LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Pre-Analysis of Next Year's Schedule

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Next year's opponents have all but been determined already. And this is what we'd be looking at, as of today:

Home

Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders
New York Giants (NFC East Same Place Finisher)
Seattle Seahawks (Div.)
Los Angeles Rams (Div.)
Arizona Cardinals (Div.)

Away
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFC South Same Place Finisher)
Seattle Seahawks (Div.)
Los Angeles Rams (Div.)
Arizona Cardinals (Div.)

On the surface, it looks like it has the potential to be a monstrously difficult schedule for us, especially if teams like Tampa, Chicago, Denver, SD, and NYG improve. However, there's always teams that underachieve, so we'll see. If we can land the following players through the draft and free agency, we have a shot to do some real damage:

1. Star Pass Rusher at LEO
2. Star Pass Rusher at OLB
3. Star #1 WR
4. True starter at C and LG at minimum, but ideally three new starters on the interior.

That's six players we need to be big-time winners, in my opinion. Realistically, we should probably expect get at least half of those players, at minimum. Getting half should make us a winning team around 9-7. But if we get all six, I think we're division title contenders, and maybe more.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 7, 2017 at 2:38 PM ]
I see 19 wins.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
I see 19 wins.

Conservatively, 20 if it's a leap year
8-8 with 10-6 possible if the offseason goes well
this
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
I see 19 wins.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Next year's opponents have all but been determined already. And this is what we'd be looking at, as of today:

Home

Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders
Seattle Seahawks (Div.)
Los Angeles Rams (Div.)
Arizona Cardinals (Div.)

Away
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Seattle Seahawks (Div.)
Los Angeles Rams (Div.)
Arizona Cardinals (Div.)

On the surface, it looks like it has the potential to be a monstrously difficult schedule for us, especially if teams like Tampa, Chicago, Denver, SD, and NYG improve. However, there's always teams that underachieve, so we'll see. If we can land the following players through the draft and free agency, we have a shot to do some real damage:

3. Star #1 WR
4. True starter at C and LG at minimum, but ideally three new starters on the interior.

That's six players we need to be big-time winners, in my opinion. Realistically, we should probably expect get at least half of those players, at minimum. Getting half should make us a winning team around 9-7. But if we get all six, I think we're division title contenders, and maybe more.

good analysis and I agree 90 percent of your point. They do need 3 new interior linemen, they do need a pash rushing "leo" and OLB. However, i don't think they need a true #1 WR. It would be extremely nice, but i wouldn't put that as a need. I still think a WR like Bryant from the steelers would be a good fit. A big and tall WR who could be a mismatch at the back of the endzone. In addition, I would like to see this team address the WR position early in the draft.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Home

Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders
Seattle Seahawks (Div.)
Los Angeles Rams (Div.)
Arizona Cardinals (Div.)

Away
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Seattle Seahawks (Div.)
Los Angeles Rams (Div.)
Arizona Cardinals (Div.)

3. Star #1 WR

good analysis and I agree 90 percent of your point. They do need 3 new interior linemen, they do need a pash rushing "leo" and OLB. However, i don't think they need a true #1 WR. It would be extremely nice, but i wouldn't put that as a need. I still think a WR like Bryant from the steelers would be a good fit. A big and tall WR who could be a mismatch at the back of the endzone. In addition, I would like to see this team address the WR position early in the draft.
I'm of the mind LEO with our #1 and OL with all three of our 60-70 range picks. WR, OL, CB, OLB in FA. Minimum.
I will be visiting Lambeau and hell is coming with me
I honestly don't hate the Raiders as a franchise but we need to beat them for the sake of every annoying Raider fan we have that has been talking smack since that game in 2014.
soooo how are home and away games determined? Just curious.

Originally posted by pdizo916:

Home

Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders
Seattle Seahawks (Div.)
Los Angeles Rams (Div.)
Arizona Cardinals (Div.)

Away
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Seattle Seahawks (Div.)
Los Angeles Rams (Div.)
Arizona Cardinals (Div.)

3. Star #1 WR

Ultimately, I think we just need another big-time offensive playmaker. But I'll agree, it's not the #1 need though, for sure.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
soooo how are home and away games determined? Just curious.
This is only to the best of my understanding so I will welcome a better, more accurate answer.

Two major factors go into the choice home/away:
1) Who was home in the last regular season matchup? That team will be visitors this time.
2) "Travel groupings" - I'm not sure how to describe this, but in every division opponents are grouped into 2s. Broncos and Raiders are one group for us, Chiefs and Chargers another. We will play home against one group, visitor against the other.

Also,
3) TV - that's how we can shatter the above two rules to play @Green Bay three straight times when we are both good teams and ratings will be sky high.

The first two rules are the most important. It's important to understand that they can not always be obeyed perfectly so teams may wind up being home or visitor twice in a row against the same team. Teams should never be home/home/home or visitor/visitor/visitor in consecutive games, but see #3 above.
I was actually already wondering about next years schedule, thx for this post.
  • thl408
Hell yeah the Bears game is at Levi's.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I honestly don't hate the Raiders as a franchise but we need to beat them for the sake of every annoying Raider fan we have that has been talking smack since that game in 2014.

This! Raider fans continue to brag about the 2014 defeat. Last battle of the bay before they leave for Vegas and it will be the cherry on top if we beat them.
Share 49ersWebzone