LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Garnett, Armstead, Ward & Hyde

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Webzone Fam, What kind of future do you see for these guys if any?

I think Hyde has a future here and he would be a great 1-2 punch with someone.

Garnett, out of all these guys, I think we need him the most to pan out but I just don't know about him. Knee issues and he already wasn't very mobile or athletic before. Next year will obviously be a boom or bust year for him.

Ward: He would be a really good and ideal 5th DB who would be our nickel corner and top back-up CB and FS. Even then though, can you trust him to stay healthy? Will they want to pay a nickel corner $5+mill per? We shall see, but I don't think he will be back next year.

Armstead: I am done with him. I don't think he is a good football player and I don't think he has any kind of future here. It sucks we whiffed on on a pick so bad but I do think Ronald Blair will end up having a solid NFL career here and that could make up for it a little bit.

What say you guys?
[ Edited by StubbyNBY on Nov 16, 2017 at 11:59 AM ]
Garnett - good backup who may develop into a starter

Armstead- good rotational lineman in a defensive system that needs them

Ward- solid CB

Hyde- top 10 RB, carrying the offensive load this year
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Nov 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM ]
Re-sign hyde if he doesn't break the bank. Eh I'm all for trading armstead for a 5th round pick. Garnett could be a decent backup. Cut Ward.
I'd keep Ward for depth, like you said as a back up safety / 5th DB. he has some value there.

Garnett is basically either a keeper or goner next year

AA, he just needs to be gone, one of the biggest busts in our history.

Hyde needs to go as well. don't think he shows up enough and doesn't play with a high motor. wouldn't give him the 4-5 year contract he wants, and i don't think there's other teams that will either. interesting to see what's going to happen to him.
I hope we hang on to Hyde , he deserves a chance to play on a 49ers offense with more weapons around him, and hopefully we find that quick slashing RB to compliment Hyde, Breida or Williams could be that RB , who knows? , but then again we draft another RB that fits what we want to do

Garnett needs to come back strong , either way we need to strengthen the interior of the offensive line , Fusco and Kilgore need to be replaced , we need interior lineman that have the potential to dominate, and still possess ceilings and room to grow and improve

Ward would be a luxury to have on the roster, a free safety who can play CB in a pinch, his versatility would be a huge asset if he can stay healthy , but he will have his work cut out for him if he wants to remain on the roster , we could easily draft a safety to groom for the future , but then again Tartt and Colbert could step in and be the safeties we need to build a solid secondary

Armstead is toast , he cant play a full season , and hasn't shown anything to keep a spot on the team for him , we need quality edge rushers, and Arik doesnt seem to fit the bill as a dominant edge rusher
Garnett came into camp fat. Larry Kruger said he looked "sloppy." He wasn't good in pass pro his rookie year, and I don't think he's a great fit in this scheme, either. I would entertain offers for him.

I would look to move AA. I would take a fourth for him right now.

Hyde is interesting. I think he's becoming a better outside zone runner and would be happy to resign him. That said, this forthcoming RB class is ridiculously deep with players who fit the system much more naturally.

Ward is whatever. I like him, but he can't stay healthy. If Colbert continues to play the way he has, Ward is expendable. He's not an outside CB in this scheme, so he's limited to the slot and FS depth.
  • thl408
Garnett: backup with some upside. I don't think he fits what the 49ers want to do with their OL.
Armstead: let him play out his contract. Cheap depth.
Ward: re-sign him and put him back at slot. KWilliams is not impressive. Primary slot, backup FS has value.
Hyde: re-sign him to a deal with 'RB by committee' type of pay. Or some deal where the team can cut ties after 2-3 years. If he wants to find a #1 RB type of deal, let him go.
Garnett was dookie last year but I am hopeful he can be good, I wouldn't count on him as a starter on a good line yet.
AA sucks but this team is full of below average players. Keep him around until you have guys who are better to start and backup. He has no trade value.
Ward is a keeper, he is average or better and there are few of those types in the secondary.
Hyde is the team MVP. A bad team should keep its best player. Getting rid of Hyde creates another hole on a roster full of holes.
I see Hyde getting a contract and I don't see any of the guys moving on (until their contracts are up).

Ward is a better slot DB than Williams and at min that could be his role next yr (depending on Colbert's growth at FS). Kyle reportedly was a big fan of Garnett coming out of the draft, I wish they would have put him on IR designated to return this yr. AA is who he is, a big body who get's some push nothing really more IMO.
Do we assume A. Lynch is gone?
Was hoping he would be the pass rusher we so badly need.
Need OL & Pass Rusher as top priority next year.
I don't think there's a number 1 & number 2 there. We need both equally as bad..
OL to keep our QB upright so that may be top priority.

Originally posted by jeepzilla:
I don't think there's a number 1 & number 2 there. We need both equally as bad..

I was hoping to see him (Lynch) play at some point...no way his calf is that messed up (or he'd be on IR) I think his days in SF are all but done.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Garnett - good backup who may develop into a starter

Armstead- good rotational lineman in a defensive system that needs them

Ward- solid CB

Hyde- top 10 RB, carrying the offensive load this year

Send all four to Cleveland for their 3rd rounder.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
I'd keep Ward for depth, like you said as a back up safety / 5th DB. he has some value there.

Garnett is basically either a keeper or goner next year

AA, he just needs to be gone, one of the biggest busts in our history.

Hyde needs to go as well. don't think he shows up enough and doesn't play with a high motor. wouldn't give him the 4-5 year contract he wants, and i don't think there's other teams that will either. interesting to see what's going to happen to him.

Like 👍
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

Yea, he gone! He will be in Seattle next year lol
Originally posted by Heroism:
Garnett came into camp fat. Larry Kruger said he looked "sloppy." He wasn't good in pass pro his rookie year, and I don't think he's a great fit in this scheme, either. I would entertain offers for him.

I would look to move AA. I would take a fourth for him right now.

Hyde is interesting. I think he's becoming a better outside zone runner and would be happy to resign him. That said, this forthcoming RB class is ridiculously deep with players who fit the system much more naturally.

Ward is whatever. I like him, but he can't stay healthy. If Colbert continues to play the way he has, Ward is expendable. He's not an outside CB in this scheme, so he's limited to the slot and FS depth.

I think at the very best we get a 4th rd pick for Armstead and maybe a 5th for Garnett. I would take it for Armstead but I would almost rather give Garnett one last shot than trade him for a 5th or 6th rd pick
Share 49ersWebzone