LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

This season has been perfect...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Giants game is going to be like that South Park episode with the baseball. Just see who's better at losing.

Tbf though, I bet Eli could place a pick 6 every play if he had to.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
If we start 0-9 are you still hoping we lose to the Giants?

There are people on the zone actively rooting for 0-16.

This disgusts me.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I agree - I just wish the offense was more consistent. They kill themselves and look inept with the penalties and missed opportunities. I honestly think Hoyer is still learning the offense and the players around him - and the other players still learning the offense.

I don't think there is any reason to trade Staley with the cap room - and don't think we would get much value from a trade since another team would likely view him as a 1-2 year solution at best. It more likely we trade one of the DL that don't fit perfectly - probably Armstead.

In hindsight, I think this management team did an AMAZING job drafting for value and not reaching. As badly as we needed it, they didn't see 1st round talent in the QB or WR class and stuck to not reaching. The only bust I expect out of the class I see is CB Witherspoon - just don't see him rising to NFL talent.

Next year priorities:
QB - It wouldn't surprise me to see Hoyer start to put it together as the year progresses and stick around for veteran talent next year. Draft a QB in round 1-2. Continue to groom Bethard. The thing I like about Shanny, he will play the best QB regardless of draft position. Personally, I am not sold on Cousins for high dollars - I don't think he can take you to a superbowl, so why spend the money. Ironically, if Alex Smith keeps playing like he does now, I'd rather bring him back than Cousins (let the howling begin, lol).

CB - I liked Donte Johnson, but man he can't cover enough to deter QB throws - he is around the ball, but not a deterrent. CB has to be a round 1-2 pick -- and probably round 4-7 for depth. I think the front 7 gets just enough pressure that better coverage would greatly improve the D and result in more sacks.

WR - If the talent is there, desperate need for a #1 WR to make the offense work. That way Garcon can be a solid #2 possession guy at this stage of his career. Taylor in the slot. The other receivers are way too inconsistent.

DE - I don't think the pass rush is as bad as it looks, so I put the priority on the above before DE. The problem is that after round 1, it is nearly impossible to find pass rushing talent. So unless the scouts think they have a CB or WR answer that is gonna be there in round 3-4, I don't see a dominant DE coming to 9ers in year 2 (unless of course they pull off some trade to get two 1st round picks).
I agree with you 100% on Alex Smith. I also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring back gore to show hyde how to f'ing block!
Originally posted by tulliman:

This disgusts me.

Why does it disgust you?

I want three things, in order:

1) The 9ers to be fun to watch week in and week out.
2) Signs of an upswing in terms of coaching and talent at some positions when compared to the disasters of the last two years.
3) The 9ers to be bad for as short of a time as possible.

So far the 9ers are 0-5 this year and I'm getting all three of those things at the same time.

The quickest way to get to #3 is to have your choice of players in the draft. If I can get #1 and #2 while sowing the seeds for #3 why wouldn't I be happy?
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

This disgusts me.

Why does it disgust you?

2) Signs of an upswing in terms of coaching and talent at some positions when compared to the disasters of the last two years.

So far the 9ers are 0-5 this year and I'm getting all three of those things at the same time.

The quickest way to get to #3 is to have your choice of players in the draft. If I can get #1 and #2 while sowing the seeds for #3 why wouldn't I be happy?

Winning.

Winning builds confidence.
Winning builds the atmosphere that free agents want to join (sometimes for less money).
Winning builds a foundation upon which to grow next year.

How many 0-16 teams in NFL history are relevant the next year? How about the year after that? How about the year after that?

I agree with your three things, though not necessarily in that order.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Winning.

Winning builds the atmosphere that free agents want to join (sometimes for less money).

How many 0-16 teams in NFL history are relevant the next year? How about the year after that? How about the year after that?

if we had two wins last year and had to over pay for people like a fullback and a below average linebacker to come here. when we finish with no wins. you will really have to back up the truck to get people to come here. no offense to the persuasion powers of kyle and lynch. people can go on and on about the scheme and the pieces allegedly being in place but if you do not win. people will not want to come here. fans will not come to support your team. tell you what if the team wins another two games or one or none.... the powers to be better lower prices or do something to try to get people in the stands
we've had allot of things go right this year, we just didn't win allot of games
yes we are in rebuild mode, but losing for draft position is something I've never been a fan of

we could easily be 4-1 right now, and IMO, we need another quality weapon for the offense, Garcon and Kittles are obviously our main weapons, Goodwin is too inconsistent and his drops have been costly, Taylor is still developing , Robinson has speed, but a complimentary piece at best

I was hoping we would trade for a solid WR to help improve our passing attack, another receiver who could help open up things a little more for Garcon and Kittles, and get us over the hump when we need to move the chains, and more firepower in the red zone , if we could land a decent WR with a 5th round pick, that would go a long way towards making the team more competitive and productive, I wouldn't want to trade away any of our 2nd or 3rd round picks , we have extra picks in those rounds and would love to keep them , but I would hope an effort would be made to help improve the passing attack, and make the games more appealing to fans , who wants to watch a team that is obviously in "tank mode" , the organization owes it to the fans to put an entertaining and competitive product on the field , even if we are rebuilding , there is no room for tanking the season for draft position, and definitely not acceptable for our beloved 49ers
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Oct 12, 2017 at 8:58 AM ]
Why does it disgust you?

there is no self respecting fan that actively roots for 0-16. The fact that people want that embarassment label attached to this franchise. Just wow.

Realize that the QBs next year could just as easily tank their stock. Its not as good as people think. People are realizing that Rosen might be the only prospect worth it in the top 5, because Shanahan sure as hell isnt picking up Lamar Jackson.

In the unlikely scenario that the Browns and 49ers go 0-16, the Browns would still get the #1 pick due to strength of schedule. They will most likely pick the best QB available.

So even for tank activists, this plan has multiple ways of backfiring. We can still miss out on Cousins and the best QB available even if they do tank.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Oct 12, 2017 at 8:03 AM ]
Originally posted by paulk205:
Hell yeah! 5-0 in moral victories! Undefeated moral season here we come!

5-1*

Every year no matter now or during the glory years of the 80s and 90s I get geeked right before the season thinking anything is possible and we could win it all. That's the fan in me and not the rationale side of my brain. I knew how inept this team has looked the last two years and you can probably include JHs last year as coach in that as well. I liked the Lynch hire but wasn't sure about Kyle. I wanted McVay.

After seeing the first 5 games I love Kyle and think he will be just fine when he gets his players. Love his aggressive style. I do however find the comments on here funny. You really can't see the improvement??? Just on entertainment value alone it's night and day. This team was Browns boring to watch. Not anymore.

Have some perspective please or maybe you enjoy complaining or being a negative idiot. I don't know but if you can't see it I really have to wonder how much 49ers football you have actually watched the last 3 years. I think we have a shot at the playoffs next year if we get our QB. Hate being 0-5 but I have more confidence they will turn this thing around than I have had since 2011. Some of your comments though. Smh to your comments. Lol. I would hate being that miserable.
I wouldn't be opposed to trading either. I don't however think we get anything more than a 6 or 7 for them.

Adrian Peterson didn't bring a 3 or 4
The 49ers were unwatchable last year. This year at least they are interesting and competitive.

This disgusts me.

Why does it disgust you?

Winning.

Just to be clear, I'm not ROOTING for 0-16.

It's incredibly hard to pull off an 0-16 season. A team like the 9ers which is 0-5 with four of their losses coming by three points or less simply doesn't have what it takes to go 0-16.

So for me and this 9ers team, as it was before the season started, we're talking everything lucky not going their way and them going 2-14 or 3-13, or everything lucky going their way and them going 6-10 or 7-9.

It's not like FAs are giving contract discounts to 6-10 teams (if they're ever even really giving contract discounts at all, which they're almost always not, and rightly so), so I don't really think that plays into it.

The "foundation to build for next year" thing is also a myth, I think. All the time we see bad teams play well against a string of bad opponents late in the year, and then fans say "they're building for next year", but then next year when they don't have a strong of bad opponents again they're right back to stinking it up.

As for winning building confidence, perhaps that's true, but I think having good players correlates with winning MUCH more than some unmeasurable form of confidence. These guys are professional athletes. You really think any of them suffer from a lack of confidence? If so that means that the major problem with great players like Buckner, good players like Hyde, and bad players like Rashard Robinson is that they're suffering from a lack of confidence from going 2-14 last year. I just don't see it.
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
The 49ers were unwatchable last year. This year at least they are interesting and competitive.

Through the first 5 games we have the similar point differential as last year, except no wins and this year's offense is much more putrid than Kelly's, who didn't have great talent on offense either.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 12, 2017 at 10:32 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone