LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

Week 6 and 7 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
49ers were playing with Douzable (47 snaps) andTony McDaniels (25 snaps). I don't know if their snapcounts are the way they are due to it being a blowout, or if it came when the game was "close", but those are two vet FAs signed off the street playing against one of the better OLs in the league. Then add in Foster playing a new position that he did not practice in training camp (MLB), and Reid playing LB, there's a number of guys not fit to play against top level competition and it showed.

Just had a very similar comment to yours regarding those street FAs.
As always, Marvin, great article and I look forward to reading your weekly analysis'.

Bethard. I will add my name to this list who thought it Bethard just didn't seem notice when the rush was coming. On the other hand, the fact he kept his eyes downfield and actually made some clear and logical throws was refreshing for an organization used to Hoyer and Kaepernick.

Is Bethard the QB of the future? It is way to early to wade into that debate. What this small sampling has elucidated to me is that the offense is already a million times more comfortable with him at center than either last season with Kaep or earlier this season with Hoyer. Thank god for that. He misses throws he should make and doesn't feel the rush, but on the other hand he's been willing and able to push the ball downfield more than SF is used to and oozes confidence. I wonder how much of the offenses lack of point generation is on Bethard versus the offensive line play versus the limited skill position talent on the roster for the QB to target. Either way, it is clear this is his team for the remainder of the season.

Foster. I'm getting a little worried that Foster's career trajectory already looks eerily similar to Carlos Hyde's.

Thomas. Why can't we find any pass rushers in the draft? He's got motor but not much else right now. I am concerned in our managements ability to find defensive lineman who can rush the passer. It is the most sought after skill and yet this organization, having already used 3 early first round picks on defensive lineman, cannot get after the QB. The Cowboy's line is exceptional, but these guys are first round picks who drafted precisely because they are supposed to be able to deliver against the best.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 23, 2017 at 1:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by jcs:
And that's why you don't play a Safety at MLB....

and Solomon Thomas at Leo. It's a microcosm of our defensive positioning.

Lol

I feel like this is our method for piecing together the defensive players we have with the scheme we're trying to implement.
I do look forward to reading your posts, marvin.

I would like to add that Shanahan is putting his team in position to win, with some of his game decisions. His fourth down decisions have not been good and are putting more pressure on a very young team.

Speaking of which, who are the veterans that will settle the team down in the locker room? Bo is gone but I would have hoped that Staley, Garcon and Dumervil would be speaking up.
Marv...nice rundown as usual. Both our lines got exposed yesterday...and it resulted in the first blowout of the season. After week 7 last year we already had four of 'em. So, there's some reason for optimism. I think Dallas was ready to blowout somebody and yesterday was our turn. Beathard has one thing I really like...he appears to be fearless, and that's a huge factor WRT how Shanahan develops him. He can make the throws...his accuracy should improve as he gets more games under his belt. I'm a lot more concerned with the OL in front of him and at best, an inconsistent receiving corps. I like Hyde, too, so I'm mostly hoping they re-sign him, particularly as they address the OL. Both Kilgore and Fusco are UFA's and won't be retained. I see Brown & Garnett arguably as starters next year. They need to find Staley's replacement soonest. Fortunately, for both the interior OL & WR's, there's plenty of talent to be had in the 2018 UFA pool. I trust Lynch will sign some of it. There are also some blue-chip DL/pass rushers, like DeMarcus Lawrence, Ziggy Ansah, Sharrif Floyd and some dandy CB's like Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler, Beshaud Breeland. Adding a LB like the Rams' Ogletree surely wouldn't hurt, either. We're projected to have the most cap space, so Lynch will definitely have the ammo to land some top talent. There are 5 picks in the 1st 3 rds of the draft, too, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Lynch beef it up with a potential trade or two.
#7) Yes! Thank God we are done with Eric Reid in as much as he is not worth the money he is going to want.
Thomas needs to run from RDE all the way to the defense's left sideline to make tackles or he's "invisible." Or at the very least, he needs to teleport through the TE and/or LT, and LG, to stuff runs up the middle. Then and only then can he not be "invisible."

Also, that screen to Elliott down the defense's left sideline? RDE Thomas's fault. A good defensive end would run 20 yards laterally in one second. And if not, at the very least, he should have caught Elliott 40-50 yards down field, running diagonally.

He also should have stopped all those runs when he was on the sidelines and other defensive linemen were filling in in rotation. A good defensive end doesn't need to be on the field to not be "invisible."
  • thl408
Originally posted by TTTTodayJunior:
Thomas needs to run from RDE all the way to the defense's left sideline to make tackles or he's "invisible." Or at the very least, he needs to teleport through the TE and/or LT, and LG, to stuff runs up the middle. Then and only then can he not be "invisible."

Also, that screen to Elliott down the defense's left sideline? RDE Thomas's fault. A good defensive end would run 20 yards laterally in one second. And if not, at the very least, he should have caught Elliott 40-50 yards down field, running diagonally.

He also should have stopped all those runs when he was on the sidelines and other defensive linemen were filling in in rotation. A good defensive end doesn't need to be on the field to not be "invisible."
What? How can he be asked to teleport across the field? We need to temper expectations for a rookie. Also, I would think if Thomas was invisible that'd be a good thing. Imagine what a DC can do if he had an invisible defender. He can play 12 men and have the invisible guy line up offsides and sack the QB every play and no one would know what's going on.
Originally posted by thl408:
What? How can he be asked to teleport across the field? We need to temper expectations for a rookie. Also, I would think if Thomas was invisible that'd be a good thing. Imagine what a DC can do if he had an invisible defender. He can play 12 men and have the invisible guy line up offsides and sack the QB every play and no one would know what's going on.

Damnit, I knew Solly was underutilizing his teleport ability.

Originally posted by Heroism:
Damnit, I knew Solly was underutilizing his teleport ability.

How come Froster can't play like this on game day?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
How come Froster can't play like this on game day?

Worst game this season by far. Can't think of a single positive.
Thanks Marvin49. Great breakdown as always. Going to be a very long season, but I just want to see growth & improvement from all the young guy on the roster & their growth within the systems too.
  • thl408
Damn. Goodwin burned his man and was wide open in the endzone before CJ got strip sacked.
Share 49ersWebzone