LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 141 users in the forums

We need weapons.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Am I the only quietly hoping we draft the best offensive weapon next year? Seriously other than Hyde who's a legit threat on offense? An aging hurt Garcon, a rookie TE with a case of the dropsies?? We need to bring some great offensively to compete.

I know this goes against conventional wisdom of fixing our dreadful O-line. But many times this season when the QB has had time to throw no one is breaking free.. I guess I'm just ready for an exciting offense again. Been far too long.
Check the draft forum. And no you're not the only one.
But many times this season when the QB has had time to throw no one is breaking free..

Wide receivers have been getting open every single game. Many times in the endzone. You can look through the game film review thread weekly for examples. The QB either doesn't see them or is too busy running for their life.

Shanahan is excellent at scheming guys open. What he can't do is scheme mediocre linemen into not getting blown off the line of scrimmage play after play.

They need upgrades at WR and RB but all the offensive weapons in the world don't mean diddly squat if you can't block for your RB and protect your QB. If your QB goes down, your season is over, regardless of who you have running routes out there.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Offensive line bulldozers and barricades!!! That will be some awesome new weapons.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
But many times this season when the QB has had time to throw no one is breaking free..

Wide receivers have been getting open every single game. Many times in the endzone. You can look through the game film review thread weekly for examples. The QB either doesn't see them or is too busy running for their life.

Shanahan is excellent at scheming guys open. What he can't do is scheme mediocre linemen into not getting blown off the line of scrimmage play after play.

They need upgrades at WR and RB but all the offensive weapons in the world don't mean diddly squat if you can't block for your RB and protect your QB. If your QB goes down, your season is over, regardless of who you have running routes out there.

this x 1000 First and foremost this team needs to build a great offensive line
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Am I the only quietly hoping we draft the best offensive weapon next year? Seriously other than Hyde who's a legit threat on offense? An aging hurt Garcon, a rookie TE with a case of the dropsies?? We need to bring some great offensively to compete.

I know this goes against conventional wisdom of fixing our dreadful O-line. But many times this season when the QB has had time to throw no one is breaking free.. I guess I'm just ready for an exciting offense again. Been far too long.

Skill players are worthless if you can't block for them.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
this x 1000 First and foremost this team needs to build a great offensive line

One of the constants of those great 49ers teams, pretty much from the very beginning was quality OL. Even when they didn't have any particularly amazing weapons, they had high quality OL play.

It does no good to bring in a new QB in Garoppolo, surround him with weapons and then watch him run for his life, game after game. To rip off a line from "The Blindside", after paying the mortgage, the very next thing you pay is the home insurance.

If you are going to give Garoppolo $21+ mil a year, you'd better invest heavily, FA + draft on guys to help keep him vertical.
Baalke was a supreme fraud. He left this team in shambles. This is what the extremely negative fans(?) refuse to acknowledge. Lynch/Shanahan had to blow the whole thing up in order to start from scratch. It's like an expansion team at this point.

Ya we had losing seasons in 2015 and 2016 but that had nothing to do with Lynch/Shanahan. We do need weapons. We need EVERYTHING.

We need offensive linemen (A center and two gaurds). We need WR, RB and TE depth. We need a pass rusher, CB, LB and depth on defense. We need at least 7 new quality starters with a couple pro-bowlers on both sides of the ball.

Everything we need can't be done in one offseason. This year was all about "blowing the old team up" while installing new systems with a few key players that will be here long term. Getting Garoppolo this year was huge.

Next step is offensive line, pass rusher, WR and CB. The next offseason will be huge. If they don't fix this line and start winning some games in 2018 things are going to look bleak. Year two of a total rebuild should look better than year one. If we're not pushing for the playoffs by year three I'll be out of patience.

I don't understand how anyone in their right mind could freak out year one of a total rebuild.
[ Edited by LeProfessionnel on Nov 4, 2017 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Baalke was a supreme fraud. He left this team in shambles. This is what the extremely negative fans(?) refuse to acknowledge. Lynch/Shanahan had to blow the whole thing up in order to start from scratch. It's like an expansion team at this point.

Ya we had losing seasons in 2015 and 2016 but that had nothing to do with Lynch/Shanahan. We do need weapons. We need EVERYTHING.

We need offensive linemen (A center and two gaurds). We need WR, RB and TE depth. We need a pass rusher, CB, LB and depth on defense. We need at least 7 new quality starters with a couple pro-bowlers on both sides of the ball.

Everything we need can't be done in one offseason. This year was all about "blowing the old team up" while installing new systems with a few key players that will be here long term. Getting Garoppolo this year was huge.

Next step is offensive line, pass rusher, WR and CB. The next offseason will be huge. If they don't fix this line and start winning some games in 2018 things are going to look bleak. Year two of a total rebuild should look better than year one. If we're not pushing for the playoffs by year three I'll be out of patience.

I don't understand how anyone in their right mind could freak out year one of a total rebuild.

Who said the people freaking out and expecting miracles this year are in their right minds?
Oh really? I thought we had so many weapons that we needed to trade some.

Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:

Who said the people freaking out and expecting miracles this year are in their right minds?

lol
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Oops
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Nov 4, 2017 at 7:23 PM ]
I watch the Cowboys pushing defenses 5 yards past the line scrimmage, just load up on big offensive linemen in the first few rounds. There are some nice wide receivers in free agency to take care of that position. The D may have to wait a year, we drafted there the last few years, maybe they will produce in 2018.
Originally posted by jays9ers:

Have to build an offensive line for Garoppolo. I guess we can do that via free agency. It would also be the quickest and safest way seeing college linemen are having issues with the jump to the NFL. It would be very expensive though.

I'd be OK if we drafted Barkley as long as we fixed this line. I'd be ok if we traded back and picked up a WR and gaurd. Then RB in round 3. There's a lot we can do with 4 draft picks in the top 3 rounds and $120 million cap space.
[ Edited by LeProfessionnel on Nov 4, 2017 at 7:30 PM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I watch the Cowboys pushing defenses 5 yards past the line scrimmage, just load up on big offensive linemen in the first few rounds. There are some nice wide receivers in free agency to take care of that position. The D may have to wait a year, we drafted there the last few years, maybe they will produce in 2018.
Dak, Wentz, Goff or Watson wouldn't be doing squat here behind this line.

The thing that scares me about drafting a bunch of linemen is the fact so many are busting these days. I'd be more comfortable drafting gaurd and goung after center in free agency. Maybe draft LT next year early. Spread it out some.
Share 49ersWebzone