LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

2017 49ers Draft Class

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Some great picks at the end of the draft.
if pita and joe are the only blunders this draft i would be okay. So far all of these guys had great moments.
Originally posted by jersey49er:

3rd Round- CJ Beathard, supposedly only the niners and packers seen CJ as a possible great QB, I see him as great back up who will fetch the niners a higher pick in a couple years.

You just know the Packers wish they had Beathard right now.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by jersey49er:

3rd Round- CJ Beathard, supposedly only the niners and packers seen CJ as a possible great QB, I see him as great back up who will fetch the niners a higher pick in a couple years.

You just know the Packers wish they had Beathard right now.

Wouldn't be shocked if they trade for him in a couple years, give the niners their 2nd and it's a deal lol
Based only on the pick, and not trades made and who else was available at the time.

Soloman Thomas, C: Didn't want him to be the pick, and he has certainly been underwhelming for a 3rd overall choice. BUT he has flashed, is out of position, and I believe the verdict is still out.

Rueben Foster, B+: Dude has made a real positive impact, both on the field and in the locker room. Injuries have been a concern; cant help but hold my breath multiple times a game. But he's looking like a future perennial probowler, and all at good a good draft value none the less.

Ahkello Witherspoon, B+: Wouldn't describe him as "shut down," but the rook has quickly asserted himself as the team's best corner and likely a franchise #2.

CJ Beathard, B: Really gave the team a shot in the arm when it needed it most. With him and Jimmy G, I think we're set at QB for a very long time.

Joe Williams, F: Was given opportunities to shine in preseason and could not seize any of them. Still not convinced he had an actual injury. Hopefully he can still show something, but, at this point, looks like a major miss.

George Kittle, B: Not a home run pick, but everything you would expect from a 5th round TE with flashes of something more. Likely to be an above average starter in this league.

Trent Taylor, A-: At this point in the draft, you're lucky to find contributors at offensive skill positions. Here, we found a difference making starter.

DJ Jones, B: From what we've seen, very promising young player.

Pita Taumoepenu, NA: While we havnt seen anything from him, he hasn't shown as anything negative either, unlike Williams. Late round pick always expected to need development before ready.

Adrian Colbert, A+: Stud in the making. Clearly fills a major hole in the defense, making future drafts that much easier. 7th round starters are already As. He looks like a future all pro.

Overall: A-. My grades obviously don't add up to an A, but we gotta round up. To have hit on so many positive impact players is a you can ask for in a draft, and a major success
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Joe Williams, F: Was given opportunities to shine in preseason and could not seize any of them. Still not convinced he had an actual injury. Hopefully he can still show something, but, at this point, looks like a major miss.

I love when assessments are made on minimal use and pure speculation. An F and a major miss based on 25 rushing attempts in the preseason. He averaged over 5 YPC btw. And then you think he faked an IR injury that put him out the whole season. Lmao
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Based only on the pick, and not trades made and who else was available at the time.

Soloman Thomas, C: Didn't want him to be the pick, and he has certainly been underwhelming for a 3rd overall choice. BUT he has flashed, is out of position, and I believe the verdict is still out.

Rueben Foster, B+: Dude has made a real positive impact, both on the field and in the locker room. Injuries have been a concern; cant help but hold my breath multiple times a game. But he's looking like a future perennial probowler, and all at good a good draft value none the less.

Ahkello Witherspoon, B+: Wouldn't describe him as "shut down," but the rook has quickly asserted himself as the team's best corner and likely a franchise #2.

CJ Beathard, B: Really gave the team a shot in the arm when it needed it most. With him and Jimmy G, I think we're set at QB for a very long time.

George Kittle, B: Not a home run pick, but everything you would expect from a 5th round TE with flashes of something more. Likely to be an above average starter in this league.

Trent Taylor, A-: At this point in the draft, you're lucky to find contributors at offensive skill positions. Here, we found a difference making starter.

Pita Taumoepenu, NA: While we havnt seen anything from him, he hasn't shown as anything negative either, unlike Williams. Late round pick always expected to need development before ready.

Adrian Colbert, A+: Stud in the making. Clearly fills a major hole in the defense, making future drafts that much easier. 7th round starters are already As. He looks like a future all pro.

Overall: A-. My grades obviously don't add up to an A, but we gotta round up. To have hit on so many positive impact players is a you can ask for in a draft, and a major success

Great analysis, and I just will mention that the GM (I know Kyle calls the shots on offense in a sense) but I'm impressed with the defenders we got in the draft. I have to credit John Lynch and his instincts and experience on how he got some good defenders in the 2017 draft. He's played the DB position and he knows Saleh's scheme so he's one up on a lot of other GM's in drafting defensive players for the 49ers.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Pita was always going to be a project. One that might not pay off but he was never going to be a first year success. Out of the rest I was hoping for more from Joe Williams and maybe Thomas but he'll get there.
I agree with Adrian, especially on Joe Williams. Multiple reports were coming out of camp that coaches had to constantly pull Joe Williams aside to get him to practice with intensity. The guy was going through the motions. Kyle likely regrets this one.

This is a fair analysis and I get your reasoning on the rounding. I'd stick with a B or B+. As for Solomon Thomas, I'm hoping this is simply a case of there really isn't anyone to play RDE. They have kept Lynch inactive virtually all year. I'm hoping that next season Thomas comes in a little bigger and they move him inside.

Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I love when assessments are made on minimal use and pure speculation. An F and a major miss based on 25 rushing attempts in the preseason. He averaged over 5 YPC btw. And then you think he faked an IR injury that put him out the whole season. Lmao

I think the front office exaggerated an injury to red shirt him a year, yes. He apparently played and practiced with no intensity, leading to minimal snaps on game day. And his ball security? For this year, he gets a big fat F. Maybe he'll do better next year.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Dec 10, 2017 at 2:48 PM ]
Yep, very impressed with this draft, more so than I though I would be back in April.

1. Solomon: B.
Gets a lot of criticism on this board, but I think he's already proven he will be a valuable starter and maybe more than that. Still, it is fair to hope for more out of a #3 pick.
1. Reuben: A-
Guy is a stud on the field and a great locker-room presence. Only concern is the rash of injuries. Might not have a long career.
3. Witherspoon: A-
Looks like he'll be a starting-calibre CB for years to come. Excellent value.
3. C.J.: B+
Should be a good backup at minimum. Brings toughness and leadership.
4. Joe Williams: D
Still early, but he looks to be a bust. Not all 4th rounders are hits though.
5. Kittle: B+
I think he has a future as a starter, but he hasn't quite proven it yet. This pick could easily rise to an A.
6. Trent Taylor: A
A legit slot receiver and punt-returner is a great find in the fifth round.
6. D.J. Jones: B
Looks like he'll be a contributor going forward. I love his hustle.
7. Pita: B-
No expectations for a 7th rounder, so his grade is pretty meaningless. He hasn't been cut, and that says something.
7. Colbert: A
Incredible to find an above-replacement starter in the 7th. Absolute home-run pick!

That's about as high a GPA as a draft could have. 8/10 players that look like long-term contributors. And a handful of guys that are already among the best players on the team. Lynchahan
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice write up! Very productive draft so far

This!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice write up! Very productive draft so far

This!

Getting 4 young starters in Thomas, Foster, Witherspoon and Colbert on this already young and talented defense ( Buckner, Tartt, Armstead, Williams, Tank, Ward ) is amazing, this free agency I see a CB, WR, and OL signed to open up the draft for BPA, which will probably be 1 of Barkley, Landry, Key, Chubb, Smith or Nelson..
Colbert is the biggest surprise.
Share 49ersWebzone