LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Guys, this Is a Good Team! Just Not Good Enough to Overcome Young Mistakes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we are in good shape for the future. a lot of the young guys are getting valuable experience, we have a ton of cap space and will have a top 5 pick in each round next year most likely. We are not losing by much, we have effort and young talent. The team atleast looks motivated, under chip and tomsula it looked like people didnt even want to be here. Next year insert a top rookie QB/Cousins, a top corner and some WR upgrades and we're a contender. Arizona has a qb ready for the retirement home, SEATTLE is seattle now and the rams are really the only threat to our future teams. Its time to take our division back fellas. Kyle and John are building this team the right way and it will pay off big for us. be patient.
Damn right. Even with one of the weaker rosters in the league our coaching staff is putting us in positions to win games. Imagine what it will be like when we get all the right pieces (a few of which are already here). This year was always a rebuilding year, so being 0-6 while being as competitive as we have been is a good thing. The upside of having a losing record is that we add more premiere talent in April to get us closer to our goal of returning to elite status. Yeah, losing is BS, but even at 0-6 this is not the same team or feeling as the last two years. This team is better than those teams even with a worse record and would beat those teams easily. We may even have more pieces than we yet realize, so ending up with a top five pick serves us well for the future.
Go position by position and what do you see?

QB: As someone said, we're a good QB away from playoff contention. Of course, you can say the same for *every* team in the NFL. Good news is we have options, whether its 1) signing Cousins, 2) drafting high in a strong QB class, or 3) maybe its Beathard? At any rate, our QB next year will be better than this year, and it won't be Brian Hoyer.

RB: I'm a huge fan of Hyde, and I hope they resign him. But even without we have Breida and Joe Williams next year, in the league's most fungible position. Not a strength but not a weakness.

WR: Our WR corps is stronger than its been in three seasons, which is a huge indictment on previous rosters. Garcon is a #2 playing as a #1. Goodwin is a #3 playing as a #2. Trent Taylor looks the part. Grab a top-flight WR in 2018 or 2019, and we've got one of the best WR corps in the league. Seriously.

TE: Drops, drops, drops. We trade McDonald and still have drops. Kittle may be a Heath Miller-esque TE, maybe not. Time will tell.

Tackles: Staley and Brown are one of the best tackle tandems in the league. That's partly a compliment, and partly an indictment on the rest of the league.

Interior OL: Hot garbage. Kilgore is the best of the three but is league average at best. You hope Garnett comes back and proves his 1st-round value, but there's no guarantee of that. Keep grabbing draft picks and FAs and maybe something will pan out.

DL: Bucker is one of the league's best. Thomas is proving himself week-by-week. Mitchell and Jones are good run-stoppers but not much more. Buckner and Thomas can be game-changers, but only in the sense that they open up plays for pass-rushers who aren't them. Otherwise, their non-stop motors are wasted.

Pass rush: Opportunistic, and that's being generous. Great against terrible OLs, terrible against decent OLs. Dumervil is obviously a stop-gap, but the group of Armstead, Lynch, and Harold aren't getting it done. Is Pita T a future option or just a P-squad body? In my opinion, drafting the next (sober) Aldon Smith is the greatest benefit of not having to use a top-5 pick on a QB. That would elevate our entire defense to the next level.

Linebacker: This grouping begins and ends with Reuben Foster. In the extremely small sample size, he looks worthy of carrying on the proud tradition of Patrick Willis and NaVarro Bowman.

Cornerback: Raw. Maybe too raw. Robinson is a starter, but has a ceiling. Witherspoon I have my doubts. Johnson is a back up. Williams is a core player who does what you ask, but true talent here is on the edges and we don't have it right now.

Safety: Feeling good about this group, even without Reid. Ward and Tartt are a strong pairing.

So where does that put us? Lynch and Shanny inherited a roster full of holes, but in 2018 we'll have the most cap space in the league, and two of the top 35 picks, and 5 of the top 70. An upgrade at QB seems guaranteed. Drafting or signing a top WR and pass rusher would give us a playoff caliber line-up. Hit on or sign a CB and/or guard after that, and we're off to the races.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by susweel:
This is a good team.

Record
0-6

The talent level needs to improve.

FIFY
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Good post.

But truthfully I don't buy that we should be 5-1 stuff.
In reality the only teams we were outplaying and probably should have beat were Seattle and Arizona.

LA was out scoring us at an alarming rate, Indy was comfortably ahead most of the game, and Washington was up 17-0 before CJ led us back.

So in reality we might be able to say we could have been 2-4 in my book.

Lol, we were literally in all those games down to the last couple minutes.
I like the way they are competing and not quitting when they were at 17-0 and everyone was dropping passes. But they didn't and that say's a lot about the future. Just be patient.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Yes, I'm on team "Moral Victory 5-1". Guys, the road to redemption is shorter than we think it is.

• thl408
The players are also looking long term. The team knows it can win, but is all in on the tank. Lynahan has them bought in.
Originally posted by thl408:
The players are also looking long term. The team knows it can win, but is all in on the tank. Lynahan has them bought in.

They do?
  • thl408
Originally posted by pdizo916:
They do?
idk i was jk

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sspiker:

QB: As someone said, we're a good QB away from playoff contention. Of course, you can say the same for *every* team in the NFL. Good news is we have options, whether its 1) signing Cousins, 2) drafting high in a strong QB class, or 3) maybe its Beathard? At any rate, our QB next year will be better than this year, and it won't be Brian Hoyer.

RB: I'm a huge fan of Hyde, and I hope they resign him. But even without we have Breida and Joe Williams next year, in the league's most fungible position. Not a strength but not a weakness.

WR: Our WR corps is stronger than its been in three seasons, which is a huge indictment on previous rosters. Garcon is a #2 playing as a #1. Goodwin is a #3 playing as a #2. Trent Taylor looks the part. Grab a top-flight WR in 2018 or 2019, and we've got one of the best WR corps in the league. Seriously.

TE: Drops, drops, drops. We trade McDonald and still have drops. Kittle may be a Heath Miller-esque TE, maybe not. Time will tell.

Tackles: Staley and Brown are one of the best tackle tandems in the league. That's partly a compliment, and partly an indictment on the rest of the league.

Interior OL: Hot garbage. Kilgore is the best of the three but is league average at best. You hope Garnett comes back and proves his 1st-round value, but there's no guarantee of that. Keep grabbing draft picks and FAs and maybe something will pan out.

DL: Bucker is one of the league's best. Thomas is proving himself week-by-week. Mitchell and Jones are good run-stoppers but not much more. Buckner and Thomas can be game-changers, but only in the sense that they open up plays for pass-rushers who aren't them. Otherwise, their non-stop motors are wasted.

Pass rush: Opportunistic, and that's being generous. Great against terrible OLs, terrible against decent OLs. Dumervil is obviously a stop-gap, but the group of Armstead, Lynch, and Harold aren't getting it done. Is Pita T a future option or just a P-squad body? In my opinion, drafting the next (sober) Aldon Smith is the greatest benefit of not having to use a top-5 pick on a QB. That would elevate our entire defense to the next level.

Linebacker: This grouping begins and ends with Reuben Foster. In the extremely small sample size, he looks worthy of carrying on the proud tradition of Patrick Willis and NaVarro Bowman.

Cornerback: Raw. Maybe too raw. Robinson is a starter, but has a ceiling. Witherspoon I have my doubts. Johnson is a back up. Williams is a core player who does what you ask, but true talent here is on the edges and we don't have it right now.

Safety: Feeling good about this group, even without Reid. Ward and Tartt are a strong pairing.

So where does that put us? Lynch and Shanny inherited a roster full of holes, but in 2018 we'll have the most cap space in the league, and two of the top 35 picks, and 5 of the top 70. An upgrade at QB seems guaranteed. Drafting or signing a top WR and pass rusher would give us a playoff caliber line-up. Hit on or sign a CB and/or guard after that, and we're off to the races.

Only one disagreement. Kilgore is the worst ifb the 3. Tomlinson is serviceable. Fusco and Kilgore suck ass
[ Edited by fan49 on Oct 17, 2017 at 1:01 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Yes, I'm on team "Moral Victory 5-1". Guys, the road to redemption is shorter than we think it is.

There must be an outhouse nearby you can hang out it. Who knows, maybe it'll blow up from the fumes after you light up; wouldn't that just be fantastic?
We ate clearly performing much better than our historically bad/incompetent season last year.

But we need to have a positive result in the next couple weeks. Walsh won a couple the first year and we need to as well. I was thinking four in September. Now I'm not sure. Too many scrubs plus first year coach in game management.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nice NC...put me down for a dose of that.

But to appease our 24/7 friends, I'll also add that, "YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE!"

So we're still a bad team until proven otherwise.

Whats your issue with tha 24/7 thread and friends ??? This is tha 2nd time I've seen you bring tha 24/7 in a NT thread ...

he got owned there so he makes up for it here in his happy place
Originally posted by sspiker:

nice post
Share 49ersWebzone