LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Just for fun...Bill Walsh first year as 49er head coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:
f**king Sus playing post monitor and of course the retarded ass C. Heston gif makes an appearance.....

that's because him and Young2Rice expected us to be a Super Bowl contender and can't see past our record and record only as a team and want Shanahan fired.
The 49ers running game was horrific. It didn't get decent until 1984 with Tyler and Craig.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Shanny doesn't have the experience to be bill Walsh. But thanks for the game by game. I remember we were the worst team in NFL by far. The deberg 6-10 season was a turn around but not really a prelude to the super bowl. That took an unbelievable triple snake eye draft with Lott Williamson wright plus signing Fred dean. But also a whole off season of Clarke Montana working on school yard stuff. Magic.

I'd say they had somewhat similar resumes before taking the pro football head coaching jobs:

Walsh:

Shanny:

Out of the past 5 coaches, Shanny is probably the closest comparison we'll ever get to Walsh (in terms of experience!)
Originally posted by defenderDX:
f**king Sus playing post monitor and of course the retarded ass C. Heston gif makes an appearance.....

that's because him and Young2Rice expected us to be a Super Bowl contender and can't see past our record and record only as a team and want Shanahan fired.

Making stuff up like always. We're improving! We'll win more games! No wait we need that drsft position! Losining close! Bill walsh! Got to love NT and the crap spewed to justify an 0-6 team.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 16, 2017 at 7:14 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Im just asking the point of your post ? Are you saying shanny is gonna be like walsh ? No need to throw insults, i don't even know you.

It's in the thread title: just for fun.

It's natural for fans to look for a parallel here. We all want Lynchahan to bring the team back to being a perennial contender. How long does that take? What does it look like? Well, here's a historical example to those questions.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Making stuff up like always. We're improving! We'll win more games! No wait we need that drsft position! Losining close! Bill walsh! Got to love NT and the crap spewed to justify an 0-6 team.

well, we have improved. that's a fact. lol. if you can't see that compared to the last 2 seasons then yeah, the exaggerated s**t I say about you IS justified
So what does this mean ?

It means all the retarded fans that are angry over starting 0-6 and second guessing Shanahan would've been the same people wanting to move on from Walsh in 1979.
Originally posted by cortana49:

Out of the past 5 coaches, Shanny is probably the closest comparison we'll ever get to Walsh (in terms of experience!)

He's certainly the closest in offensive playcalling with the exception of maybe Mornhinweg.
Originally posted by Niners99:
So what does this mean ?

It means all the retarded fans that are angry over starting 0-6 and second guessing Shanahan would've been the same people wanting to move on from Walsh in 1979.

I see it as it means nothing. Nothing good, nothing bad. I don't mean that harsh.

It means how a coach starts out in win/loss in their first year of a rebuild means nothing. They could be bill Walsh or they could be Mike Nolan.

It's about how do they build the roster and how do they use that time to install their system and get players to learn and run their system.

Chip Kelly's first year of a rebuild was great in Philly. Then was awful his 3rd year.

There's no doubt that we have a bright offensive mind. I can see it on film as clear as day. Are we missing pieces? Absolutely. We still have a young/talent deprived team.

It means, we have to give Shanny and Lynch much, much more time before we start doom and gloom. Any and all mistakes can only be called in hindsight 2 years from now. IMO.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by cortana49:

He's certainly the closest in offensive playcalling with the exception of maybe Mornhinweg.

Looking back if then Cincinnati HC Paul Brown wasn't so down on assistant Bill Walsh becoming a head coach in the NFL, we wouldnt be here.

Originally posted by jonnydel:
So what does this mean ?

I see it as it means nothing. Nothing good, nothing bad. I don't mean that harsh.

It means how a coach starts out in win/loss in their first year of a rebuild means nothing. They could be bill Walsh or they could be Mike Nolan.

It's about how do they build the roster and how do they use that time to install their system and get players to learn and run their system.

Chip Kelly's first year of a rebuild was great in Philly. Then was awful his 3rd year.

There's no doubt that we have a bright offensive mind. I can see it on film as clear as day. Are we missing pieces? Absolutely. We still have a young/talent deprived team.

It means, we have to give Shanny and Lynch much, much more time before we start doom and gloom. Any and all mistakes can only be called in hindsight 2 years from now. IMO.

I dont think anyone is comparing the 2 regimes, other than the simple lesson of patience being a virtue.
I was born in 1979 so my earliest memories are in that '87 and on time frame. When did people start to buy in to Joe being the guy. I'd imagine it would have been halfway thru '81 but do you recall when this happened.

Re: Montana, I recall during the 1980 season some local media started pushing for Montana. For me I'll always remember the Steve DeBerg "laryngitis game" at Jets when he had a speaker inside his helmet to amplify his voice, especially at Shea in LaGuardia flight path. But on a drive in red zone Walsh had DeBerg fake a malfunction with the speaker because really he just wanted Montana in, and he ended up rinning a boot for TD...plus in just a handful of passes also threw for 2 TDs.

DeBerg kept starting job but a couple games later he was TERRIBLE when Cowboys killed Niners 59-14, so it was pretty much Montana after that, cemented with 3 straight wins including the comeback after being down 35-7 at halftime to the Saints, that game left no question it was Montana's job and team.
So what does this mean ?

Good response 99, could not have said it better myself.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
So what does this mean ?

Another good and well thought out response.
I have some deep, yet positively funny memories about being age 19 in ole' '79, and the first Walsh/Montana triumphs.

The offense was so hard to learn that the Walsh had to draw up special flash cards for players like OJ (non-academic guys, and guys who never played under Brown, or Coryell). Despite utter miscue, you could still see Walsh was bringing something new to the NFC, and soon the NFL. The NFC at that point was all about running, and the AFC was a conference which birthed the roots of the modern passing game. Therefore, 1979 for the niners was almost 70% trick plays, I'm not joking. It was treated as a blooper reel by NFL Films, despite the fact this quirkiness would change the NFL forever. Walsh had to dial his vision back seldom to accommodate to the s**tty roster he was aptly rebuilding.

From 1979-1980 the Candlestick seats were baron throughout any game not hosting the Rams, or for instance the Chargers in preseason. My uber Italian family held a staunch distrust for Eddie D in the beginning. Somebody might have a better memory, but we weren't packing the stadium until we upset the Skins on the road in '81. The Dallas blowout got everybody on the bandwagon. You couldn't know how good Montana was until that Skins road win in '81.

Before Internet, and fame, the 1980 Saints comeback wasn't as big as we appreciate it today, the entire narrative was "Archie Chokes again!" The Tampa win in '79 was huge as well, but Joe was seen as a kicker pretending to be a QB. Funny enough, it was practical that the backup QBs played placeholder to the kickers, so Walsh used it as a means to sneak Joe into the mix!

Funny truth, Joe Montana's first touchdowns came from trick field goals. My uncle Paul called him the "secret weapon" hahaha! Although now I learned Uncle Paulie said that cause I was too young to understand the typa chaste dry jokes we make when our ream sucks! So essentially 49er fans were sarcastic a-holes before we became entitled. Lol!
Share 49ersWebzone