LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

How long do the veterans have?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Reid, Hyde, Kilgore, Fusco, Lynch

Not sure when or even if it will happen during the season, but I don't see these guys are part of the short term plans, let alone anything beyond that.

Can definitely see them all receiving less and less snaps as the season goes on. Shanalynch will want to be pretty precise about who they go after in the draft/FA compared to last off season so they will want to test the potential of some of the younger guys.

I think that's a good list - I can see those guys being next to go in the offseason or earlier.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Not sure when or even if it will happen during the season, but I don't see these guys are part of the short term plans, let alone anything beyond that.

Can definitely see them all receiving less and less snaps as the season goes on. Shanalynch will want to be pretty precise about who they go after in the draft/FA compared to last off season so they will want to test the potential of some of the younger guys.

I think that's a good list - I can see those guys being next to go in the offseason or earlier.

Except for Hyde. And Kilgore until he is replaced by a half-decent C.
No way they get rid of Staley, no obvious replacement. Reid is as good as gone. Tartt and Ward will be our safeties. All of the other vets that matter are gone now.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hopefully Mitchell will give way to Buckner so Thomas can slide in FT at 3T.

Pita for Lynch is about to happen. Blair for Cooper maybe at BE.

Elijah Lee for Ray-Ray? Witherspoon for Dontae.

I could see Magnuson for Kilgore and eventually, D.J. Williams brought up from the PS.

Honestly, ShanaLynch have done an amazing job of getting the youth in and developing thus far.

0-6.... so far so good
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
No way they get rid of Staley, no obvious replacement. Reid is as good as gone. Tartt and Ward will be our safeties. All of the other vets that matter are gone now.

No, Staley is safe - he still has a couple more good seasons ahead of him.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Except for Hyde. And Kilgore until he is replaced by a half-decent C.

I think Hyde's and Kilgore's fate will be determined in the offseason, through free agency and the draft.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 20, 2017 at 1:44 AM ]
I think Hyde and Kilgore's fate will be determined in the offseason.

I am happy with Hyde right now but the average RB only lasts about 4 years. Kilgore, on the other hand, must be replaced as soon as possible.

I am happy with Hyde right now but the average RB only lasts about 4 years. Kilgore, on the other hand, must be replaced as soon as possible.

the whole interior of that line needs to be replaced.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

That goes without saying. Top priority.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

That goes without saying. Top priority.

We still got Garnett, but the other G and C spots needs to be replenished.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 20, 2017 at 2:06 AM ]

• Buchy
  • Veteran

I could see Magnuson for Kilgore and eventually, D.J. Williams brought up from the PS.

Honestly, ShanaLynch have done an amazing job of getting the youth in and developing thus far.

I think Mitchell will give way to DJ Jones who has really impressed me on run defence when he gets in for a series.

Lynch is a goner, unfortunately he's living up to his college strength coach's prediction in terms of work ethic so he would be my bet. I think we may see Pita T start to get some snaps now that he is out, though Pita needs a season of NFL weight training and conditioning.

I agree on Lee for Ray-Ray, consistency and discipline seem to be the issues for Armstrong and given they went out and got Lee I suspect they may want to see what they have from him given that this season is now about player evaluation.

The whole Oline as far as I am concerned are at risk, including T Brown if he cannot get more consistent in the run game. His pass protection is phenomenal but I think Shanahan wants to reliably and consistently dominate in the run game given that seems to be his history.
Hate to make the comparison, but seemingly a few parallels to Seahawks rebuild under Carroll/Schneider.

Just remember that they came in 2010 and by 2013 or so, still had guys like Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant on the roster.....unsexy but reliable run pluggers from the Holmgren days. Good solid players always have value on the roster.

So while they did a lot of purging, not EVERYONE was dumped even 3 years later.

Dumping Staley would be like dumping a 2013 Aldon Smith.
Originally posted by Buchy:

I think Mitchell will give way to DJ Jones who has really impressed me on run defence when he gets in for a series.

Lynch is a goner, unfortunately he's living up to his college strength coach's prediction in terms of work ethic so he would be my bet. I think we may see Pita T start to get some snaps now that he is out, though Pita needs a season of NFL weight training and conditioning.

I agree on Lee for Ray-Ray, consistency and discipline seem to be the issues for Armstrong and given they went out and got Lee I suspect they may want to see what they have from him given that this season is now about player evaluation.

The whole Oline as far as I am concerned are at risk, including T Brown if he cannot get more consistent in the run game. His pass protection is phenomenal but I think Shanahan wants to reliably and consistently dominate in the run game given that seems to be his history.

All you have to do is go back to any game this yr, isolate on Trenton and you will see massive holes right behind where he blocks. Big holes. Why kyle hasn't run behind him more i don't know. Oh, yes, i forgot. There is the little matter of fusco at RG...and he has been like a sieve all yr. To get to Trenton, a RB has to run behind fusco. THAT is the problme, NOT Trenton.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Buchy:

All you have to do is go back to any game this yr, isolate on Trenton and you will see massive holes right behind where he blocks. Big holes. Why kyle hasn't run behind him more i don't know. Oh, yes, i forgot. There is the little matter of fusco at RG...and he has been like a sieve all yr. To get to Trenton, a RB has to run behind fusco. THAT is the problme, NOT Trenton.

If Fusco would just fall down in place and crate a tripping hazard he would be more effective than he currently is.
Originally posted by mod:

0-6.... so far so good

That was the plan the whole way. Ha
Share 49ersWebzone