There are 156 users in the forums

Things You've Been Wrong About So Far This Year

Everyone seems to always like to crow after the fact about the opinions and evaluations they got right, but all the things we're wrong about tend to slip down the memory hole.

This thread is a correction on that. Now nearly 1/3rd of the way through the season, what have you so far been proven wrong about?

I'll go first with six of them:

(1) I thought KS/Lynch overspent on an aging and average receiver in Garcon because they were placing too much emphasis on familiarity with Kyle and his system. I now think I'm wrong. So far Garcon is grading out as a top 5 WR in the NFL according to PFF, and like Anquan, he's one of those rare WRs for whom I think getting older doesn't affect their game as much (his game just isn't based on athletic ability as much as most WRs). I was very, very wrong on my evaluation of his signing, I think.

(2) I didn't expect Buckner to take a leap like he has. I thought he would remain a good but streaky player who played too high and was very inconsistent with his hand use and limited in his moves. I was very wrong on this one too. He has built incredibly well on last year and is a much improved version of what we've already seen.

(3) I thought Arik Armstead was going to be sneaky decent this year, kinda like Ray McDonald was in Fangio's system. Instead, he has totally disappeared. I think that's mostly scheme fit but he has been much worse than I thought he would be.

(4) I didn't think Robinson and Johnson would be THIS bad. I thought Robinson was overrated and Johnson was maybe a bit underrated, and that they'd both be average to slightly below average. Instead, they've both stunk.

(5) I thought Jerome would be one of those backups who would stick on the team forever, and maybe even with the ceiling of developing into a decent starter three or fours years from now. Instead, he was cut by week 5 and not even brought back to the practice squad.

(6) If before this season you told me that I'd think Tartt might be both the best and most versatile player in the 9ers secondary at this point in the year, I would have laughed in your face. He's still far from being a complete and consistent player, but he has taken a Buckner-sized leap in my evaluation of him (which is just less evident because he started so far below Buckner). I was wrong on this one too.
this thread is going to be nothing but crickets, good luck getting any of the posters that have been wrong about anything over the last year much less the last three to admit it how horribly off they were.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
this thread is going to be nothing but crickets, good luck getting any of the posters that have been wrong about anything over the last year much less the last three to admit it how horribly off they were.
so that means this you won't be in this thread unless its post like these ?
I actually Hyde was going to be really good. He has shown some flashes, but ball security a major concern.
Thought they would catch a win against the Rams and be 1-4 right now.

SoClose
I've been right about everything as usual.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Thought they would catch a win against the Rams and be 1-4 right now.

SoClose

I thought they'd win against the Colts
I didn't think Trent Taylor would get as much playing time as he has, and I didn't expect our interior line to be so awful (Kilgore, Fusco)
Armstead, the corners, Joe Williams, etc etc
nothing.

I thought we'd be a 5-6 win team this year. Womp womp.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I thought they'd win against the Colts

i knew we would not, but i thought hoyer would be respectable. that is about the only thing i have been wrong about i think
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
I thought we'd be a 5-6 win team this year. Womp womp.

This. I had us winning at least six games.

Still possible, but right now, I doubt it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Armstead, the corners, Joe Williams, etc etc

yep, i was wrong about williams, i was right about the corners. i knew they were garbage in pre season and the team did nothing to fix it other than to sign asa
Armstead - I thought he'd be better
Share 49erswebzone