LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Very tough to blitz Jimmy. If they go nickel or dime vs blitzing Jimmy, that will pose a problem for defenses once we have faster guards that can free up McKinnon to roll over DB's and Safeties' that come in when the LB's and DT's leave the field. Kyle is already countering today, what the future defensive coordinator's predicted defensive adjustments will be this next season. Pure genius and all because of the Jimmy GQ effect.

Garoppolo excelled at both. According to Pro Football Focus Signature Stats, Garoppolo was only under pressure on 32.6% of his drop backs (31st in the NFL), but led the NFL in completion percentage (33-53, 62.3% completion), yards per attempt (8.3ypa).

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1811-jimmy-garoppolo-season-review-part-under-pressure/

If people ever wonder what Dan Marino's quick release would be like in a WCO back in the 80's and 90's, it would be Jimmy with Kyle. I'm sure I wasn't the only one watching Marino back then and wonder what he would be like in a Walsh offense. It's devastating with the quick release and the short and intermediate passing offense. What Kyle trying to do is add more speed (I think the size comes later) to those areas, especially in those short area. It challenged the reaction time of the defense, both on the quick throw and tackling the quick receiver.

You can see a little of that in Aaron Rodgers but I don't think the Packers was fully successful at adding speed to go along with Rodgers somewhat quick release. Randall Cobb comes to mind but I don't remember a RB with power and speed combo. I think Kyles offense with Jimmy gonna be insane. That quick release and speed are tough to replicate in practice. Once in the game, it might be 14-17 points on the board before the defense realized what's happening. You can kinda see it with Goodwin and Taylor last year.

I agree with your thoughts and I'll just add that if Marino had a back like McKinnon, I don't know if we win Super Bowl 1984. The quick release plus the ZBS plus the play action fake to Mckinnon is going to be unstoppable this year. But super bowls are win by defense, not offense.
I can't believe Kyle would rather have cousins...smdh
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:

Cousins was a safer choice and a known option by Kyle than Jimmy's 2 starts with the Pats. While they waited for Cousins availability, they did asked to trade for Jimmy with Belichick and was shot down.

Kyle didn't rather, he kept his options open, tried to get who ever was available at the time.

Maybe Kyle was sad because he felt after escaping from the Redskins, the need to rescue Cousins from his Redskins abyss
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 26, 2018 at 12:23 PM ]

Cousins was a safer choice and a known option by Kyle than Jimmy's 2 starts with the Pats. While they waited for Cousins availability, they did asked to trade for Jimmy with Belichick and was shot down.

Kyle didn't rather, he kept his options open, tried to get who ever was available at the time.

Thanks I can sleep better at night now

Thanks I can sleep better at night now

Goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.
Very tough to blitz Jimmy. If they go nickel or dime vs blitzing Jimmy, that will pose a problem for defenses once we have faster guards that can free up McKinnon to roll over DB's and Safeties' that come in when the LB's and DT's leave the field. Kyle is already countering today, what the future defensive coordinator's predicted defensive adjustments will be this next season. Pure genius and all because of the Jimmy GQ effect.

Garoppolo excelled at both. According to Pro Football Focus Signature Stats, Garoppolo was only under pressure on 32.6% of his drop backs (31st in the NFL), but led the NFL in completion percentage (33-53, 62.3% completion), yards per attempt (8.3ypa).

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1811-jimmy-garoppolo-season-review-part-under-pressure/

If people ever wonder what Dan Marino's quick release would be like in a WCO back in the 80's and 90's, it would be Jimmy with Kyle. I'm sure I wasn't the only one watching Marino back then and wonder what he would be like in a Walsh offense. It's devastating with the quick release and the short and intermediate passing offense. What Kyle trying to do is add more speed (I think the size comes later) to those areas, especially in those short area. It challenged the reaction time of the defense, both on the quick throw and tackling the quick receiver.

You can see a little of that in Aaron Rodgers but I don't think the Packers was fully successful at adding speed to go along with Rodgers somewhat quick release. Randall Cobb comes to mind but I don't remember a RB with power and speed combo. I think Kyles offense with Jimmy gonna be insane. That quick release and speed are tough to replicate in practice. Once in the game, it might be 14-17 points on the board before the defense realized what's happening. You can kinda see it with Goodwin and Taylor last year.
Did someone say quick release?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 26, 2018 at 2:45 PM ]

Marino, had a quick release, but touch passes were not his thing, he had a strong arm and his balls flew hard and fast, but were more catchable than John Elway's. bullets.

He obviously preffered Jimmy
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Lmao
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

He obviously preffered Jimmy

eastcoast acting like this is shocking news lol.

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Haha. Taylor couldn't wait for fat ass #75 to get to the outside as a blocker, so he took #75 out of his misery.

Three linemen got to the second level. None worth a s**t on that play. . If Taylor was smart, he would've followed Staley to the outside

Taylor is a rookie. Relax. At least he got some yards.

Laken couldn't get there and got bowled over, don't expect him to start, Goodwin was partially at fault if that was him (11) since he couldn't sustain his block, that is part of the reason he could cut outside with the CB on the outside shoulder of Goodwin, he could have easily disengaged, thus Taylor cut back inside. Unfortunately Laken got in the way or Taylor would have gotten way more.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
That picture triggered me to look at whats happening at Michigan with Harbaugh. He's trying to get Cam Cameron as his QB coach. Interesting move, maybe Jim recognizes he's not doing a good job of coaching QB's?
I agree with your thoughts and I'll just add that if Marino had a back like McKinnon, I don't know if we win Super Bowl 1984. The quick release plus the ZBS plus the play action fake to Mckinnon is going to be unstoppable this year. But super bowls are win by defense, not offense.

Different era different scheme. McKinnon would not have mattered because the D was on fire and pissed from the media saying how is Joe going to keep up Marino? Like the D was invisible. The D got to Marino and did not allow him to get comfortable. They also rang the bells of the Marks brothers and Nathan. Just like the niners did to Chris Everett of the Rams in the playoffs one year. After that Marino still played great, but he never had a year like he did that year when he tossed I think 48 TDs?

Your right. Defense wins chips

Maybe Kyle was sad because he felt after escaping from the Redskins, the need to rescue Cousins from his Redskins abyss

Agreed, he knew what he had in Cousins, the scheme was updated and different players, but he knew what was required of the offense. Jimmy was an unknown quantity, they knew of him from scouting him when with the Browns. however, how would he faire in Kyle's system was not as sure. Remember Ryan took a year to learn and buy into Kyle's system. He is on record as believing that Cousins is even better than Ryan. If anyone can make that assumption it would Kyle.

Still, imagine if the Browns had listened to Kyle and taken Jimmy instead of Manziel? Then again, the way the Browns handled their situation, Jimmy might battered by now.
Share 49ersWebzone