LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Where is the Bottom?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I watched the Browns and they were beyond bad. I guess you could say they are in the category of wearing a brown paper bag over the head bad. I'm watching the Niners and they weren't that far removed from the Browns. Our top two draft picks, one is an undersized defensive lineman, and the other came to the team injured and continues to be injured. Our brain trust didn't even look at Watson at QB in the draft. When was the last time this team used a top pick on a skill position, Vernon? I can't buy the Silver Linings threads that says we are getting better. We had a few bullets in last years draft and we fired blanks thus far. Maybe they pan out, maybe they won't. Many say we are in great shape with cap space and draft picks. It's all speculation. Name me a blockbuster free agent signed during the Yorks' regime. Is this the bottom?
Vernon 2006
Crabtree 2009

I refuse to utter who we drafted in 2012. It wasn't a high pick, but was 1st round.

Yeah, just think......those two guys above were cornerstones of this team's offense this decade.
We're looking very good for 0-16.

Doesn't much lower than that.
This is pretty much bottom.
Last 23 games

1-22
We're there
Youngest roster in the league, 30 + new players, slew of injuries = possible 0-16 season.

But I still believe this team is headed in the right direction and is under the right leadership.

Stay faithful!!
Originally posted by jreff22:
We're there

A loss to the Cardinals at home would qualify as the bottom.
The bottom was last season when Baalke's ineptness left the roster devoid of talent across the board. KS and JL are only beginning to fix the mess they inherited. In spite of that fact KS had the team in positions to win 5 games. Not his fault multiple players wet the bed at the wrong time or we could be 5-3 instead of 0-8. Just reading some of the headlines on articles about the teams current record this season is great, they are absolutely comical. As in they somehow expected we were going to have a winning season this year . This year was always about the future, putting ourselves in positions to build our roster from scratch. Too bad so many people suffer from extreme myopia in thinking the team had a roster capable of seriously competing this year. No franchise QB, no #1WR, no premiere edge rushers, the list goes on. Thanks to bad drafting from 2012 to 2016 we were never going to win in 2017. With our injuries piling up it's not going to get any prettier out there.

started from the bottom now we..
Originally posted by jreff22:
We're there

People have been saying that for a few years. We won't know until we starting see the team improve.
It looked like the team will finish with a worse record and point differential for the fourth straight year.
0-8 isn't pretty but at this point my biggest concern is the injuries. Not much you can do if your team was already struggling for talent and now you're playing backups of backups.

When you were dangerously close to starting a TE at OT you know chit is hitting the fan.

However I saw a post earlier showing the life of Cleveland fans...

9:30am - Lose in London

1pm - Carson Wentz

4pm - Deshaun Watson

8pm - Steelers win

There's what we're going through...and there's the Browns. There is a crazy chance both of our teams finish 0-16 and I think we'd be picking #2 overall. That's how bad the Browns are.

However I think we're heading in the right direction even if the record doesn't reflect it. Have to do a great job in the draft next year and free agency and this team can turn around quickly.

IMO best thing for us is to sign Kirk Cousins or Jimmy Garoppolo in free agency, trade our #1/#2 likely draft pick to a team looking to draft QB for hopefully a mega haul and then go after playmakers or dominating in the trenches players.
This hopeless feeling set in when I watched the Texans-Seahawks game and witnessed the best young QB I've seen in a long time, Watson. He is light years ahead of any QB in his draft class. Did the 49ers invite him in for a look-see?
I believe in Lynch and Shanahan. I believe they are both strong football minds. Lynch seems like a great leader, a charismatic guy, and a person that has surrounded himself with smart people. Shanahan doesn't need much explanation -- he had great success in Atlanta, comes from a tremendous background (i.e. his father), etc.

However, there have been a lot of great football minds who failed as head coaches or general managers. There is no guarantee we're going to be good again. Yes, our team is young, and there is a lot of room to grow. The mistake people make is clinging to the narrative of "we're young, and therefore our players will grow and get better, and will become a great players." There's no guarantee any of these young players amount to anything. If this were true, you wouldn't see situations like the Browns being perpetually awful. Sometimes rebuilding efforts don't work out.

I don't think we will get worse, but I don't think returning to a 2012 level of competitiveness is a guarantee.
Share 49ersWebzone