LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Sign or draft a QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If we have a high enough draft pick, draft Rosen or Darnold.... but if both are gone then go for Saquon Barkley.
[ Edited by hello28 on Sep 25, 2017 at 1:32 PM ]
CJ Beathard wasn't a wasted pick. Was Kirk Cousins a wasted pick? Was Jimmy Garroppolo a wasted pick?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Sign Cousins or Smith. Draft OL or edge rush with the first round pick.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Both are viable, but I'm with English.

Give me the young gun and I enjoy the climb to competitiveness. Plus a drafted qb energizes the fan base.

To me cousins is meh as and will be very expensive.

I say this thinking we aren't going to contend for playoffs until 2019.

Right now I want us to take Rosen. I trust Shanahan to be able to mold Rosen into something close to Matt Ryan over time. The off the field stuff doesn't worry me much at this point. The kid is just young and outspoken. I can remember Aaron Rodgers having some of the same criticism when he came out. To me having a potential 12-15 good years with Rosen is preferable to 6 or so good years with Cousins. Finally I'm not sure Cousins is quite worth the money he is likely to receive. If we do pick up a few games down the stretch then perhaps a Cousins/Barkley or a Cousins/Ridley scenario would be a great fall back option.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Both are viable, but I'm with English.

Give me the young gun and I enjoy the climb to competitiveness. Plus a drafted qb energizes the fan base.

To me cousins is meh as and will be very expensive.

I say this thinking we aren't going to contend for playoffs until 2019.

Right now I want us to take Rosen. I trust Shanahan to be able to mold Rosen into something close to Matt Ryan over time. The off the field stuff doesn't worry me much at this point. The kid is just young and outspoken. I can remember Aaron Rodgers having some of the same criticism when he came out. To me having a potential 12-15 good years with Rosen is preferable to 6 or so good years with Cousins. Finally I'm not sure Cousins is quite worth the money he is likely to receive. If we do pick up a few games down the stretch then perhaps a Cousins/Barkley or a Cousins/Ridley scenario would be a great fall back option.

I know little of college ball, but I like what I see so far. Cousins is an option if he makes sense (we have cap space to keep building) and they don't like any of the rookies.
Cousins might be tagged for the 3rd consecutive time despite what many experts say might be his last season as a Skin. If he keeps winning or even give her a wild card spot then Snyder just use his last tag just because he give him leverage on draft board. He might be traded but not for Niners. Personally I prefer going after Darnold/Rosen and seems team gonna compete for top 3 draft spot this season so better use the salary cap on interior linemen and No.1 receiver and corners on FA
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd like to draft a qb. I'm scared of signing an ageing Cousins.
Originally posted by NIMV4683:
Cousins might be tagged for the 3rd consecutive time despite what many experts say might be his last season as a Skin. If he keeps winning or even give her a wild card spot then Snyder just use his last tag just because he give him leverage on draft board. He might be traded but not for Niners. Personally I prefer going after Darnold/Rosen and seems team gonna compete for top 3 draft spot this season so better use the salary cap on interior linemen and No.1 receiver and corners on FA

Don't forget we have extra picks and that 2nd rounder should net a solid player as well (hopefully a top guard!!!)
Now that I think about it if we do draft the fqb then after we need to go online. Add to the defense using FA, wr as well.

This really is a multi-year rebuild and I'm trying hard as hell to be patient. It's just if we are gonna draft the qb top 3.... give him a great o-line. That means we will have a running game as well!
Drafting a FQB is always the goal, it can set you up in the position for a decade plus.

At the moment though it's hard to get passed how many needs we have elsewhere and getting an established qb does open up the opportunity to fill gaps elsewhere.

I'm about 55-45 in favour of Cousins. Ask me in a few days it might be the opposite.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Well we blew on not trying to trade of sign Bradford.. now, IMO, the best move we can possibly make for next year if we wanna compete is to trade for Eli Manning, and draft one of these QBs early in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Well we blew on not trying to trade of sign Bradford.. now, IMO, the best move we can possibly make for next year if we wanna compete is to trade for Eli Manning, and draft one of these QBs early in the 2nd round.

No no no no no.

No.
What about a 25 year old Jimmy G who will be a free agent after the season?
We might possibly be 3-0 RIGHT NOW with Cousins.

I say fix the O-Line, get a pass rusher and a starting corner and we're back in the playoffs! 😎👍
This is a tricky one... here's how I think it will play out:

I think the Niners sign Cousins to a 5 year deal in the offseason. He's 29 now, so he'll be 30 next season. QB's nowadays can continue to have success late into their 30s and in some cases, early 40s. AGE and MONEY are the ONLY two things that would lead us to choose a rookie QB over Cousins! Best of all, he is familiar with the apparently complex offense that Shanahan runs. Yes, he will cost much more than a rookie... But there's no rookie that will have more immediate success than Kirk Cousins will. We have the cap space, and other glaring needs on our team that we could fill in with the draft (OG, WR, CB, DE).
Share 49ersWebzone