LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

If we sign Jimmy G to a long term contract who do you see us using the franchise tag on?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If we sign Jimmy G to a long term contract who do you see us using the franchise tag on?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Lol franchise tag on those scrubs.
Lynch would have to fire himself if he franchises any of those players.
Oops
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 5, 2017 at 1:13 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
What the hell? Go cut up some plays jd.

LOL. That's why I threw on the "I wouldn't give any of them a bag of lays" as an option. LOL.

Personally, I don't think we'll use it this year. I'm hoping we sign Jimmy to a long term deal before then.
  • dj43
Originally posted by English:
No one. No need.

this
  • dj43
Originally posted by jonnydel:

LOL. That's why I threw on the "I wouldn't give any of them a bag of lays" as an option. LOL.

Personally, I don't think we'll use it this year. I'm hoping we sign Jimmy to a long term deal before then.

Shortly after the trade, I heard Peter King suggest that there was a least a gentlemen's agreement between Lynch and Don Yee, JG's agent, as to the range of a contract that would be acceptable to both sides.

Yee is one of the more respected agent's around. He gets fair value for both sides. Hence, the idea that he will hold JG out until he sees what Cousins gets does not fit in this case.

As noted above, better to sign him to $22,000,000 now than to wait another year and wind up paying $24,000,000.

This off-season is going to be crazy with QBs and the price is almost certain to go up...a lot.
Originally posted by English:
No one. No need.

This
  • Antix
  • Veteran
lol
I know Shanny has said he's open and willing to using the franchise tag on Jimmy G. However, I feel like this year is the time for his market value to be lower. Do we really want K. Cousins setting the QB market? He's going to be paid one way or another and we'll end up with a top 10 guy being the highest paid player in the league. While 21 per year might seem steep now, it won't this time next year.

I expect the Broncos, Browns, Vikings, Cardinals, Jets, Bills and others to backup a dump truck load of money to K. Cousins house. The market value for a QB is going to skyrocket after this year.

So, I expect to see us sign Jimmy G to some sort of longer term deal before that time. That leaves us with a franchise tag option on the table to be used.

What say you? Who do we use it on?

Correct me if I am wrong on this premise. I read somewhere that Jimmy won't probably sign until he is franchised simply because it gives him more leverage if he is franchised a second time due to the increase. So he may agree in principal to a deal but only if the Niners put the franchise tag on him first. Thoughts?
What about a transition tag for Hyde?

Hes been productive, and it woild allow the Niners to focus on other needs in the draft.

If someone loves Hyde, go ahead and sign him to an offer sheet.

Finally, itd be good to see what Hyde could do with a legit oline and offense before deciding on offering him a long term deal.

The only other players on this team ever being worth the franchise tag would be Staley,DeFo and Foster. Maybe Trent Brown Other than that we just have guys
So from that list, I'd say nobody
Originally posted by dj43:

Shortly after the trade, I heard Peter King suggest that there was a least a gentlemen's agreement between Lynch and Don Yee, JG's agent, as to the range of a contract that would be acceptable to both sides.

Yee is one of the more respected agent's around. He gets fair value for both sides. Hence, the idea that he will hold JG out until he sees what Cousins gets does not fit in this case.

As noted above, better to sign him to $22,000,000 now than to wait another year and wind up paying $24,000,000.

This off-season is going to be crazy with QBs and the price is almost certain to go up...a lot.
Way off subject, but whatever happened to Leigh Steinberg? Did he retire from Steve Young's bonuses?
Originally posted by Butter:
What about a transition tag for Hyde?

Hes been productive, and it woild allow the Niners to focus on other needs in the draft.

If someone loves Hyde, go ahead and sign him to an offer sheet.

Finally, itd be good to see what Hyde could do with a legit oline and offense before deciding on offering him a long term deal.

Thats the thing..nobody will sign him knowing theyd have to give up two firsts if we dont match it.

Its definitely an option. Whatre the odds is something i can not tell you lol.
Just because the Franchise tag exists doesn't mean we should use it lol
Originally posted by dj43:

I don't think 22 gets it done. My guess is north of 24. Cousins is going to get 25+.
Share 49ersWebzone