LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by thl408:
One way to bust Cover3 is the "999" concept. This is run from a trips formation (3 WRs to one side of the field) as it sends 3 vertical routes to horizontally stretch the deep zone defenders. Reid will rotate down into the weakside Hook zone. James will man the FS spot. This was a 3rd & 12 where McCaffrey converted.

There are the 4 underneath zones. Bow redirects and allows the #3 to go by. DJ, the CB at the bottom of the screen (not labeled) is locked onto the WR and will not be taking his deep 1/3.

Reid rotated down and also allows the #3 to run by him. So with Reid rotated down, and DJ locked onto the WR at the bottom running a short route, there is a deep 1/3 unaccounted for. Blown coverage.

Directing attention to the middle of the field, Tartt has matched McCaffrey coming out of the backfield. As McCaffrey drags across the field, Tartt thinks he should pass coverage off to Bow, the strongside Hook defender. Bow sees Cam scramble and attacks Cam.

From this angle, we can see what Tartt was thinking. "Pass off coverage, oh wth". Was he supposed to pass off coverage? In man coverage, it's easy to know what to do in scramble drill - stick to your assignment. In zone coverage, there needs to be more understanding of what to do. Do you match and morph to man coverage? Do you stay in your assigned zone? Only the 49ers know.

Can't take my eyes off our top draft pick getting destroyed in the middle 1 on 1

The 49ers are in Cover 1 blitz (rush 5, man coverage, 1 deep safety). They will drop AA off into coverage and bring Lorenzo (26) off the edge. DJohnson will line up across from Olsen (88). Bow is showing pressure into the A gap but will drop into coverage. The deep cross from the #3 WR (inner most slot WR) was a problem all first half for the 49ers defense.

AA jams Olsen and drops into coverage. As Olsen (88) starts his drag route, both DJ and Bow are drawn to Olsen. There is no reason for two defenders to double cover a shallow crossing route. Especially by a lumbering TE.

I would love to hear Saleh talk about this play. It confuses the hell out of me.
  • thl408
Here another instance where the 49ers had trouble with the deep cross from the #3 WR in trips. This is the play where Cam butchered the throw to a wide open WR.

Cover 3 vs Smash Divide

4 underneath zones highlighted. Yellow is Ray Ray, the weakside Hook defender. Bow redirects the #3 and passes him off.

DJ is locked onto the WR on his side of the field and will not take a deep 1/3. If the 49ers are going to lock their weakside CB in man coverage (Mable), then that side of the field needs help in case there are additional routes coming since there is no longer a deep 1/3 defender there.

Come on, let's get it together. That's three times in the first half.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
One way to bust Cover3 is the "999" concept. This is run from a trips formation (3 WRs to one side of the field) as it sends 3 vertical routes to horizontally stretch the deep zone defenders. Reid will rotate down into the weakside Hook zone. James will man the FS spot. This was a 3rd & 12 where McCaffrey converted.

There are the 4 underneath zones. Bow redirects and allows the #3 to go by. DJ, the CB at the bottom of the screen (not labeled) is locked onto the WR and will not be taking his deep 1/3.

Reid rotated down and also allows the #3 to run by him. So with Reid rotated down, and DJ locked onto the WR at the bottom running a short route, there is a deep 1/3 unaccounted for. Blown coverage.

Directing attention to the middle of the field, Tartt has matched McCaffrey coming out of the backfield. As McCaffrey drags across the field, Tartt thinks he should pass coverage off to Bow, the strongside Hook defender. Bow sees Cam scramble and attacks Cam.

From this angle, we can see what Tartt was thinking. "Pass off coverage, oh wth". Was he supposed to pass off coverage? In man coverage, it's easy to know what to do in scramble drill - stick to your assignment. In zone coverage, there needs to be more understanding of what to do. Do you match and morph to man coverage? Do you stay in your assigned zone? Only the 49ers know.

Can't take my eyes off our top draft pick getting destroyed in the middle 1 on 1

shouldnt he be on the edge?
Yikes, Looks like there were a lot of open windows in coverage which weren't taken advantage of. It has me really worried for when we go up against good passing offenses.

I'm sure Wilson has seen all of this and will test it out the next game... Will be a good test of our coaching to see if they can fix the mistakes.
That's a bad breakdown. I really can't tell if the FS or LB was supposed to cover the WR. More importantly why are we asking a LB or FS to cover a slot WR?

That's a 5x Pro Bowl, 2x First-team All-Pro center. Not some bum.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by matguy87:
Yikes, Looks like there were a lot of open windows in coverage which weren't taken advantage of. It has me really worried for when we go up against good passing offenses.

I'm sure Wilson has seen all of this and will test it out the next game... Will be a good test of our coaching to see if they can fix the mistakes.

Well Seattle did play Atlanta twice last year and knows all about this offense.
Originally posted by Heroism:

That's a 5x Pro Bowl, 2x First-team All-Pro center. Not some bum.

This. And "destroyed" isn't the word I would use. He pushed the pocket and the center held him off. If there were pressure on the edge, Thomas might have gotten there. He was the only guy anywhere near Cam.
[ Edited by PowderdToastMn on Sep 13, 2017 at 11:39 AM ]

• thl408
Well until the 49ers address this, CAR might as well keep trying.

Cover3 vs 999
The 49ers are making a Mable call when facing a 3x1 formation. This locks DJ on the weakside WR, CAR let's that WR run a short route to keep DJ away from his deep 1/3. Orange are the underneath zones with yellow (Reid) being the weakside Hook defender.

Reid rotates down to his Hook zone.

But this time, he sees the crosser from the #3 and matches it. Yay for in game adjustments!

• thl408
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
First off thank you THL and JD as always, the best thread on the internet. Anyhow, I was reading one of the beat writers twitter (forget which one) and he said it looked like Goodwin was open deep quite a few times but Hoyer didn't look his way/didn't have time to throw. Did you see the same thing? I would love to see that deep connection a few times a game or atleast some more attempts.
I'll take a closer look. I was mainly concentrating on the defense last night. It was really late when I started watching the offense.

Tarrt isn't not a single high safety...that one handed INT was amazing but this stuff is ridiculous
  • thl408
The 49ers played alotttt of Cover3 and mixed it up with Cover1. This is just to show that they will play something besides Cover3 or Cover1.
Cover 6 (black are deep zones)

Here's an example of the front 7 saving our secondaries ass.
Share 49ersWebzone