s. Rot on some other roster.
lol

I agree...Seattle got his best years. He's done now.
Originally posted by RD_Town:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i can see him being a cap casualty. Might be a possibility. I use to hate his guts but he has seemed to mature more and not running his mouth every chance he gets.

I bet if seahawks release him, he will take that very personal and beg the 49ers, Rams, or Cardinals to sign him so he can see the Seahawks twice a year.

Sweet mother of jesus. This would be like a Deion Sanders scenario back in 94. We pick up then went on to win the SB. I like it.

We do need a CB opposite of witherspoon
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 16to87:
Don't want that A-hole anywhere near this team

I got to agree.
I'll add a caveat to the #1 need being an edge rusher.

Saleh needs an ER but he needs one he can trust just as effectively against the run.

Right now, he has Watson who earlier in the year, showed he was a slightly better SAM ER over Harold. He also has Dumervil who seems to have plenty in the tank and Marsh, who's added a non-stop motor at LEO.

But in the end, he's using his heavier packages and better run defenders in Harold and Thomas more on early downs: first 2 downs before using his nickel (Thomas at NT, Dumervil at SAM and Marsh at LEO)

Saleh will need an Aldon Smith that he fully trusts to play on every down. Just like he'd like balance for Thomas to play the run inside more, he'd like to find that same trust in a SAM and LEO who could play almost every down without losing anything in the run defense.

Teams pass so much on first and second downs now, having edge rushers who can be just as effective against the run is critical for helping that back end and in collapsing the pocket to pair with the interior rush we have.

I'm "assuming" Saleh would like this but maybe not.

Technically, he could be rotating both Dumervil and Marsh at LEO every down but my guess is, he feels he'd lose in run support on the edges so he goes with a better run defender in Thomas (and Armstead before him) on the first two downs.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 18, 2017 at 3:43 PM ]
Johnson is garbage.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'll add a caveat to the #1 need being an edge rusher.

Saleh needs an ER but he needs one he can trust just as effectively against the run.

Right now, he has Watson who earlier in the year, showed he was a slightly better SAM ER over Harold. He also has Dumervil who seems to have plenty in the tank and Marsh, who's added a non-stop motor at LEO.

But in the end, he's using his heavier packages and better run defenders in Harold and Thomas more on early downs: first 2 downs before using his nickel (Thomas at NT, Dumervil at SAM and Marsh at LEO)

Saleh will need an Aldon Smith that he fully trusts to play on every down. Just like he'd like balance for Thomas to play the run inside more, he'd like to find that same trust in a SAM and LEO who could play almost every down without losing anything in the run defense.

Teams pass so much on first and second downs now, having edge rushers who can be just as effective against the run is critical for helping that back end and in collapsing the pocket to pair with the interior rush we have.

I'm "assuming" Saleh would like this but maybe not.

Technically, he could be rotating both Dumervil and Marsh at LEO every down but my guess is, he feels he'd lose in run support on the edges so he goes with a better run defender in Thomas (and Armstead before him) on the first two downs.

I totally agree NC, and I'll just add that an effective 4-down edge rusher will take the pressure off Jimmy to be *the* guy in a lot of high pressure situations. He won't mentally press. He'll play relaxed and not throw into triple coverage because his defense can't stop the other teams passer. He'll slide out of bounds instead of trying to go head first to get a critical first down. An effective edge rusher will improve this defense and an improved defense means Jimmy is within a score or two of winning in the 4rt QTR if we're behind. And lastly, we'll need a top of the line edge rusher if we're going to win another super bowl.
Toss up between Leo and CB on what the Niner's biggest need is. Give me Trumain Johnson and Bradley Chubb and I think the Niners would suddenly have a very improved defense with the ability to slow down a top passing attack.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
So....what is their biggest need?

Sorry, but another defensive player is not our biggest need. Our biggest need are playmakers on offense. And, no, Goodwin and Taylor are not the answer. We need an influx of talent on offense and we need to see whether all these defensive players we picked in the top 10 in the draft are going work out or not. As far as the OL goes, we can see that good QB makes everything look good on offense including the OL. The OL may need a tweek, but it isn't a big priority.
[ Edited by obx49 on Dec 18, 2017 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Toss up between Leo and CB on what the Niner's biggest need is. Give me Trumain Johnson and Bradley Chubb and I think the Niners would suddenly have a very improved defense with the ability to slow down a top passing attack.

Trumaine Johnson has not been good this year. I'd stay away from him.

And I like Bradley Chubb but I highly doubt he will be available when we pick. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he was though.
Originally posted by obx49:
Sorry, but another defensive player is not our biggest need. Our biggest need are playmakers on offense. And, no, Goodwin and Taylor are not the answer. We need an influx of talent on offense and we need to see whether all these defensive players we picked in the top 10 in the draft are going work out or not. As far as the OL goes, we can see that good QB makes everything look good on offense including the OL. The OL may need a tweek, but it isn't a big priority.

Have you been living in a cave these past 3 weeks when Goodwin and Taylor have been ripping teams new ones? Goodwin would be well over 1200 yards with Jimmy for a full year and Taylor is as clutch as it gets in the slot on 3rd downs. Throw in Garcon who is one of the toughest, most under-rated players in the league and a legit #1 in Shanahan's offense and the absolute LAST thing we need is a receiver.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
So....what is their biggest need?

This team is full of big needs, the team has the lowest payroll in the NFL for a reason.
The inside of the OL sucks, Garnett may be able to fill a hole but he is a big maybe and they still need a guard and a center at minimum.
The team also desperately needs an edge rusher, linebacker help and a #1 WR.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Have you been living in a cave these past 3 weeks when Goodwin and Taylor have been ripping teams new ones? Goodwin would be well over 1200 yards with Jimmy for a full year and Taylor is as clutch as it gets in the slot on 3rd downs. Throw in Garcon who is one of the toughest, most under-rated players in the league and a legit #1 in Shanahan's offense and the absolute LAST thing we need is a receiver.

Not making a comparison, but Tom Brady made slot receivers into #1 WRs not the other way around. When they brought in Randy Moss we finally saw the full talent of Brady. We can't surround Jimmy G with mediocre talent and expect him to win the SB. They need to start surrounding him with talent including at TE and RB if they want to make a real run at the SB.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

I wouldn't say LAST thing. We need a WR before a S. I think we should be investing in OL and all skill positions in the off actually. Lets build a bully on offense, dominant at all positions. The best defense is a dominant offense.
[ Edited by WINiner on Dec 18, 2017 at 4:30 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

31 year old coming off a torn Achilles...

Hell No. Let that p.o.s. Rot on some other roster.

This. f**k him.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Team needs IMO:

1. Edge rusher
2. Playmakers on offense (true no.1 Wr will help a lot)
3. CB (as the article suggested)
4. OLBs (too reliant on 56)
5. Interior linemen (we have some talent here - may need to just let it grow)
6. RB (if Hyde leaves - this jumps up)
Share 49ersWebzone