LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dioworld:
The reason why he's bad on deep pass in PRACTICE
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/20170728/patriots-notebook-jimmy-garoppolo-uses-training-camp-for-testing-different-passes

dude is trying out and find out what our receiving cores can catch. if he don't try it in practice, when do you think he'll try it on? real game?
wait until this guy play before criticizing his long balls and etc.....

Yes and no. His footwork is really bad for how incredible he's been so far. His delivery makes up for the bad footwork a lot on the short to medium range throws, but if you reealy look, and I didn't until this off after watching a video on the subject, his footwork really is not good and a serious detriment on the long throws where proper foot mechanics are king for long ball consistency. Good news is that it is something he can and I believe likely will correct. He's too humble and too hard a worker not to address it, not to mention he plays under Kyle so I'm not too terribly concerned.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 31, 2018 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Cris Carter to 49ers: Stop talking Super Bowl because I can't name 10 players on the team

That's OK Chris, because I can't even name just ONE player who you won a Super Bowl with. Oh wait.......

*SHOTS FIRED*

MAN DOWN !!!
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Cris Carter to 49ers: Stop talking Super Bowl because I can't name 10 players on the team

That's OK Chris, because I can't even name just ONE player who you won a Super Bowl with. Oh wait.......

*SHOTS FIRED*

MAN DOWN !!!
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by acrownlessking:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
The Rams have a way of bringing out such things in this team.

Man, Taylor and Rice were so fun to watch in that game.

John Taylor was a good punt returner. I can see John Taylor 2.0 with Pettis. Goodwin makes a good impression of Freddie Solomon. We just have to find that elite go-to guy (Clark/Rice) - Garcon is a good sub until we do. Maybe we draft one next year?

We need to get our guy (JG) a true number 1 receiver. if one of these guys don't step up, i can see us going for a top target next off season, be it draft or FA

Jerry was the (I think) the 16th pick in the '85 draft and Dwight would be undrafted today. So between those two draft positions, we should be able to find a go-to-guy next year.

Lol yes sir there u go ! Nice analysis

Jimmy! Most efficient QB in 2017

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/20170728/patriots-notebook-jimmy-garoppolo-uses-training-camp-for-testing-different-passes

dude is trying out and find out what our receiving cores can catch. if he don't try it in practice, when do you think he'll try it on? real game?

Yes and no. His footwork is really bad for how incredible he's been so far. His delivery makes up for the bad footwork a lot on the short to medium range throws, but if you reealy look, and I didn't until this off after watching a video on the subject, his footwork really is not good and a serious detriment on the long throws where proper foot mechanics are king for long ball consistency. Good news is that it is something he can and I believe likely will correct. He's too humble and too hard a worker not to address it, not to mention he plays under Kyle so I'm not too terribly concerned.

I disagree, his footwork is excellent in general and just because someone has a video on Youtube doesn't mean the person who made it is an expert. His footwork has not been consistent for long throws but, as I said earlier on this thread, to be able to step into a deep throw you need time and protection from the oline, something which was sadly lacking last season.
Originally posted by acrownlessking:
We need to get our guy (JG) a true number 1 receiver. if one of these guys don't step up, i can see us going for a top target next off season, be it draft or FA

That's not going to happen. I can't even imagine a scenario that would involve them making a receiver a priority acquisition. Hardly any of them drafted in the first round ever turn out to be worth it and any FA that would be available probably wouldn't be worth their asking price. If I am not mistaken Shanahan himself has gone on record as saying that receivers like Julio Jones are a luxury in his system, not a necessity. Something that was more or less born out by the fact that with some rookies, castoff's, well travelled vets and UDFA's Garoppolo was throwing for almost 300 yards a game during his winning streak. How many more yards does he have to throw for per game for people to consider the passing game successful and how much difference would a "true number 1" have made in those numbers? I think the whole number 1 receiver thing is a bit misleading in relation to Shanahan's scheme and Garoppolo's skill set, both of which seem to revolve around quick throws on short to intermediate patterns were the receivers can get separation and put themselves in a position to pick up yards after the catch.
Originally posted by Buchy:

I disagree, his footwork is excellent in general and just because someone has a video on Youtube doesn't mean the person who made it is an expert. His footwork has not been consistent for long throws but, as I said earlier on this thread, to be able to step into a deep throw you need time and protection from the oline, something which was sadly lacking last season.

+1

Na not really. Dude has great footwork. It's one of his strengths. lol.

I don't understand how some people are saying how bad Jimmies footwork is. From what I've heard there is really only one flaw in it that affects accuracy on the deep ball. He looks like a freaking ballerina back there. Can you explain what's so bad about his footwork?
Jimmy's drop back is pretty good. On par with some of the best Brady and Montana. Where it differ is his release. He has talked about it before. It starts with that back leg pushing up and through to his upper body and then the rotation into the arm.

So instead of mostly pulling back the arm like other qb, his release is quicker going from his lower body and twisting through into his arm. With that, he doesn't need a lot of room to throw a good pass, and defender can't get an early hint of when he will throw, from his arm pulling back as much as other qb.

Originally posted by jvangeystel:
I don't understand how some people are saying how bad Jimmies footwork is. From what I've heard there is really only one flaw in it that affects accuracy on the deep ball. He looks like a freaking ballerina back there. Can you explain what's so bad about his footwork?

Watch this video. It has been posted here a few times but seems to be a pretty fair assessment of the issues that he has with his footwork and how it affects his accuracy at times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymIOgCfa9pY
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by jvangeystel:

Watch this video. It has been posted here a few times but seems to be a pretty fair assessment of the issues that he has with his footwork and how it affects his accuracy at times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymIOgCfa9pY

lol still not as bad as that guy made it out to be.

And what gives you the authority to have an opinion about his footwork mechanics?
[ Edited by CrankDatCrabtree on Jun 1, 2018 at 9:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone