There are 235 users in the forums

DL Sheldon Day

Shop 49ers game tickets
When I first read the title of the actual article "The 49ers have claimed Sheldon Day" I thought they were dedicating a game to The Big Bang Theory.
I'm glad we can stop focusing on DLMEN in the draft. Day is solid
Originally posted by Constantine:

A day one pass rushing SAM that can slide to the elephant in nickel is what wed need if you dont want a 3 down DL.
Originally posted by Constantine:

Just like no other 4-3 ever did
That KNBR article on the front page tho.

Even if Hay.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
That KNBR article on the front page tho.

Even if Hay.

It it it was the auto correct on the iPhone!!!
I think he will be a really good backup wgo gives us 10-15 solid snaps off the bench
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
is he suiting up this weekend ?

The unofficial depth chart released by the team has him backing up Buckner.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
A special talent at ND. Very slippery and difficult to block. I was a big fan of his leadership abilities as well. Hopefully, it translates to the pros.

If I remember correctly he actually ran OLB drills at the combine and Mayock was like lol.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

I think he could be a really good pick up for us. I'm kind of amazed really at how closely Shanny and Lynch are following the Bill Walsh playbook of building a winner. Long before Walsh turned the 49ers into a Super Bowl winner, he pulled these kinds of moves. He would scan the waiver wires looking for players from teams that had strong defenses and pick those young players up. Often, all they needed was a chance. They were too young to unseat the established star, or the star's backup. So they just didn't make the cut, even though they were extremely talented.

This is how Walsh lucked into "Tiny" (Dwaine Board), who currently serves as the D-Line Coach for the SeaChickens. Walsh picked him up in 1979 after the Steelers, with their famous Steel Curtain defense, cut him. Board would spend the next ten years with the 49ers, and earn three rings. He was our primary pass rusher before Charles Haley started earning snaps as the primary pass rusher in 1988. He would win his fourth ring with the 49ers as a coach in 1989.

Now -- Walsh did this with a lot of players in the early years. Not all of them panned out. In fact, the majority did not. Cocaine abuse was a huge problem in the NFL in the late 1970's and a lot of these castoffs came with "nose issues" (Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson comes to mind). So, a lot of these castoffs that Walsh signed didn't stick. Board was the exception. He stuck. Still -- you see Shanny and Lynch pulling the same moves from the same playbook. Scan those teams with young, strong defenses and pick up the players that just can't crack the lineup. Every once in a great while you'll strike gold.

Time will tell if Day sees the light of day. But the 49ers are in a position now to make these moves. We're not in playoff contention. We're young. We're rebuilding. This is how it's done. Through the draft. Through the waiver wire. Through key trades. Not through free agency. Free agency should only be used to pick up the final, missing piece. That missing star that makes an immediate impact (Neon Deion Sanders comes to mind for the '94 squad).

Every time I see news like this, it makes me smile. It's just another sign that Shanny and Lynch know what they are doing, and they are building a future powerhouse stocked with star players at every position.

But this isn't the true test. The true test comes later, after these two have built the 49ers into a powerhouse they will become. Walsh picked up future stars through the middle rounds of the draft when our draft position was anything but good. Often, we picked last or close to last in every round because we'd won the Super Bowl the previous year or advanced very close to it. That poor draft position didn't stop Walsh from nailing draft after draft after draft and finding stars that other teams passed up.

Originally posted by billbird2111:

I think he could be a really good pick up for us. I'm kind of amazed really at how closely Shanny and Lynch are following the Bill Walsh playbook of building a winner. Long before Walsh turned the 49ers into a Super Bowl winner, he pulled these kinds of moves. He would scan the waiver wires looking for players from teams that had strong defenses and pick those young players up. Often, all they needed was a chance. They were too young to unseat the established star, or the star's backup. So they just didn't make the cut, even though they were extremely talented.

This is how Walsh lucked into "Tiny" (Dwaine Board), who currently serves as the D-Line Coach for the SeaChickens. Walsh picked him up in 1979 after the Steelers, with their famous Steel Curtain defense, cut him. Board would spend the next ten years with the 49ers, and earn three rings. He was our primary pass rusher before Charles Haley started earning snaps as the primary pass rusher in 1988. He would win his fourth ring with the 49ers as a coach in 1989.

Now -- Walsh did this with a lot of players in the early years. Not all of them panned out. In fact, the majority did not. Cocaine abuse was a huge problem in the NFL in the late 1970's and a lot of these castoffs came with "nose issues" (Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson comes to mind). So, a lot of these castoffs that Walsh signed didn't stick. Board was the exception. He stuck. Still -- you see Shanny and Lynch pulling the same moves from the same playbook. Scan those teams with young, strong defenses and pick up the players that just can't crack the lineup. Every once in a great while you'll strike gold.

Time will tell if Day sees the light of day. But the 49ers are in a position now to make these moves. We're not in playoff contention. We're young. We're rebuilding. This is how it's done. Through the draft. Through the waiver wire. Through key trades. Not through free agency. Free agency should only be used to pick up the final, missing piece. That missing star that makes an immediate impact (Neon Deion Sanders comes to mind for the '94 squad).

Every time I see news like this, it makes me smile. It's just another sign that Shanny and Lynch know what they are doing, and they are building a future powerhouse stocked with star players at every position.

But this isn't the true test. The true test comes later, after these two have built the 49ers into a powerhouse they will become. Walsh picked up future stars through the middle rounds of the draft when our draft position was anything but good. Often, we picked last or close to last in every round because we'd won the Super Bowl the previous year or advanced very close to it. That poor draft position didn't stop Walsh from nailing draft after draft after draft and finding stars that other teams passed up.

What a terrific post full of context!
Originally posted by NCommand:

What a terrific post full of context!

f**king kiss ass.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Signing is good for our depth behind Buck.

Excellent post!

Walsh getting Fred Deam was the missing piece that carried us thru.

Great call on Dwain Board. I recall him sacking Danny White to end the Dallas game made famous by "The Catch."

JL/KS are doing this the right way.

Getting Day is another building block.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Signing is good for our depth behind Buck.

Yeah, Buck might finally get a breather and if they feel secure with Day at 3T more and more, it also means Saleh can move his best DL around some and finally get him some 1on1's again.
Share 49ersWebzone