LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Just for fun...Bill Walsh first year as 49er head coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Grea
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I have some deep, yet positively funny memories about being age 19 in ole' '79, and the first Walsh/Montana triumphs.

The offense was so hard to learn that the Walsh had to draw up special flash cards for players like OJ (non-academic guys, and guys who never played under Brown, or Coryell). Despite utter miscue, you could still see Walsh was bringing something new to the NFC, and soon the NFL. The NFC at that point was all about running, and the AFC was a conference which birthed the roots of the modern passing game. Therefore, 1979 for the niners was almost 70% trick plays, I'm not joking. It was treated as a blooper reel by NFL Films, despite the fact this quirkiness would change the NFL forever. Walsh had to dial his vision back seldom to accommodate to the s**tty roster he was aptly rebuilding.

From 1979-1980 the Candlestick seats were baron throughout any game not hosting the Rams, or for instance the Chargers in preseason. My uber Italian family held a staunch distrust for Eddie D in the beginning. Somebody might have a better memory, but we weren't packing the stadium until we upset the Skins on the road in '81. The Dallas blowout got everybody on the bandwagon. You couldn't know how good Montana was until that Skins road win in '81.

Before Internet, and fame, the 1980 Saints comeback wasn't as big as we appreciate it today, the entire narrative was "Archie Chokes again!" The Tampa win in '79 was huge as well, but Joe was seen as a kicker pretending to be a QB. Funny enough, it was practical that the backup QBs played placeholder to the kickers, so Walsh used it as a means to sneak Joe into the mix!

Funny truth, Joe Montana's first touchdowns came from trick field goals. My uncle Paul called him the "secret weapon" hahaha! Although now I learned Uncle Paulie said that cause I was too young to understand the typa chaste dry jokes we make when our ream sucks! So essentially 49er fans were sarcastic a-holes before we became entitled. Lol!

Great memories, thank you. Remember when Walsh put an amplifier on Deberg's back because he had laryngitis? And against the Jets Walsh had Deberg pretend the amplifier didn't work and he brought Montana in to run a bootleg?

Lol that was funny stuff back then.
Been reading a lot of Bill Walsh lately, mostly because Kyle employs the same offense created by Walsh.

Also, in Walsh's 2nd year with the Niners he went 6-10. The next season they won it all. Im not saying....I'm just saying
Originally posted by BlueTentFoster:
Been reading a lot of Bill Walsh lately, mostly because Kyle employs the same offense created by Walsh.

Also, in Walsh's 2nd year with the Niners he went 6-10. The next season they won it all. Im not saying....I'm just saying

Drafting Ronnie Lott made that happen.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Drafting Ronnie Lott made that happen.

What's really amazing about Bill and least talked about is his talent evaluation. We traded away a 1,2,3 and 4th round picks over 3 years for OJ Simpson. So the year he took over, he didn't have a first rounder, but he was still able to find guys and maximize their talent. A true genius.
Originally posted by reno9er:
Grea

Great memories, thank you. Remember when Walsh put an amplifier on Deberg's back because he had laryngitis? And against the Jets Walsh had Deberg pretend the amplifier didn't work and he brought Montana in to run a bootleg?

lol . . . I do remember that game. Shea Stadium. The amplifier protruded from the back of his shoulder pads like a shoe box.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by reno9er:
Grea

lol . . . I do remember that game. Shea Stadium. The amplifier protruded from the back of his shoulder pads like a shoe box.
no way..pics or its all lies
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Apr 9, 2018 at 8:42 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
What's really amazing about Bill and least talked about is his talent evaluation. We traded away a 1,2,3 and 4th round picks over 3 years for OJ Simpson. So the year he took over, he didn't have a first rounder, but he was still able to find guys and maximize their talent. A true genius.

we had a few hiccups along the way.. the image of holly wood henderson doing blow on the sideline during a game was not good,. the first thing he did pissed me off and that the trade of one of my fav niner running backs delvin williams for freddie soloman. was i ever that young. what screwed us in part before bill. was how we traded all of our picks to get plunket which was fine at the time cuz we had a super bowl team in 76 before injuries., then 77 and 78 were disasters cuz our picks were people like elmo boyd and stan black. and then cedrick hardman became a raider and gene washington became a brown
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

last year were were hearing we had the best front 7 in the nfl. lets just get to 500 first before we starting rolling out kyle bill comparisons
For those that still havent watched this. Best documentary about the man.

I know not first year, but here's the full 81 NFCCG

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I know not first year, but here's the full 81 NFCCG

we almost lost at the end cuz of the runback
Those were the days my friend.

I'm confident that Happy Days will return soon.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
do not show the niner playoff game vs the redskins. the only game in my history which goes back to 1971 that i will blame the refs for
Kyle having it easy on his first year compare to Walsh. They gave away the farm just before Walsh got to the team. Traded for an over the hill, body all wrecked OJ Simpson. No FA back then. Walsh had to reach deep into the draft with whatever picks he had available and traded down for more draft picks.

Kyle has FA, $100 mil under the cap, full allotment of draft picks, and a legit FQB that was gifted to them for a 2nd rd pick.

SB within the next 2 years isn't unrealistic for Kyle, give him a chance, cause 2018 football season isn't here just yet
Us poor kids used to get free tickets in the 70s, that's how i became a fan. Everyone else was on the raiders bandwagon

Pretty cool to have witnessed something special like that! Definitely have that same feeling now.
Share 49ersWebzone