LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Week 3 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jed ponied up, what, $1M to support Kaps cause from day 1 and during a time there was much backlash.

The ignorance to blame Jed for Kap being out of the NFL or "bring back Kap" are just that...ignorance.

Great write up and hey, what more can we ask for...loss by 3, loss by 2, down to the wire games but still hold serve for a top pick in the draft.

Isn't that what we all asked for originally?

Agreed. Excited to see what this team can do as we go thru the next few weeks
Originally posted by Baylor:
Players standing for God Save The King just shows how uneducated they are. Yes let's stand for the country that brought slavery to the new world

It's "God Save the Queen", not "King", and it is definitively not the national anthem of Spain, which brought the first slaves to the new world.

Not sure you're the right person to be running around and accusing others of being uneducated, love.

As for the thread, nice write up again, Marv.

Very good point about Jeb, and not something I had given much though too. He's so easy to pile on about it's a good reminder that he's more incompetent than villain.

Totally agreed on Garçon. Luckily his game doesn't depend as much on speed and agility as most receivers so I can see him maintaining as a contributor over the next few years (kinda like a less physically dominating Boldin in that way).

It was nice to see Breida look competent during the regular season too. I've been having fears of Mike Davis who looked all world against inferior competition last preseason, but then went right back to being himself against starters.

From what I could see from the angle Jimmie Ward had a good game, but as always seems to be the case with Ward, his good play goes mostly overlooked and unmentioned.

And I know it's an unpopular opinion, but without the proper camera angle to disprove it I do believe it was probably OPI on Taylor. It looks more than possible to me that it was OPI from the angle we do have, and I know bashing refs is everyone's favorite pastime, but I just think it's more likely than not that in that situation a ref doesn't make that call if it's an unclear one. The DB also jumped up screaming about it as soon as he made the tackle and Taylor didn't protest it at all. The important part for me though is that even as a fan, from the angle we do have OPI looks like a clear if inconclusive possibility.

Also worth noting is that with a bunch of folks in the concussion protocol and Tank now on IR (right after he was finally starting to do something) it looks like we're beset by the same weekly attrition that's been plaguing us over the last few years.

On Armstead, I think Tank is actually a good example of how little emphasis we as fans give to scheme fit. Tank went from a reviled, back of the roster bust to a pretty competent starter over the last three weeks simply because he was finally in a scheme that fit his skill set. My guess is we're going to spend much of the year talking about how Armstead sucks rather than talking about how he's a square peg in a round hole in this defense to begin with.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Sep 25, 2017 at 8:58 PM ]
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Players standing for God Save The King just shows how uneducated they are. Yes let's stand for the country that brought slavery to the new world

It's "God Save the Queen", not "King", and it is definitively not the national anthem of Spain, which brought the first slaves to the new world.

Not sure you're the right person to be running around and accusing others of being uneducated, love.
Hate to nitpick, but the first slaves were actually brought here by the Dutch
Originally posted by CO9er4life:

Hate to nitpick, but the first slaves were actually brought here by the Dutch

Hate to nitpick your nitpick ( ), but he said "the new world", and for that IIRC we'd be talking Ferdinand of Spain shipping slaves to the Dominican Republic in the 1500-1510 ballpark.

Even if by the "the new world" he mistakenly meant the (eventual) U.S., he still ain't right though. Spaniards, the Dutch, and the Portuguese all got 'em beat. If you're referencing Jamestown there's some debate about if that was a Dutch or Portuguese ship, but either way, slaves were brought to Florida a half century before that.

In any case, back to football.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Sep 25, 2017 at 8:50 PM ]

As for the thread, nice write up again, Marv.

Very good point about Jeb, and not something I had given much though too. He's so easy to pile on about it's a good reminder that he's more incompetent than villain.

Totally agreed on Garçon. Luckily his game doesn't depend as much on speed and agility as most receivers so I can see him maintaining as a contributor over the next few years (kinda like a less physically dominating Bolden in that way).

It was nice to see Breida look competent during the regular season too -- I've been having fears of Mike Davis who looked all world against inferior competition last preseason by then went right back to being himself against starters.

From what I could see from the angle Jimmie Ward had a good game, but as always seems to be the case with Ward, his good play goes mostly overlooked and unmentioned.

And I know it's an unpopular opinion, but without the proper camera angle to disprove it I do believe it was probably OPI on Taylor. It looks more than possible to me from the angle we do have, and I know bashing refs is everyone's favorite pastime, but I just think it's more likely than not that in that situation a ref doesn't make that call if it's an unclear one. The DB also jumped up screaming about it as soon as he made the tackle and Taylor didn't protest it at all. So, there's no way to be sure but I think as fams we're all pretty motivated to disagree with something we don't know for certain, and which on numerous replays definitely looked like it could have been a push off.

Also worth noting is that with a bunch of folks in the concussion protocol and Tank now on IR (right after he was finally starting to do something) it looks like we're beset by the same weekly attrition that's been plaguing us over the last few years.

On Armstead, I think Tank is actually a good example of how little emphasis we as fans give to scheme fit. Tank went from a reviled, back of the roster bust to a pretty competent starter over the last three weeks simply because he was finally in a scheme that fit his skill set. My guess is we're going to spend much of the year talking about how Armstead sucks rather than talking about how he's a square peg in a round hole in this defense to begin with.

Great post!
Hate to nitpick your nitpick ( ), but he said "the new world", and for that IIRC we'd be talking Ferdinand of Spain shipping slaves to the Dominican Republic in the 1500-1510 ballpark.

Even if by the "the new world" he mistakenly meant the (eventual) U.S., he still ain't right though. Spaniards, the Dutch, and the Portuguese all got 'em beat. If you're referencing Jamestown there's some debate about if that was a Dutch or Portuguese ship, but either way, slaves were brought to Florida a half century before that.

Touché, my good man.
Originally posted by CO9er4life:

Touché, my good man.

Cheers, man.

TBF though, I only knew it was the Spanish in the D.R. b/c I remember someone telling me that, and then went off to read about it out of boredom and shared it all here cuz I was excited to have learned some stuff.
So It appears that no country or society has ever been without it's faults it seems........ imagine that lol.
Heh. And not only that, but 'faults' as judged by civilisations a few hundred years down the track without real context or understanding.

Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
So It appears that no country or society has ever been without it's faults it seems........ imagine that lol.
What I don't get, is that the same people who didn't want to give the D any kudos after playing two inept offenses, are also quick to completely write them off after one Thursday night game. Yes, they didn't look good, but the Ram's also gave up a bunch of yards and points, and they had a top 10 D last year (yards per game and play I think).

Thursday night games are stupid, and I think the D will settle down and give us an average unit this year, with signs of promise for the future.

Originally posted by WolfTotem:
What I don't get, is that the same people who didn't want to give the D any kudos after playing two inept offenses, are also quick to completely write them off after one Thursday night game. Yes, they didn't look good, but the Ram's also gave up a bunch of yards and points, and they had a top 10 D last year (yards per game and play I think).

Thursday night games are stupid, and I think the D will settle down and give us an average unit this year, with signs of promise for the future.

I sure hope so, I'll say 1 thing is Saleh seems to have these young kids in the best position to succeed and play their best unlike the last 2 years..this defense is so young and dripping with talent, they just need to grow and play together, I love that even on offense these coaches are living and dying with the young kids, only way to improve and grow is to get live action..
Share 49ersWebzone