There are 266 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
If Kyle preffered Cousins then he could have easily traded or cut Jimmy, or not even trade for him in the first place...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
If Kyle preffered Cousins then he could have easily traded or cut Jimmy, or not even trade for him in the first place...

Walsh was initially going to draft two different quarterbacks, Simms being one of them, it took an urgent last minute call from a scout at Notre Dame with tapes for Walsh to budge.

He did not know how Jimmy would turn out. He was plan B. Once Jimmy proved himself. it was all good. The interest was always there, it is just that how fast could Jimmy pick it up, would he take a whole year like Ryan did? Cousins would not require that. Just getting familiar with the players. Plus you can't just cut or trade Jimmy. that would just waste a draft pick. Plus, you would have to get Cousins under contract first, then who give you what you want in Jimmy when you got to QBs?

Then there is the added trust, Bill traded Jimmy to us knowing we would take care of him properly (Bill actually like Jimmy), cause of his good relations with the HC and GM. Do that, then any future endevours with the Pats with Bill there or with Bill if he moved on would be cut and he would want blood, in the scheme of things, everyone said we got Jimmy on the cheap and we did.
?

[ Edited by Afrikan on Mar 26, 2018 at 4:35 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
He did not know how Jimmy would turn out. He was plan B. Once Jimmy proved himself. it was all good. The interest was always there, it is just that how fast could Jimmy pick it up, would he take a whole year like Ryan did? Cousins would not require that. Just getting familiar with the players. Plus you can't just cut or trade Jimmy. that would just waste a draft pick. Plus, you would have to get Cousins under contract first, then who give you what you want in Jimmy when you got to QBs?

Then there is the added trust, Bill traded Jimmy to us knowing we would take care of him properly (Bill actually like Jimmy), cause of his good relations with the HC and GM. Do that, then any future endevours with the Pats with Bill there or with Bill if he moved on would be cut and he would want blood, in the scheme of things, everyone said we got Jimmy on the cheap and we did.

Was Jimmy plan b when the Niners tried to trade for him before last years draft? Because that kinda ruins your whole narrative huh?

The Niners could have easily traded him to CLE or AZ and gotten their pick back
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Mar 26, 2018 at 5:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
I can't believe Kyle would rather have cousins...smdh

He obviously preffered Jimmy

eastcoast acting like this is shocking news lol.

Thats not even what Lynch said. People hear what they want to hear.

Lynch said Kyle was in mourning over the death of his on paper plan that hinged on Cousins. Obviously if Shanahan actually preferred Cousins, he wouldn't have asked Belichick about trading him at the Combine last year.
"That day was really like Christmas to us," Lynch said of the Oct. 30 trade with New England for a second-round draft pick. "Jimmy was a guy that we had coveted. We did a lot of work on him in the offseason. We'd attempted to make a deal. It was rebuffed on a couple of occasions. Shoot, when that opportunity fell into our lap, it was like Christmas."

He truly is Jimmy Gesus.

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/lynch-describes-garoppolo-trade-christmas-morning-not-mourning

Was Jimmy plan b when the Niners tried to trade for him before last years draft? Because that kinda ruins your whole narrative huh?

After how he ended the season? I bet we could have gotten AZ's 1 and 2 this, and then still signed Cousins the moment FA opened. They paid Jimmy because they really really like Jimmy and why shouldn't they. He was pretty dynamic.
Originally posted by WINiner:

After how he ended the season? I bet we could have gotten AZ's 1 and 2 this, and then still signed Cousins the moment FA opened. They paid Jimmy because they really really like Jimmy and why shouldn't they. He was pretty dynamic.

My point is that Jimmy initially wasn't plan b. He became that once BB denied our trade requests for Jimmy & Brady, so they gave up and moved onto getting Cousins in FA.

I think when BB called late in the year to see if we were interested, they were taken aback because they were now focused on getting Cousins.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I agree with your thoughts and I'll just add that if Marino had a back like McKinnon, I don't know if we win Super Bowl 1984. The quick release plus the ZBS plus the play action fake to Mckinnon is going to be unstoppable this year. But super bowls are win by defense, not offense.

Different era different scheme. McKinnon would not have mattered because the D was on fire and pissed from the media saying how is Joe going to keep up Marino? Like the D was invisible. The D got to Marino and did not allow him to get comfortable. They also rang the bells of the Marks brothers and Nathan. Just like the niners did to Chris Everett of the Rams in the playoffs one year. After that Marino still played great, but he never had a year like he did that year when he tossed I think 48 TDs?

Well true, Marino's system was totally different from Joe's offensive system.
But the quarterback in The Shula System is still basically the same - don't make the big mistake with an interception or a fumble, and when the big play is there, take advantage of it.''
https://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/04/sports/sports-of-the-times-marino-and-shula-s-system.html

Dan basically used a different system than what Joe used. No read options, Dan had to read the defense vs what Walsh taught Joe regarding wr pass route options.

Joe's offense was so much more balanced than Dan's though, and while I generally agree McKinnon may not have made a difference because of the different offensive systems, he's one dangerous player with Dan's quick release and the ability to maneuver in open space once he catches it.
asdf
[ Edited by Giedi on Mar 26, 2018 at 9:10 PM ]
A drastic move had to be made. It was getting embarrassing.
I fear for Jimmy having to go up against Suh and Donald with our o-line protecting him. He's gonna have to get rid of the ball ASAP every play and will still probably take a lot of hits.
Originally posted by JFG49ers:
I fear for Jimmy having to go up against Suh and Donald with our o-line protecting him. He's gonna have to get rid of the ball ASAP every play and will still probably take a lot of hits.

Shanny better come correct with the screen game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JFG49ers:
I just watched the opening drive with Jimmy at QB against the Jags. He sliced that defense up.
Share 49ersWebzone