LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Is the talent on the roster really as bad as many think?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Sstkid:
Besides Staley, there isn't a pro bowl caliber player on this team. Foster can't stay healthy long enough to ever stay on the field. Thomas was a bad pick at #3. Beathard was a reach at 104

lol Beathard is outplaying #2 overall pick Trubustky....

I don't think he is. He hasn't been terrible, but not that good.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I agree with what some have said.

It's simple. Football begins and ends in the trenches. I don't care who you have at the skill positions, football is all about the LOS. Even Montana in his prime got knocked out of games when the LOS was incapable of protecting him from Lawrence Taylors and the Pat Swillings of his day. Same for defense; you can't run a complete defense with a few starts and no pass-rusher in a pass-heavy NFL, particularly against good teams. Bad teams suffer more injuries due to the over-compensation required by the few good players to help carry the team.

Just as NC pointed out how long it took to draft a great team, the inverse is also true - it takes a few terrible drafts and some bad personnel/coaching moves to destroy a franchise and that's what we've seen. Thomas is now injured along with Foster, etc. They are playing hard every game. If we're not careful Buckner and his pace for snaps this year will also take its toll.

Until the LOS is fixed, you can't properly evaluate MOST players that plays behind this line.

How much draft capital could you use to address these same positions? What made it worse, these players, besides buckner, suck.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

It's simple. Football begins and ends in the trenches. I don't care who you have at the skill positions, football is all about the LOS. Even Montana in his prime got knocked out of games when the LOS was incapable of protecting him from Lawrence Taylors and the Pat Swillings of his day. Same for defense; you can't run a complete defense with a few starts and no pass-rusher in a pass-heavy NFL, particularly against good teams. Bad teams suffer more injuries due to the over-compensation required by the few good players to help carry the team.

Just as NC pointed out how long it took to draft a great team, the inverse is also true - it takes a few terrible drafts and some bad personnel/coaching moves to destroy a franchise and that's what we've seen. Thomas is now injured along with Foster, etc. They are playing hard every game. If we're not careful Buckner and his pace for snaps this year will also take its toll.

Until the LOS is fixed, you can't properly evaluate MOST players that plays behind this line.

How much draft capital could you use to address these same positions? What made it worse, these players, besides buckner, suck.

Improving the OL will do more to help the DL than drafting more DL at this point (aside from an edge rusher).
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:
Our talent is not bad at all, Tomsula had good result with the same bunch, hey even Chip had better result with the same bunch. Why we suck so bad? look else where.

Tomsula's roster was very different than this year's roster.

Tomsula and Chip both had way more talent to work with.

Chips D was worse...Offense was worse too unless you consider Kap an upgrade. Tomsula had a better roster but not by much.

Kaep (and Gabbert) was definitely an upgrade over what we've had at QB this year so far. I like Beathard but it really can't be debated that he's better than either of them yet.

Call me a homer, but I am starting to miss TOmsula, at least Tomsula won games under extremely difficult siatuation: His own GM was out to subotage him.
[ Edited by GarnerValleyFan on Oct 29, 2017 at 10:17 PM ]
In every single mock I have done for this team since 2014 I have addressed the trenches first.
Games are won and lost with the big guys, and if we think we can win games without proper pass blocking or pressure on the QB we are sorely mistaken.

This team is doing all the right things to turn the corner, we just need a couple key pieces and I believe we will start to see improvement. Every player on offense benefits from a good o-line, and every defensive player benefits from a dominant D-line

We are almost there
Originally posted by captveg:
Our talent is not bad at all, Tomsula had good result with the same bunch, hey even Chip had better result with the same bunch. Why we suck so bad? look else where.

Tomsula's roster was very different than this year's roster.

Tomsula and Chip both had way more talent to work with.

Chips D was worse...Offense was worse too unless you consider Kap an upgrade. Tomsula had a better roster but not by much.

Kaep (and Gabbert) was definitely an upgrade over what we've had at QB this year so far. I like Beathard but it really can't be debated that he's better than either of them yet.

Call me a homer, but I am starting to miss TOmsula, at least Tomsula won games under extremely difficult siatuation: His own GM was out to subotage him.

His own GM is the one who wanted him so bad that he passed on Gase for him.

Montana had an advantage with two pro bowl caliber linemen at the start of his career and the best OL coach in the history of the NFL. Staley is the only high caliber lineman on this team and he didn't look very good last week or this week...now out for...? But the DL may be ready to mature into a pretty impressive group. I really like Thomas, Buckner, Armstead, DJ Jones, Mitchell...and the new guys look pretty decent. Now if they can find LBs and DBs...

I had hoped they would address the center position due to Kilgore's injury history, but they used cast offs for the most part. I'd like to see them pick up a top OT and OC this offseason--either FAs or high picks. The good news? It takes time for players to learn this system and if they can retain many of these guys next year will be better...with few added stalwarts.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I definitely don't think the entire team is complete trash - I think the roster this year is better than the last couple of years. IMO the QBs, WRs, RBs (including Juice), the OL, the TEs, the DL, the LBs (with a healthy Foster) are all better at those respective positions. The secondary seems to be a wash (CBs seem to be worse this year, SS & FS are better this year). And, ST is better (Pinion has improved...he's near/at the top with most punts inside the 20; Gould is very solid; the return game seems better - Taylor has done well minus the terrible fumble last week). Going forward, you definitely have some pieces to work with on both sides of the ball. Add in leading the league in cap space plus high & many draft picks, and I'm keeping optimistic in looking ahead with Shanahan and Lynch leading the way.

Good post. And we are close to being 5-2 so we can't be too bad. We will definitely need to use that cap room effectively and have a good draft and we could be competitive as soon as next year I would think. We just need to have a good off-season.

Lol, close to being 5-2? We're 0-7... 4-3 is close to being 5-2. Maybe we should just start giving everyone participation trophies for only losing games by a few points...

We lost five games within like 3 points each. A play or two here or there in each game and we could have won. The point is we have been competitive and that 0-7 record could have been 5-2 if we made a couple more plays in those five games. Also we got screwed on some BS calls in a couple of those games that sealed the deal for us to lose. So I'm trying to point out that we have been playing with teams and are not a 0-7 team that is getting destroyed. You understand

I understand what your saying. And, I don't completely disagree with it. We we're close to winning some games. But, when it comes down to it, we're nowhere being, now, 5-3.
Have to secure Cousins and some help for the interior OL, a deep threat WR woulx be great too. The rest we draft.
Share 49ersWebzone