LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 337 users in the forums

Dexter Carter: 49ers traded Charles Haley because he 'messed with the wrong guy'

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darockzillahitman:
1. Haley didn't do squat in Dallas during their 2 Super Bowl seasons that actually blocked the 49ers from the SB. 10 sacks in 2 years. Tim Harris was better.
2. They didn't ignore it other than when they let Watters go after the SB season. They should have cut McDonald - who was a piss-poor coverage safety anyway - to clear the cap space. The next off-season, they tried to sign Rodney Hampton and the Giants outbid them. They lucked out on that one, as Hampton was an overrated turd.
3. Lott left via Plan B. Waymer was playing better than him at that point anyway.
4. LOL, what? Yeah, let's trade the greatest QB in history for a one-dimensional, piss-poor vs. the run finesse pass rusher, and keep a 37-year-old dink-and-dunk artist and a future career backup as the guys.
anyone who pooh poohs haleys contribution to dallas ,. lol. we agree on two , thats what i meant. the team screwed around with young as our best running back till terry kirby saved the day.. come on man. lott had alot left in the tank.... four we will just disagree on. young was a huge reason why we lost those games to the cowboys and it was only until the team bought him a defense that we could win a super bowl. i like young but i will always adhere to my opinion
Originally posted by cciowa:
1. Haley didn't do squat in Dallas during their 2 Super Bowl seasons that actually blocked the 49ers from the SB. 10 sacks in 2 years. Tim Harris was better.
2. They didn't ignore it other than when they let Watters go after the SB season. They should have cut McDonald - who was a piss-poor coverage safety anyway - to clear the cap space. The next off-season, they tried to sign Rodney Hampton and the Giants outbid them. They lucked out on that one, as Hampton was an overrated turd.
3. Lott left via Plan B. Waymer was playing better than him at that point anyway.
4. LOL, what? Yeah, let's trade the greatest QB in history for a one-dimensional, piss-poor vs. the run finesse pass rusher, and keep a 37-year-old dink-and-dunk artist and a future career backup as the guys.
anyone who pooh poohs haleys contribution to dallas ,. lol. we agree on two , thats what i meant. the team screwed around with young as our best running back till terry kirby saved the day.. come on man. lott had alot left in the tank.... four we will just disagree on. young was a huge reason why we lost those games to the cowboys and it was only until the team bought him a defense that we could win a super bowl. i like young but i will always adhere to my opinion

Explain to me what his huge contribution to Dallas was. The guy only got 6 freak'n sacks in 1992, and 4 freak'n sacks in 1993. Tim Harris got 17 sacks for us in 1992. In what world is 6 sacks better than 17?

The only reason Haley is even in the HOF is he had 5 Super Bowl rings and gets way too much credit for contributing to those; he was on loaded teams when he got them.

Young was absolutely NOT a huge reason we lost those games to Dallas. How absurd. When is the last time you actually watched those games? He had practically nothing to do with the 92-93 loss, where one of his two picks was a desperation heave with about 30 seconds left down 10 points (game was over). The other INT he threw, the Cowboys wound up getting ZERO points off it.

In other words, everybody but Young allowed 30 points to the Cowboys, which included fumbles by Ricky Watters, and Don Griffin on a punt return. Guy McIntyre's hold wiped out a deep touchdown pass to Jerry Rice that would have started us out up 7-0. Alvin Harper's breakaway slant against Don Griffin, with Dana Hall taking a terrible angle, sealed the loss.

When exactly did Montana win anything without a defense? In 1984, 1988, and 1989 the 49ers allowed 26, 28, and 26 points in the 3 playoff games COMBINED. Trent Dilfer could've won those 3 Super Bowls in that situation.

Montana also stunk against the Giants in the playoffs in 85, 86, and 90, and stunk against the Vikings in 87. Do you really think he's going to beat Dallas's top ranked D in a shootout? He's going to outscore Dallas's 30 points in the 92-93 NFC Championship game, or their 38 in the next year's conference championship game? Give me a freak'n break.
[ Edited by darockzillahitman on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:23 AM ]
Charles Haley was and is bipolar and was never diagnosed properly back then when nobody really gave a s**t about anything like that
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Charles Haley was and is bipolar and was never diagnosed properly back then when nobody really gave a s**t about anything like that

they just wanted him to do one thing which he did well... many had he and timmy been able to get along
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Explain to me what his huge contribution to Dallas was. The guy only got 6 freak'n sacks in 1992, and 4 freak'n sacks in 1993. Tim Harris got 17 sacks for us in 1992. In what world is 6 sacks better than 17?

The only reason Haley is even in the HOF is he had 5 Super Bowl rings and gets way too much credit for contributing to those; he was on loaded teams when he got them.

Young was absolutely NOT a huge reason we lost those games to Dallas. How absurd. When is the last time you actually watched those games? He had practically nothing to do with the 92-93 loss, where one of his two picks was a desperation heave with about 30 seconds left down 10 points (game was over). The other INT he threw, the Cowboys wound up getting ZERO points off it.

In other words, everybody but Young allowed 30 points to the Cowboys, which included fumbles by Ricky Watters, and Don Griffin on a punt return. Guy McIntyre's hold wiped out a deep touchdown pass to Jerry Rice that would have started us out up 7-0. Alvin Harper's breakaway slant against Don Griffin, with Dana Hall taking a terrible angle, sealed the loss.

When exactly did Montana win anything without a defense? In 1984, 1988, and 1989 the 49ers allowed 26, 28, and 26 points in the 3 playoff games COMBINED. Trent Dilfer could've won those 3 Super Bowls in that situation.

Montana also stunk against the Giants in the playoffs in 85, 86, and 90, and stunk against the Vikings in 87. Do you really think he's going to beat Dallas's top ranked D in a shootout? He's going to outscore Dallas's 30 points in the 92-93 NFC Championship game, or their 38 in the next year's conference championship game? Give me a freak'n break.
we will just agree to disagree on multiple points.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
"Cough-it-up Carter". True waste of a 1st round pick.

They thought carter would be dave meggett.
Meggett had powerful legs and hips--carter had the hips of a 12 year old girl.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame

I guess the whole,''locker room masturbating in front of teammates ,'' thing was far more unimportant to bring up ,eh Dexter?
http://larrybrownsports.com/football/charles-haley-penis-masturbation/269742
Whatever he did you try and work it out and if you can't you trade him to a weak AFC team. Not the Cowboys, an up and coming team in the NFC that already looked like it would be our biggest obstacle to getting to the Superbowl. That was truly a bonehead move, Let's give our biggest competition the best pass rusher in the NFL - Pure Genius.
Originally posted by luv49rs:

Charles Haley is 30th in NFL history in sacks. He is tied with William Fuller, who will never make the Hall of Fame. He is behind Jim Jeffcoat, who will never make the Hall of Fame. He had only 4 seasons in the Top 10 in the NFL in sacks.

Those are not Hall of Fame numbers.

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Whatever he did you try and work it out and if you can't you trade him to a weak AFC team. Not the Cowboys, an up and coming team in the NFC that already looked like it would be our biggest obstacle to getting to the Superbowl. That was truly a bonehead move, Let's give our biggest competition the best pass rusher in the NFL - Pure Genius.

He wasn't the best pass rusher in the NFL. Not even close. Ever heard of Reggie White? Bruce Smith? Kevin Greene? Chris Doleman?

The guy got 6 sacks for the Cowboys the next year, and 4 the year after that, when they won back-to-back Super Bowls.

And another thing nobody mentions: The picks we got for Haley turned into Dana Stubblefield, Bryant Young, and William Floyd.

We won that trade in a major way, and the narrative is that it went down the opposite way. Haley did not win the Cowboys the NFC. Irvin, Aikman, Smith, Harper, their offensive line, etc. did.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

He wasn't the best pass rusher in the NFL. Not even close. Ever heard of Reggie White? Bruce Smith? Kevin Greene? Chris Doleman?

The guy got 6 sacks for the Cowboys the next year, and 4 the year after that, when they won back-to-back Super Bowls.

And another thing nobody mentions: The picks we got for Haley turned into Dana Stubblefield, Bryant Young, and William Floyd.

We won that trade in a major way, and the narrative is that it went down the opposite way. Haley did not win the Cowboys the NFC. Irvin, Aikman, Smith, Harper, their offensive line, etc. did.

I'd have to go back and look....but I don't think this is correct
Share 49ersWebzone