LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 349 users in the forums

Week 14 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the games...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Jimmy Garoppolo: It's getting really hard not to go full fanboy right now and proclaim him the next great 49ers QB. Not my style to be too up or too down after a game but Jimmy is really testing me here. I said last week that he's got "it" whatever "it" is. Now we are seeing the way he is in the locker room, the way he is in the huddle...jeez...I mean really, what more could we have asked for in that position?

If he stays healthy and he pans out the way he seems to be trending, we may look back on this trade as one of the biggest days in 49er history (damnit...there I go again...slow down).

He was getting hit and it was like it had zero effect on him. He never flinched. Just kept winging it. They had Zane Beadles out there vs Clowney and he kept his eyes downfield non-stop. The INT didn't look great but looked mostly to me like a miscommunication and there was a long pass in there that was truly the first "WTF was that" pass I'd seen him throw (was almost another INT), but even the best in the NFL throw bad passes at times.

MAN I can't wait till next year.

2) 2017 Draft Class: Speaking of next year, I thought this might be a good time to look at the rookies who have been on the field this year and how they have looked so far...

a) Solomon Thomas: I'm still not convinced on this guy. He does flash at times and the dude is a great athlete, but there are long stretches where he's just invisible. He was always going to be raw so I look forward to seeing him next year.

b) Reuben Foster: You guys know I love Reuben, but I do see some issues there. He flashes in a big was sometimes, but he seems to get caught out of position quite a bit. I've said before that I might just be spoiled by Pat/Bow, but he seems to get caught up in the wash and over pursues a lot. He is just a young player though who hasn't yet even started a full season and his athletic gifts are ridiculous. It should also be mentioned that while Pat was awesome right away, Bow didn't even start till year 2 as he was behind Takeo Spikes as a rookie.

c) Ahkello Witherspoon: Love the guys size and movement skills and he is getting much more physical in run support. He still gets beat from time to time but like the guys taken ahead of him he also flashes. Looking forward to seeing him next year.

d) CJ Beathard: Poor CJ just hasn't learned to get the ball out of his hands. While I applaud the toughness, we've seen with Jimmy that some of the problem is just holding the ball too damn long. Jimmy has a crazy fast release so that might not be entirely fair as a comparison, but I like CJ moving forward as a backup QB. I do think though that they should take a QB somewhere in the draft pretty much every year.

e) Joe Williams: Incomplete. We'll have to wait till next year to see what he's got.

f) George Kittle: I think TE is a position that needs upgrading, but Kittle has been much more than I'd expected him to be on draft day. He's going to be around for awhile be it as the #1 or #2 TE.

g) Trent Taylor: GREAT pick. Will never be a true #1 or #2 WR, but he will be a tough cover on 3rd down for years to come. Just so quick in the slot and nearly impossible to stop on short routes.

h) D.J. Jones: Has looked decent when he's been on the field but he hasn't been out there all that much.

i) Pita Taumoepenu: UBER-raw player whom I expected very little from this year. I would be surprised to be honest if he's ever more than a special teams type player, but who knows. Tough to say much when we've seen so little of him.

j) Adrian Colbert: Big surprise. I'm not crowning him a long term starter at this point but he has certainly looked much better than I'd expected. When he was drafted he just looked like a size/speed combo type player and those guys rarely pan out...but they might just have gotten a bargain there. Should be fun to watch.

All in all a pretty damn good first year for the rookie class. A few of them really weren't/aren't ready for full time roles, but that only aids i their development long term.

3) Free Agent Class: Might as well look at a few of those Free Agents as well...

a) Kyle Juszczyk: Not sure on this one yet. There have been a few flashes, this week in particular, but the concussions this year make me nervous. He's playing a bit of a different role than he's played in the past and I'd be interested to see if they utilize him better in year 2.

b) Pierre Garcon: More than any other player, I can't wait to get him back on the field next year. He is just so perfect a fit for Shanahan and Garoppolo. Just getting him back would be HUGE. Add one more guy and look out.

c) Marquise Goodwin: I was kinda down last week on his long term prospects and I'm kinda still there but I have to give him some props for his game on sunday. Now he had a few drops that were a bit maddening and there was a play that I wish he's been a different player for in the end zone (specifically, a taller player with better ball skills), but maybe I was a bit premature on his role on this team in the future.

4) O-Line: Interior Offensive Line has to be the teams #1 priority this offseason. That doesn't mean it has to be the first signing or the first pick, but it does need to be something that is addressed quickly. I'm also aware that I didn't just say anything profound. Thats a pretty obvious statement.

The question tho is exactly HOW to they address it. I'm not a fan of taking guards really high in the draft unless their name is Mike Iupati. Even if Mike was there though I dunno if he'd be a fit for this scheme. Do you perhaps burn that high first rounder on a Tackle you can move to guard early and groom to replace Staley or Brown (moving Brown from RT to LT in this case)? Do you spend on free agent? Do you role the dice and see if Joshua Garnett after reshaping his body can be a really good guard? Do you do some combination of all three ideas? I honestly have no clue. I just know that Fusco and Tomlinson aren't the answer as starters and while Jimmy can cover that up pretty well, I'd much rather he didn't have to look down the gun barrel of a blitzing LB quite so often.

5) Saquon: Please?

6) Defensive Scheme/DC: I am really torn on this one and maybe its just because I still have love for that Pat/Bow/Justin/Aldon D that was just so damn good for several years. Maybe its just nostalgia. Robert Sareh has done absolutely nothing to lose his job. In fact, his defense has shown significant improvement in almost every category and he's doing a lot of it with very young players. The players currently on the team seem to fit this scheme...

...but I'd be lying' if I said I didn't see Vic Fangio becoming available and say I didn't want him back. My mind tho has to push that aside though as I didn't even know if the 49ers have the players they' need to make Vics system go anymore (where does Solomon play? 3-4 DE? Does Arik lose his job? Tank doesn't have a position again). I have been watching that situation all year and just assumed that Saleh would have to be outstanding to keep that job. The 49ers tried to hire Vic LAST year and the Bears wouldn't let him get away.

At this point though, I don't think Saleh is going anywhere and that is 100% because he's done a damn fine job this year. Now I just have to tell my heart to shut up and listen to my head. :)

7) Dontae Johnson: I have always viewed Johnson as a solid but unspectacular guy. He's always been a rangy corner who never truly got a shot. That shot came this year and he's been ok...but man did Hopkins own him on Sunday. Man...I wanted to step through the screen and give the poor guy a hug.

8) Garrett Celek: Ya know what? That guy just keeps finding a way to stick around. He looks the part for sure. I just wish he were a bit faster. Again tho...spoiled by Vernon and Walker. I really need to get over that stuff.

9) Positive Vibe: As much as I'd love a better draft pick, ain't it great to feel that positive "things are looking' up" vibe again? The best part from a purely selfish standpoint: The 49ers with all of their disfunction currently FEEL like the Bay Area team with a better trajectory. The Raiders are a mess...and its glorious.

10) The stretch: 3 games to go. All playoff teams. Nice GPS games in my opinion. My guess is they pull off a win in one of them and finish 4-12. Jimmy is great but there are still a lot of holes on this team.
the energy coming out of this team is amazing. i think 49ers filling up NRG stadium had to do with Garappolo. I was little iffy about going to the Rams 49ers game here in LA because i hate going to the coliseum but after Garappolo's first game, i knew i couldnt miss it. Jed is probably kissing Garappolo's feet right now.
Echoed many of my thoughts. People are too quick to deem Thomas a bust or Foster the next Willis. Both are freakishly athletic dudes with top intagables, but both are rookies. We'll know for sure in a year or two.

So many roster holes remain. I agree that JG is the guy, and FQB is by far the hardest spot to fill. We have a lot of draft capital, a ton of camp space, and I think we'll make an attractive FA destination this offseasson. So there's plenty of reason for optimism.
btw i think Thomas has shown as much as Buckner did in his rookie year. The sophmore year is when we should see some serious leaps
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
btw i think Thomas has shown as much as Buckner did in his rookie year. The sophmore year is when we should see some serious leaps

Hope so.
Just admit you're full blown fanboy man, don't hold back the excitement, you only live once!
One guy that I think is stepping up in a short amount of time is Marsh. Dude is showing flashes.

Also want to point out that Dumervil still has gas in the tank.
I'm souring more and more on Saquon...only because of how talented this RB class is and I think Ronald Jones or Rashaad Penny later in the draft could give us the better value.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Jimmy Garoppolo: It's getting really hard not to go full fanboy right now and proclaim him the next great 49ers QB. Not my style to be too up or too down after a game but Jimmy is really testing me here. I said last week that he's got "it" whatever "it" is. Now we are seeing the way he is in the locker room, the way he is in the huddle...jeez...I mean really, what more could we have asked for in that position?

If he stays healthy and he pans out the way he seems to be trending, we may look back on this trade as one of the biggest days in 49er history (damnit...there I go again...slow down).

He was getting hit and it was like it had zero effect on him. He never flinched. Just kept winging it. They had Zane Beadles out there vs Clowney and he kept his eyes downfield non-stop. The INT didn't look great but looked mostly to me like a miscommunication and there was a long pass in there that was truly the first "WTF was that" pass I'd seen him throw (was almost another INT), but even the best in the NFL throw bad passes at times.

2) 2017 Draft Class: Speaking of next year, I thought this might be a good time to look at the rookies who have been on the field this year and how they have looked so far...

a) Solomon Thomas: I'm still not convinced on this guy. He does flash at times and the dude is a great athlete, but there are long stretches where he's just invisible. He was always going to be raw so I look forward to seeing him next year.

b) Reuben Foster: You guys know I love Reuben, but I do see some issues there. He flashes in a big was sometimes, but he seems to get caught out of position quite a bit. I've said before that I might just be spoiled by Pat/Bow, but he seems to get caught up in the wash and over pursues a lot. He is just a young player though who hasn't yet even started a full season and his athletic gifts are ridiculous. It should also be mentioned that while Pat was awesome right away, Bow didn't even start till year 2 as he was behind Takeo Spikes as a rookie.

c) Ahkello Witherspoon: Love the guys size and movement skills and he is getting much more physical in run support. He still gets beat from time to time but like the guys taken ahead of him he also flashes. Looking forward to seeing him next year.

d) CJ Beathard: Poor CJ just hasn't learned to get the ball out of his hands. While I applaud the toughness, we've seen with Jimmy that some of the problem is just holding the ball too damn long. Jimmy has a crazy fast release so that might not be entirely fair as a comparison, but I like CJ moving forward as a backup QB. I do think though that they should take a QB somewhere in the draft pretty much every year.

e) Joe Williams: Incomplete. We'll have to wait till next year to see what he's got.

f) George Kittle: I think TE is a position that needs upgrading, but Kittle has been much more than I'd expected him to be on draft day. He's going to be around for awhile be it as the #1 or #2 TE.

g) Trent Taylor: GREAT pick. Will never be a true #1 or #2 WR, but he will be a tough cover on 3rd down for years to come. Just so quick in the slot and nearly impossible to stop on short routes.

h) D.J. Jones: Has looked decent when he's been on the field but he hasn't been out there all that much.

i) Pita Taumoepenu: UBER-raw player whom I expected very little from this year. I would be surprised to be honest if he's ever more than a special teams type player, but who knows. Tough to say much when we've seen so little of him.

j) Adrian Colbert: Big surprise. I'm not crowning him a long term starter at this point but he has certainly looked much better than I'd expected. When he was drafted he just looked like a size/speed combo type player and those guys rarely pan out...but they might just have gotten a bargain there. Should be fun to watch.

All in all a pretty damn good first year for the rookie class. A few of them really weren't/aren't ready for full time roles, but that only aids i their development long term.

3) Free Agent Class: Might as well look at a few of those Free Agents as well...

a) Kyle Juszczyk: Not sure on this one yet. There have been a few flashes, this week in particular, but the concussions this year make me nervous. He's playing a bit of a different role than he's played in the past and I'd be interested to see if they utilize him better in year 2.

b) Pierre Garcon: More than any other player, I can't wait to get him back on the field next year. He is just so perfect a fit for Shanahan and Garoppolo. Just getting him back would be HUGE. Add one more guy and look out.

c) Marquise Goodwin: I was kinda down last week on his long term prospects and I'm kinda still there but I have to give him some props for his game on sunday. Now he had a few drops that were a bit maddening and there was a play that I wish he's been a different player for in the end zone (specifically, a taller player with better ball skills), but maybe I was a bit premature on his role on this team in the future.

4) O-Line: Interior Offensive Line has to be the teams #1 priority this offseason. That doesn't mean it has to be the first signing or the first pick, but it does need to be something that is addressed quickly. I'm also aware that I didn't just say anything profound. Thats a pretty obvious statement.

The question tho is exactly HOW to they address it. I'm not a fan of taking guards really high in the draft unless their name is Mike Iupati. Even if Mike was there though I dunno if he'd be a fit for this scheme. Do you perhaps burn that high first rounder on a Tackle you can move to guard early and groom to replace Staley or Brown (moving Brown from RT to LT in this case)? Do you spend on free agent? Do you role the dice and see if Joshua Garnett after reshaping his body can be a really good guard? Do you do some combination of all three ideas? I honestly have no clue. I just know that Fusco and Tomlinson aren't the answer as starters and while Jimmy can cover that up pretty well, I'd much rather he didn't have to look down the gun barrel of a blitzing LB quite so often.

6) Defensive Scheme/DC: I am really torn on this one and maybe its just because I still have love for that Pat/Bow/Justin/Aldon D that was just so damn good for several years. Maybe its just nostalgia. Robert Sareh has done absolutely nothing to lose his job. In fact, his defense has shown significant improvement in almost every category and he's doing a lot of it with very young players. The players currently on the team seem to fit this scheme...

...but I'd be lying' if I said I didn't see Vic Fangio becoming available and say I didn't want him back. My mind tho has to push that aside though as I didn't even know if the 49ers have the players they' need to make Vics system go anymore (where does Solomon play? 3-4 DE? Does Arik lose his job? Tank doesn't have a position again). I have been watching that situation all year and just assumed that Saleh would have to be outstanding to keep that job. The 49ers tried to hire Vic LAST year and the Bears wouldn't let him get away.

At this point though, I don't think Saleh is going anywhere and that is 100% because he's done a damn fine job this year. Now I just have to tell my heart to shut up and listen to my head. :)

7) Dontae Johnson: I have always viewed Johnson as a solid but unspectacular guy. He's always been a rangy corner who never truly got a shot. That shot came this year and he's been ok...but man did Hopkins own him on Sunday. Man...I wanted to step through the screen and give the poor guy a hug.

8) Garrett Celek: Ya know what? That guy just keeps finding a way to stick around. He looks the part for sure. I just wish he were a bit faster. Again tho...spoiled by Vernon and Walker. I really need to get over that stuff.

9) Positive Vibe: As much as I'd love a better draft pick, ain't it great to feel that positive "things are looking' up" vibe again? The best part from a purely selfish standpoint: The 49ers with all of their disfunction currently FEEL like the Bay Area team with a better trajectory. The Raiders are a mess...and its glorious.

10) The stretch: 3 games to go. All playoff teams. Nice GPS games in my opinion. My guess is they pull off a win in one of them and finish 4-12. Jimmy is great but there are still a lot of holes on this team.

QB) Well I'm excited about the 49ers future. Garoppolo has done everything one can expect from the position and has immediately improved the play on offense. There is a phrase people use that great players make others around them better. Brady does it, Patrick Willis did it. What we have seen from JimmyG thus far is a guy who is elevating the play of those around him. Just look at Goodwin's uptick in production. Garappolo will get his contract, but I'm wondering if the 49ers would still be content with slapping a one year franchise tender on him instead as an insurance policy.

TE) The uptick in play at QB has meant the resurgence of the players like Celek and it illuminates the need for an upgrade at tight end. Garrett is a fine player in his own right, but the team could really benefit from an upgrade here. What QB doesn't want a really good tight end?
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 11, 2017 at 1:39 PM ]
I'm new to the forum although I have been reading it for years. I also expect that I am older than most. I held season tickets from 1970 thru 2004. I saw the turnaround begin in 1980 when Walsh replaced DeBerg with Montana. We still were not great but you could feel the change it made. Remember this also followed a GM change from Joe Thomas to Carmen Policy. The entire organization was changing. Dead weight was shed in favor of guys who could make plays. I say all this because I can see a lot of this happening now. I see good things in Jimmy G but I don't want to go overboard. He looks like the right guy but I still want to see more games against better competition. He has the things you can't teach much like Joe Montana. The 2 things I think separate good from great are ability to move in the pocket and seeing the field. You can't teach these and they can't be tested at the combine which is one reason so many QB's fail. When you are playing scared it is hard to make accurate throws on time. Jimmy seems to be comfortable in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield.

Quenton Nelson from ND is better than Iupati
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I want Fangio but the team has let go of players that would have fit his scheme well. I also believed Kyle gets to attached to players and coaches and will not make a change.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Some great talent at Guard in this draft. As much as I like the idea of Saquon and wouldn't complain if we got him I feel like he's a luxury we can't afford. Much rather trade down and plug some of the gaps.

Got to make the rest of the sundae before you put the cherry on top.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Nice post. I just ordered my Jimmy G jersey..
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Great write up as usual, Marvin!

re: Fangio vs Saleh. I would say Saleh's defense is simpler in concept than Fangio's. I think that's the tipping point for me. You want a defensive scheme that is simple and for outside draftees and free agents to come in and understand it fairly quickly. Fangio's defense is complex, and the pattern matching that goes on involves a lot of reps and developed chemistry with each player. It's hard for Fangio to just plug and play a new player and I think that's why his defenses degrade over time.

Saleh's defense is basically a nickel defense, in my eyes, so I'm not surprised we're almost dead last in run defense (25th I think). But I think with a LEO and more development with regards to Solomon (don't give up on him yet - 2nd year is when we will really see their talent) that defense will improve next year under Saleh moreso than if Fangio were to come in.

This defense is a Seifert based defense, and his defenses have a good super bowl track record in our franchise history. I've never really seen Fangio's defense excel at the top level, maybe somebody who knows Fangio more than I do, can educate me on that aspect of it.
Share 49ersWebzone