There are 275 users in the forums

After 4 weeks 49ers lead NFL in dropped passes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You know who barely contributes to the offense and special teams?

It's the guy who took Kerley's roster spot...Bourne.

And? On a rebuilding team I'd rather stick with the younger players than a middling veteran. Kerley is a decent, not good, not great #3 WR on a quality team. That is his ceiling. Not going to cry about him not being on the roster when the entire WR position is likely to be revamped next year outside of Garcon, Taylor and possibly Goodwin.
You mean like 29 year old Robinson? This is more than just Kerley too...everyone wants to dump on the roster for the output this season on offense and praise KS for the work he's done without acknowledging that 75% of the starters on that offense are his guys, he picked them and the few that are actually not his guys are players like Hyde, Staley and Brown. This isn't a similar situation that Chip walked into last season, KS isn't forced to utilize players he inherited he's had that freedom to hand pick everything about this roster and the results so far have been abysmal.
abysmal ?

1 play in the final minute in last 3 games that decided us from 0-4 to 3-1

I agree with you but I understand some people just have different definitions of what a "good team" and what an "abysmal team" is. For some people, the ability to close out a game is a heavy, heavy factor in that. I understand why because it's one of the biggest differences between wins and losses. I wasn't expecting this team to do everything right out the gate though so I'm not as concerned as others.
if we losing all game then made it close in garbage time then i would agree.

but as of right now. we look closer to getting this ship in the right direction than i thought
Originally posted by lasko39:
49ers suck in all aspect of the game, their is no way any of us can sugarcoat this.

Well we have the highest-ranked special teams and a good running game (thanks Hyde) so I'm just going to go ahead and say you're wrong about this.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its alright cc they won't hit on every move. They did get Garcon who looks excellent and maybe found somthing in taylor. 2/3 ain't bad.

agree. i like those guys. taylor is really good. we still would have a suckie qb and a suckie pass protection line but at least we would have three good wide outs. i hope our rookie tight end can come around. in spite of the said qb and line
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Well we have the highest-ranked special teams and a good running game (thanks Hyde) so I'm just going to go ahead and say you're wrong about this.

special teams are good. all those years of special ed teams we had. hyde still makes me nervous but so far. so good with him.still worried about back up running back depth and the coaches have no clue how to use the fullback. you think you shell out that much.. oh never mind
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its alright cc they won't hit on every move. They did get Garcon who looks excellent and maybe found somthing in taylor. 2/3 ain't bad.

agree. i like those guys. taylor is really good. we still would have a suckie qb and a suckie pass protection line but at least we would have three good wide out. i hope our rookie tight end can come around. in spite of the said qb and line

Well according to the theory many here go by that so and so player have no future with the team. Garcon good player right now will be old and washed up by the time we start winning.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

but as of right now. we look closer to getting this ship in the right direction than i thought

as long as you love field goals.lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Well according to the theory many here go by that so and so player have no future with the team. Garcon good player right now will be old and washed up by the time we start winning.

if this year and the crappy qb play does not make him want out after this year. but we got that ship sailing in the right direction you know. i will say this team knows how to waste the prime years of the good players we have managed to have.. when i think of the wasted prime of gore willis and justin smith.
These numbers are off. Goodwin has had more then just 2 drops. Nonetheless, we do lead the league in drops and as another member pointed out, in penalties as well. Why? We just dont have a lot of talent on this team yet. I think Kettle our TE will be a good, not great TE in a season or two, and I think Taylor will be a good slot WR as well. But outside of Garcon, who is old, we do not have top talent at the WR spot or the TE spot.

I remember someone saying that for a team to really compete for a title, they must have; a franchise QB, a good HB, a top WR, a shutdown CB, and a great pass rusher. I would go so far to say we have none of these things. What about Hyde you say? Well, I am not sure he fits into our system the best and by the time our offense is coming together in about 3 years, I think Hyde's time in San Fran will be over due to age. I am not sold at all on the RB we drafted, Williams. I know coach liked the guy, but I have not seen much so far that makes me think he is our RB of the future. So with us being 0 for 5 on the positions needed to compete, I think we are a good 2-3 offseasons (3 good free agency signing periods and 3 good drafts) away from filling those 5 slots. Now, i hope to be wrong and that it doesnt take as long.

Thoughts?
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranDan21:
These numbers are off. Goodwin has had more then just 2 drops. Nonetheless, we do lead the league in drops and as another member pointed out, in penalties as well. Why? We just dont have a lot of talent on this team yet. I think Kettle our TE will be a good, not great TE in a season or two, and I think Taylor will be a good slot WR as well. But outside of Garcon, who is old, we do not have top talent at the WR spot or the TE spot.

I remember someone saying that for a team to really compete for a title, they must have; a franchise QB, a good HB, a top WR, a shutdown CB, and a great pass rusher. I would go so far to say we have none of these things. What about Hyde you say? Well, I am not sure he fits into our system the best and by the time our offense is coming together in about 3 years, I think Hyde's time in San Fran will be over due to age. I am not sold at all on the RB we drafted, Williams. I know coach liked the guy, but I have not seen much so far that makes me think he is our RB of the future. So with us being 0 for 5 on the positions needed to compete, I think we are a good 2-3 offseasons (3 good free agency signing periods and 3 good drafts) away from filling those 5 slots. Now, i hope to be wrong and that it doesnt take as long.

Thoughts?

I do believe we have none of these things. However I think building the interior oline and getting a replacement for Staley should be the priority before getting the QB. O line is king for maxing the talents of the quarterback position. Laken may be ok, Garnet may be ok. Kilgore and fuscoe are not. Need to see what magnussen has sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by cciowa:

as long as you love field goals.lol

Well it is pretty shocking as you had us as sb favorites

Thoughts?

I think the fundamentals of a super bowl winning team is a premier passrusher (or a platoon of good ones). franchise qb, and a good line. We are slowly building a passrush, we got a damn good interior but a lack of a outside presence.

Our line has potential, if laken keeps improving and garnett can stay healthy, it could be nice cheap options at guard. We have good tackles in staley and brown, although staley is older so we might have to search for another tackle in a couple of years.

Now qb is the most challenging position to find in all of sports in my opinion. If you don't have an elite qb, you are not winning a superbowl unless you have incredible luck and/or hot at the right moment (eli and flacco) or a dominant defense (denver and 2000 baltimore). Cousins could be the guy, but I haven't seen much playoff success. Rosen, imo, has the leadership and moxie to lead a team to the promise land, but you never know.

I think having a premier wr is nice, but not required. Brady never had a future HOF wr during any of his superbowl wins, Moss was the only one and they lost during his time there. I am a bigger fan of having 3 or 4 good receivers capable of getting 800-1000 yards receiving than one guy that gets 1300+. A shutdown corner is hard to find these days, thats why you find a couple of solid corners and have a stellar pass rush. Our CBs are our youngest group and it is no coincidence that they are the unit that is struggling the most. Who knows, this time next year all of our corners turn into solid players, or they could all be burnt toast. Either way, pass rushing is top priority before secondary.

If you list all time greatest RBs, only Emmit Smith contributed for a superbowl. Payton won one but was not effective during the game, hell they gave the fridge all the carries at the goal line. Barrys team was always ass with a couple of playoff appearances. LT was a regular season stud but was iffy during the playoffs. APs closest run at the superbowl was with Favre and he was one of the reasons they lost that game. You're right, it is important to have a good rb, but you don't need a generational talent in order to make a run. Hyde, when healthy, can be a good enough back to contribute for a superbowl run.
You mean like 29 year old Robinson? This is more than just Kerley too...everyone wants to dump on the roster for the output this season on offense and praise KS for the work he's done without acknowledging that 75% of the starters on that offense are his guys, he picked them and the few that are actually not his guys are players like Hyde, Staley and Brown. This isn't a similar situation that Chip walked into last season, KS isn't forced to utilize players he inherited he's had that freedom to hand pick everything about this roster and the results so far have been abysmal.

You mean guys who already played in the offense and could help with the install? Robinson will be gone and most of the others beyond Garcon, Taylor and Goodwin. Kyle brought in a bunch of guys who knew the scheme and set about installing the offense and rebuilding a historically bad defense. In the offseason I am sure the offense will be addressed pretty comprehensively so people can stop whining and crying about how everything wasn't made better in a single year.
Originally posted by lasko39:
49ers suck in all aspect of the game, their is no way any of us can sugarcoat this.

The special teams is one of the top ranked units in the NFL right now. The run defense is significantly improved from the s**tshow that we saw last year. The run game looks pretty good overall with Hyde having a career year. No they aren't a good team, nobody is sugarcoating that, nobody with any sort of common sense expected everything to suddenly be better but there are many things that are trending in the right direction with this team.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I think the fundamentals of a super bowl winning team is a premier passrusher (or a platoon of good ones). franchise qb, and a good line. We are slowly building a passrush, we got a damn good interior but a lack of a outside presence.

Our line has potential, if laken keeps improving and garnett can stay healthy, it could be nice cheap options at guard. We have good tackles in staley and brown, although staley is older so we might have to search for another tackle in a couple of years.

Now qb is the most challenging position to find in all of sports in my opinion. If you don't have an elite qb, you are not winning a superbowl unless you have incredible luck and/or hot at the right moment (eli and flacco) or a dominant defense (denver and 2000 baltimore). Cousins could be the guy, but I haven't seen much playoff success. Rosen, imo, has the leadership and moxie to lead a team to the promise land, but you never know.

I think having a premier wr is nice, but not required. Brady never had a future HOF wr during any of his superbowl wins, Moss was the only one and they lost during his time there. I am a bigger fan of having 3 or 4 good receivers capable of getting 800-1000 yards receiving than one guy that gets 1300+. A shutdown corner is hard to find these days, thats why you find a couple of solid corners and have a stellar pass rush. Our CBs are our youngest group and it is no coincidence that they are the unit that is struggling the most. Who knows, this time next year all of our corners turn into solid players, or they could all be burnt toast. Either way, pass rushing is top priority before secondary.

If you list all time greatest RBs, only Emmit Smith contributed for a superbowl. Payton won one but was not effective during the game, hell they gave the fridge all the carries at the goal line. Barrys team was always ass with a couple of playoff appearances. LT was a regular season stud but was iffy during the playoffs. APs closest run at the superbowl was with Favre and he was one of the reasons they lost that game. You're right, it is important to have a good rb, but you don't need a generational talent in order to make a run. Hyde, when healthy, can be a good enough back to contribute for a superbowl run.

We have a very nice prospect OT in Darrell Williams on PS. Big ,quick, but raw. He would be an excellent kid to move up, but needs lots of practice snaps before any of that happens.

Who was the 49ers franchise QB and shutdown CB from 2011 to 2013? They had good QB performances but other than the latter part of 2012, they didn't have anyone really approaching franchise level QB dominance. They sure as hell never had any kind of a shutdown CB. Who was the top WR? Crabtree was a perfectly good WR but I wouldn't call him a "top WR" by any stretch of the imagination.

This team with a top quality QB and a legit top end pass rusher would make them significantly better and help turn close L's into W's. . They've got a lot of pieces, now they need a few key guys to put it all together. I don't see it taking 3 offseasons either assuming that they don't repeatedly whiff on QB's. Sign Cousins, draft Barkley, trade up back into the 1st and get the top pass rusher available, sign and draft WR's and OL and I think this is a far improved team next year.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 6, 2017 at 5:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone