LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Analyzing the roster. Team needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1- Cornerback. Rashard Robinson is a decent # 2/3 corner. K'waun Williams is locked in as our nickle corner and we have Witherspoon but we don't have a legit #1 guy to shadow opposing #1 receivers. We have been getting torched in the secondary. Fill in free agency

2- LEO pass rusher. Elvis Dumervil has played well but we need a young stud pass rusher badly. Draft round 1

3- Offensive guard and offensive center. Kilgore, Fusco and Tomlinson have not been good. Hopefully Garnett can fill a void at LG but we need a stud center and a RG. I'd like us to sign a stud OG and draft our starting center in round 2

4- SAM linebacker. Harold is a decent cheap backup but he offers nothing as a pass rusher. Draft round 3

5- Free Safety. I don't think Ward is in the long term plans. He isn't the ballhawk this D needs. Draft round 2

I'm hoping Beathard can be out QB. He played well and seemed poised. I think Shanahan can turn him into a good starter. We have pieces at WR, RB, TE and OT. On D we have good interior DT's, Reuben Foster and Malcolm Smith are good fits for this scheme. Tartt has played well at SS AS well.

Free agency:

CB
OG

Draft:

1st: LEO
2nd: OC
2nd: FS
3rd: SAM
3rd: OT
I'd throw receiver and tackle in as well. Staley is going to have to be replaced in the next 1-2 years, we need an upgrade from Goodwin who might be a solid role player just not starting material.
I see our as this ...

1.Pass rusher/Leo
2.WR
3.C maybe OG
4.Pass rusher/Leo
5.CB
6.MLB

Yea I would double down with pass rushers 2 rookies or a vet and rookie
1. QB - Im not saying Beathard can't be the guy, but I would need to see more before I can plan around him being the future.
2/3. G/C - Our Guard play has not been good in terms of pass pro, they have been ok in terms of run blocking. Kilgore is straight trash. The pressure from the interior is terrible, and its been a problem for a while now.
4. Leo - We need a pure edge rusher. Solly has looked up and down playing as a leo but we need someone who can consistently get pressure off the edge. This will elevate our defense to a top 10 level.
5. WR - We need a true number one. What we have now is mediocre even with Garcon playing great.
6. CB. I think RR will still develop into a good corner, he is being asked to do a lot at his age but the athleticism, and swagger is there. Williams has looked ok for the most part. Dontae needs to go though, hopefully whitnerspoon can develop. Akhello's potential is the only reason this is not rated higher.
7. ROLB - Foster is the new MLB. I don't trust armstrong long term, he is to inconsistent. Maybe malcolm smith is this guy, but he has never been that great.
8. T - need to draft a tackle we can develop behind staley.
9. RB - This is dependent on whether we bring Hyde back.
10. FS - I really like Jimmie, but his injury history should lead us to grab a back up.

My Thoughts:
We need some more young talent on offense, we do not have a lot of guys who have potential to be franchise players. A young QB receiver, and some more interior linemen that can develop is what Im looking for. Defense is the opposite, has a ton of young talent with room to develop, a vet or two plus another offseason in this system could elevate them to the next level.
OG and Center should be priority number 1. Gotta build from the inside out, and Dline already looking solid
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Some good options in free agency for our needs:

Taylor Gabriel - WR - Falcons | Speedster. Pushes Aldrick Robinson and Marquise Goodwin for roster spots. Shanahan connection in CLE and ATL.

Alfred Morris - RB - Cowboys | Utility back with direct Shanahan experience in Washington. Sign him and let him compete with Breida and Williams.

Richard Rodgers - TE - Packers | Bay area native put up some good years in GB, but has gotten de-prioritized in the offense. Replacement for Celek.

Josh Kline - RG - Titans | Top 10 guard per PFF playing at a very high level at RG. Sign him and switch Garnett to LG.

Travis Swanson - C - Lions | Mayhew connection. Swanson is an above average center in the league. Front load the contract.

Ezekiel Ansah - DE - Lions | Mayhew connection. New LEO as a replacement for Armstead. Ansah is a good leader on D, and replaces the vet void.

Jeremiah Attaochu - SAM - Chargers | Hasn't seen the field this year, which brews some trouble behind the scenes. 1 year prove it deal.

Bashaud Breeland - CB - Redskins | 2nd tier CB that is a big upgrade to our current depth. Replaces Johnson. Breeland-Robinson-Witherspoon is a good trio.

Out of the above, Ansah, Breeland, Kline, and Swanson will cost a lot of money. We can afford it.
There's a pretty good thread for this discussion already:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/187944-2017-team-information-needs/page64/
Hard to rank needs in order at this point but I'd say CB, Pass rusher and C have to be at the top of the list.

I think we are more likely to address our interior OL issues in free agency but you don't see a lot of elite corners or pass rushers hitting the open market. WR should be up there as well.
Originally posted by captveg:
There's a pretty good thread for this discussion already:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/187944-2017-team-information-needs/page64/

+Uno. Sorry "Scuba".
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
1- Cornerback. Rashard Robinson is a decent # 2/3 corner. K'waun Williams is locked in as our nickle corner and we have Witherspoon but we don't have a legit #1 guy to shadow opposing #1 receivers. We have been getting torched in the secondary. Fill in free agency

2- LEO pass rusher. Elvis Dumervil has played well but we need a young stud pass rusher badly. Draft round 1

3- Offensive guard and offensive center. Kilgore, Fusco and Tomlinson have not been good. Hopefully Garnett can fill a void at LG but we need a stud center and a RG. I'd like us to sign a stud OG and draft our starting center in round 2

4- SAM linebacker. Harold is a decent cheap backup but he offers nothing as a pass rusher. Draft round 3

5- Free Safety. I don't think Ward is in the long term plans. He isn't the ballhawk this D needs. Draft round 2

I'm hoping Beathard can be out QB. He played well and seemed poised. I think Shanahan can turn him into a good starter. We have pieces at WR, RB, TE and OT. On D we have good interior DT's, Reuben Foster and Malcolm Smith are good fits for this scheme. Tartt has played well at SS AS well.

Free agency:

CB
OG

Draft:

I day let Reid and tartt man the safeties. 2 hard hitters, and tartt is a hell of an athlete too. Don't forget jerome

Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Free agency:

CB
OG

Draft:

I day let Reid and tartt man the safeties. 2 hard hitters, and tartt is a hell of an athlete too. Don't forget jerome

Jerome got cut mang.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Some good options in free agency for our needs:

Taylor Gabriel - WR - Falcons | Speedster. Pushes Aldrick Robinson and Marquise Goodwin for roster spots. Shanahan connection in CLE and ATL.

Alfred Morris - RB - Cowboys | Utility back with direct Shanahan experience in Washington. Sign him and let him compete with Breida and Williams.

Richard Rodgers - TE - Packers | Bay area native put up some good years in GB, but has gotten de-prioritized in the offense. Replacement for Celek.

Josh Kline - RG - Titans | Top 10 guard per PFF playing at a very high level at RG. Sign him and switch Garnett to LG.

Travis Swanson - C - Lions | Mayhew connection. Swanson is an above average center in the league. Front load the contract.

Ezekiel Ansah - DE - Lions | Mayhew connection. New LEO as a replacement for Armstead. Ansah is a good leader on D, and replaces the vet void.

Jeremiah Attaochu - SAM - Chargers | Hasn't seen the field this year, which brews some trouble behind the scenes. 1 year prove it deal.

Bashaud Breeland - CB - Redskins | 2nd tier CB that is a big upgrade to our current depth. Replaces Johnson. Breeland-Robinson-Witherspoon is a good trio.

Out of the above, Ansah, Breeland, Kline, and Swanson will cost a lot of money. We can afford it.

Singlehandedly almost won the game for Detroit with his wrecking of Wilson on that MNF.

We get him, we beat Seattle in Seattle for sure.
pretty all areas are needed, more than others certainly.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
  1. LEO - A great pass rusher makes corners look good. Look at Talib. Looked average in New England. Denver had him looking like an All Pro with Ware and Miller forcing the ball out early.
  2. Good Vet Center - You find a good Center that can guide the line, mainly the 2 guards, and Kilgore can move to the right guard spot.
  3. Right Guard - Kilgore, Garnett, or a pickup. Anyone but Fusco
  4. Corner - A pass rush could help out our current set of corners but we could still get an upgrade here over Robinson/Johnson. Witherspoon looks promising.
  5. Cover LB - Bow and Foster would've been a great tandem to watch. Ray Ray and Coyle are pure backups. Malcolm Smith is an upgrade but that depends on how he is coming back.
  6. Nose Tackle - Earl Mitchell gets blown back a ton. DJ Jones does a little better but a great run stuffer would help us a lot in run situations.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
  1. LEO - A great pass rusher makes corners look good. Look at Talib. Looked average in New England. Denver had him looking like an All Pro with Ware and Miller forcing the ball out early.
  2. Good Vet Center - You find a good Center that can guide the line, mainly the 2 guards, and Kilgore can move to the right guard spot.
  3. Right Guard - Kilgore, Garnett, or a pickup. Anyone but Fusco
  4. Corner - A pass rush could help out our current set of corners but we could still get an upgrade here over Robinson/Johnson. Witherspoon looks promising.
  5. Cover LB - Bow and Foster would've been a great tandem to watch. Ray Ray and Coyle are pure backups. Malcolm Smith is an upgrade but that depends on how he is coming back.
  6. Nose Tackle - Earl Mitchell gets blown back a ton. DJ Jones does a little better but a great run stuffer would help us a lot in run situations.

Exactly my thoughts.
1. Pass rusher
2. Center
3. Guard
Share 49ersWebzone