LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Who would be the better QB to pickup in offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would be the better QB to pickup in offseason?

This doesn't really belong here. This should be in the FA thread....
I'm all for getting as many quality starters as possible through the draft and use FA for only the couple of players to get you over the top. That only happens if K&S are worth a crap in the draft, which is so far, so good in that department. Otherwise you never get the right pieces all at the same time.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
I got Brees and Rivers as options as well... Say what you want too if Bradford is healthy and has time hes accurate.

No thanks, he tweaks his knee when he sits to take a dump
I'm inclined to say get Cousins and trade away a likely top 5 draft pick for multiple picks and then use those picks to fill some of the many holes on the team (edge rusher, OL, CB - just to name a few). Hoyer will be the QB that helped the team get ready for Cousins. Since Cousins is a bit older now, he will be the QB who is the transition for Shanahan's future Joe Montana. The biggest concern I have about signing Cousins is that the demand for him from other teams could push his salary into territory where I'm not sure he would be worth it. He is a very good QB but if he is able to get in the $30+ million per year range (which he may very well be offered), then I think that's more than the 9ers ought to pay. At that level of pay, I'd rather see them go for the best draft prospect QB available even if it took a future high pick or two to get him (assuming Shanahan thinks the kid has a good chance of being a first rate QB).
Kirk Cousins is the best option. I'd put Rosen as the second overall option. And those two are pretty much the only really good options the 49ers have.

Cousins allows you to pick up the slack immediately. He's been in this system, or one that is extremely similar for his entire career. It's insane that a guy of his stature is available at all. If he comes free, you jump at it. The 49ers are virtually guaranteed to get a top five pick. Grabbing Cousins allows the 49ers to possibly trade down (if they have a top two pick) to a team desperate for a QB. If that doesn't happen, they at least get to nab a potential difference maker high in the draft at a position other than QB, because the QB spot is solidified for the next five years at least.

Rosen is the number two option. Next season would likely be some mix of Hoyer and Rosen. It wouldn't be perfect, but the 49ers would be in great shape moving into 2019 and beyond. Rosen is a very solid player, he's significantly younger and significantly cheaper than Cousins would be. Those are the benefits. The downside is that you absolutely, positively MUST have the first overall pick to land Rosen. In a year where the Browns and the Giants both look absolutely miserable, and with the 49ers losing these razor thin margin games, it's hard for me to project them as getting the number one overall pick. Maybe it happens. I could see that. If they can pull off the 0-16 streak, than go ahead. But the price to move up to the top spot if you aren't there on your own is SUPER EXPENSIVE.

People get uncomfortable with Cousins possible price tag. I understand that. But the 49ers have two things at their disposal, Cash and picks. Both have a value to them. Cousins costs cash, Rosen costs picks. Every other player likely costs both cash and picks. If the 49ers are sitting at the one spot, they should still poke around at the chance with Cousins, because selling that number one pick would be extraordinary. But that also gives them the leverage to hold their line. If they don't have the top pick, it's time to dump money on Cousins and pray he accepts it.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Why is Alex Smith on this poll? Why on EARTH would he ever sign with a franchise and fan base that did nothing but treat him like a back up? He should sign with Denver if/when he is a free agent and get himself a ring.

Treated him like a back up bc he played like a back up granted the situation he never looked anything like a number 1 overall pick should..

???
[ Edited by ronniefreakinlott42 on Oct 14, 2017 at 3:34 PM ]
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Why is Alex Smith on this poll? Why on EARTH would he ever sign with a franchise and fan base that did nothing but treat him like a back up? He should sign with Denver if/when he is a free agent and get himself a ring.

Treated him like a back up bc he played like a back up granted the situation he never looked anything like a number 1 overall pick should..

Nevertheless, that doesn't answer my question.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
at this juncture, I would get on my knees and beg Alex Smith to come back. Should have never questioned greatness

Although I have a lot of respect for the way Alex handled his entire situation with Harbaugh replacing him with Kap, Alex was never great when he was with SF. Go back and look at his stats and play before Harbaugh arrived. He was benched and started so many times I lost count. He was average at best and then bottom upper tier QB play when he got hurt, Kap replaced him and that's when KC thought they hit the jackpot and signed him. But after many seasons of solid play from Alex I agree with others that KC will decide he's just not the guy that can tip the scales for them when their season is on the line and his record reflects that. With that said... Alex is consistent enough now that many teams would love to sign him as a starter and I think backup is at least 3-5 years away for him. If a team does sign him as a starter they need to have a stellar D if they want to go deep into the playoffs and have a chance at a SB, like SF had when he left.
Beathard
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Cousins and then draft Barkley plz. A good off-season with some more weapons might start to turn things around for the team.

This. Or if not Barkley then someone like Landry or Chubb, a player that would be a true force off the edge.

Rosen. And lets get him a line.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Agreed on Bradford. Would like to have Rivers but price is too high I would imagine, same with Brees. Plus, Brees still has the slinky neck from when Brooks put that legal hit ,with his hand to the chest, on him in New Orleans and the refs f'd the 9ers out of the win because you can't touch goldenboy. Brees is getting up there also, Rivers is slightly younger and basically been wasting away good years at a SB shot with the Bolts.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
I got Brees and Rivers as options as well... Say what you want too if Bradford is healthy and has time hes accurate.

Agreed. Bradford is big problem his knee and not healthy enough. It's sad. We don't need sign to Bradford. We would draft the top quartback by Rosen or Darnold and or sign to free agent by Bree.
[ Edited by BuZzB05 on Oct 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM ]
Their first pick I assume will have a lot of value with highly rated QB's so if they sign Cousins, front load his deal, trade that pick for a bounty of picks over the next couple of years that will go a long way to rebuilding the team quickly.
Many of you seem to be forgetting Beathard...he's going to start the rest of this season and if he plays well he'll arguably be the starter going into 2018. Look, both the Packers braintrust and ours thought CJ would be really good in the NFL. Nothing's happened to change that. If CJ continues to improve, I really wouldn't see a big need to spend the huge bucks we all know it'd take to sign Cousins. Beyond that, I can see Snyder franchising KC one last season...if for no other reason than he doesn't want to see him play for the Niners or really anyone else. I'm not as sold on Rosen as many of you are...I think because UCLA literally can't stop anyone they're almost always playing catch-up football, a significant reason for Rosen's numbers. It's good on him he can put up the numbers he does, but my concern is that they may well be over-inflated. Darnold's not ready for the NFL, IMHO. He's brilliant at times, but other times he shows his lack of big-time college experience. His best bet would be to return to USC for the 2018 season. I like Falk...his experience is second to none. Yes, he holds the ball too long sometimes, but has also shown he's a pretty tough cookie. At any rate, I'd be in favor of keeping Hoyer as b/u and drafting Rosen or Falk. That said they aren't the only two QB's worth taking a good long look at...there's Rudolph of Ok St, Jackson of Louisville, Clayton Thorson of Northwestern, Mayfield of OK, Shimonek of Texas Tech. Remember, it's not who we think Lynch should draft that really matters...it's who Shanahan wants. Nobody guessed Beathard, yet here he is now our starter.
Share 49ersWebzone