LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by susweel:

Dominic Aragon‏ @Bearded49ersFan How has Garoppolo looked in contrast to the QBs the 49ers have had over the past few years?

ANSW: He's looked OK in the two practices reporters have watched. I can't remember a quarterback ever looking sensational in spring practices when they're throwing to an array of receivers and often learning new plays. Garoppolo looked great in seven-on-seven drills in the red zone yesterday, showing his quick release and nice touch on some corner-of-end zone throws. Of course, any quarterback *should* excel there since there's zero pass rush. His deep balls have, quite frankly, been a bit ugly (I know; that's not a word often associated with Jimmy G) with even his completions being a smidge under-thrown. It might turn out that Garoppolo, with his excellent improvisational skills and gunslinger style, is a better game-day quarterback than practice passer. I don't think anyone would mind if that bears out.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article212259334.html#storylink=cpy

I think that's why he'll remain a very good, but not great QB. The mastery over the short and intermediate throws will keep us in games and allow us to move the ball on anyone, but he'll suffer from 15+ INTs per year probably.

Dang that's a lot of ints for $137 million.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
so he's Alex Smith.

Dominic Aragon‏ @Bearded49ersFan How has Garoppolo looked in contrast to the QBs the 49ers have had over the past few years?

ANSW: He's looked OK in the two practices reporters have watched. I can't remember a quarterback ever looking sensational in spring practices when they're throwing to an array of receivers and often learning new plays. Garoppolo looked great in seven-on-seven drills in the red zone yesterday, showing his quick release and nice touch on some corner-of-end zone throws. Of course, any quarterback *should* excel there since there's zero pass rush. His deep balls have, quite frankly, been a bit ugly (I know; that's not a word often associated with Jimmy G) with even his completions being a smidge under-thrown. It might turn out that Garoppolo, with his excellent improvisational skills and gunslinger style, is a better game-day quarterback than practice passer. I don't think anyone would mind if that bears out.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article212259334.html#storylink=cpy

I think that's why he'll remain a very good, but not great QB. The mastery over the short and intermediate throws will keep us in games and allow us to move the ball on anyone, but he'll suffer from 15+ INTs per year probably.

4500 yds 28 TDs 15 INTs....

Seems like a Franchise QB to me
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

gotta keep the Ints under 10 imo
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
The Rams have a way of bringing out such things in this team.

Man, Taylor and Rice were so fun to watch in that game.

John Taylor was a good punt returner. I can see John Taylor 2.0 with Pettis. Goodwin makes a good impression of Freddie Solomon. We just have to find that elite go-to guy (Clark/Rice) - Garcon is a good sub until we do. Maybe we draft one next year?

We need to get our guy (JG) a true number 1 receiver. if one of these guys don't step up, i can see us going for a top target next off season, be it draft or FA
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
so he's Alex Smith.

Please no

I agree, but most QBs that throw for 4500 yards are going to have more than 10 turnovers... i could be wrong though!
Originally posted by acrownlessking:

I agree, but most QBs that throw for 4500 yards are going to have more than 10 turnovers... i could be wrong though!

Plus, 15 INTS is a lot for a FQB... i don't see jimmy throwing 1 pick every game... i don't seem him having games with multiple picks (maybe 1 or 2, but i doubted). So i do admit that his picks should be lower than 15, but lower than 10 would just be an amazing season for him. like tom brady / drew brees numbers
http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/116327-carter-49ers-talking-super-because-name-players-team/

"Look, Jimmy Garoppolo did a lot of good things last year," he said. "Matt Flynn did a lot of good things in Green Bay. He was 5-0 before he went to Seattle and then he never played significantly again after that.

Eric Mangini's comparison of Jimmy G to Matt Flynn is totally absurd and inaccurate. Saying he was 5-0 before going to Seattle, lol. He was 1-1.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/116327-carter-49ers-talking-super-because-name-players-team/

"Look, Jimmy Garoppolo did a lot of good things last year," he said. "Matt Flynn did a lot of good things in Green Bay. He was 5-0 before he went to Seattle and then he never played significantly again after that.

Eric Mangini's comparison of Jimmy G to Matt Flynn is totally absurd and inaccurate. Saying he was 5-0 before going to Seattle, lol. He was 1-1.

The fact that Eric Mangini gets paid to talk is preposterous.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

With commentary like that I am absolutely shocked that Mangini can't find work in the NFL.
He's already past that.

n***a look like a Bond villain.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
He's already past that.

n***a look like a Bond villain.
Bond Villain sidekick
Originally posted by Jack49ers84:
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article212193194.html

Sounds like he is still having a few issues on his deep passes, but overall is pretty sharp.
Timing and chemistry.

This whole hubbub about his deep accuracy is a joke. With the turnstiles pretending to be offensive lineman that we had last year, Jimmy had to get the ball off quick so there weren't many opportunities for 7 step drop bombs.

With a competent oline and a QB that works the entire field, Jimmy will have plenty of opportunities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBoj4bQCaQs

Nothing wrong with this kid's arm.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Jack49ers84:
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article212193194.html

Sounds like he is still having a few issues on his deep passes, but overall is pretty sharp.
Timing and chemistry.

This whole hubbub about his deep accuracy is a joke. With the turnstiles pretending to be offensive lineman that we had last year, Jimmy had to get the ball off quick so there weren't many opportunities for 7 step drop bombs.

With a competent oline and a QB that works the entire field, Jimmy will have plenty of opportunities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBoj4bQCaQs

Nothing wrong with this kid's arm.

His arm is fine, his footwork needs help.
Share 49ersWebzone