LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Sign or draft a QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by cciowa:
sign cousins. spend that number one pick on a glaring need and you can pick it. offensive line. secondary. pass rusher.... or due to the fact we have and will have many holes to fill. trade that pick for a bunch of picks to fill mutliple holes. you know it will be a top three pick for sure. then you hope lynch can draft decent players who can be players for us. unlike thomas who is looking questionable as we go along

If we sign Cousins, we should trade our pick for a king's ransom.
agree. it will most likely be a top three pick. if our gm is smart, he could get a bunch of picks to fix a bunch of holes. does it make sense to put a kid or anyone behind this offensive line?
I say sign cousins, drop Hoyer, keep Beathard and develop him. Let's fill other team needs in FA and draft by maybe giving up our 1 for several other picks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
I say sign cousins, drop Hoyer, keep Beathard and develop him. Let's fill other team needs in FA and draft by maybe giving up our 1 for several other picks.

excellent young man. maybe sign a cheap vet to compete or draft another kid late?
If the niners draft a QB with their first pick doesn't that make the C.J. Beathard pick a wasted pick? Just another wasted 3rd round pick!

When was the last time this team drafted a 3rd rounder that was any good? You have to go back 8 years and 2 GMs to Bowman. That's 9 picks in 7 years that have been total busts. Oh yeah, and they've got 2 more 3rds to screw up next year. They might as well trade those picks away and get something rather than nothing.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sign Cousins, draft Saquon Barkley, hit the gym, get off Facebook, lawyer up.

This sums it up....I think Beathard will be good if he sits for a couple years. Drafting Rosen or Darnold , your talking another 3-5 years just for them. We know we'll be getting a good QB in Cousins, our defense is still young and we can still get a couiple key players via FA. This Barkley kid is supposed to be the next best thing since A. Peterson..........and the hit gym and get off facebook/lawyer up can help alot of folks..
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
This sums it up....I think Beathard will be good if he sits for a couple years. Drafting Rosen or Darnold , your talking another 3-5 years just for them. We know we'll be getting a good QB in Cousins, our defense is still young and we can still get a couiple key players via FA. This Barkley kid is supposed to be the next best thing since A. Peterson..........and the hit gym and get off facebook/lawyer up can help alot of folks..

3-5 years?!?! My god lol
Watched Cousins last night. Very efficient, but not the Second Coming. I like how he hands off the ball.
I'd venture to say the 'Skins D line and rushing attack was way more impressive.
Hey! That wins games.
Cousins not $25 mil QB but he can run an offense.

As to draft?
Sophomores are hard to get bandwagonny about.
In a dream scenario, take cousins, trade the pick, surround him with Saquon Barkley, Equanimeous St. Brown, Martez Ivey, Mason Cole, and Josh Sweat
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Sep 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM ]
Sign Cousins, draft Saquon Barkley, hit the gym, get off Facebook, lawyer up.
IANAL but I think Kap has a case, he should take the league to court.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
If we get a top 2 pick, draft a QB

Originally posted by TheNef77:
If we get a top 2 pick, draft a QB

Even if darnold stays in school and jets are pickong #1?
We need to draft a qb. Hopefully, we get Josh Rosen, but there are quite a few good qbs in the 2018 class. Some people keep bringing up Cousins, but he wants to be in Washington. He needs to be there cause he's doing quite well there. The state of the 9ers won't get fixed overnight so we got to be patient.
only interested in Rosen and then Darnold in the draft. If we are not in position to get them, id go for Kirk. With how good teams like Jets, Bears, Jags, Bills, and even CLE looked this past weekend, we may be in good position to draft Rosen or Darnold.

I will say though that i dont think Darnold will come out in the draft. He is really talented but he still looks inexperienced out there. He does best when he improvises but he needs to prove he can stand in the pocket and deliver throw after throw like Rosen. I think Darnold will get there but hasnt shown it consistently enough. He has stated too that he could very well come back to USC.
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Sep 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Rams got a ton for RGIII. Surely Rosen/Darnold is worth as much.

49ers pick #3, Rosen goes #1, Darnold stays at USC.

I already posted that Darnold didn't look ready for the NFL. And whereas we may pick high, i don't think we get Rosen...who also has his question marks. If he goes #1, it will be higher than we are drafting, and after all the hype, and now the Warts he has( hard to get along with, doesn't play 100% all the time, etc), those are reasonable questions. So i don't think we are picking #1 in draft, and Rosen won't be there anyway.

Cousins has to play out his yr, and after game 1 it was not a good outing. Has looked better since then. FR QB? Right now no, but then again, we are only 3 games in. But do you really think he is a FR QB? I seriously wonder.

Still waiting to get a good look at kid from WYO.

With hoyer I'm afraid we get a capable QB but not the FR QB to lead us to SB wins. Now that could sure change with a great season, but right now, no.

Best bet is for CJ to wait til last 4-6 games, get ZBS down cold wiht 2 or 3 OLs that aren't very good, and then see if we feel he is the one...the FR QB. If so great, and then go from there. But aside from that, i am so far unimpresssed with the "great QB class fo 2017" and am not sold yet on Cousins. CJ is the one i really want to see wth 5 or 6 games left to go in season. I hope he is the one .IF not , we got a ways to go before getting our FR QB.
Originally posted by WerschingMachine:
If the niners draft a QB with their first pick doesn't that make the C.J. Beathard pick a wasted pick? Just another wasted 3rd round pick!

When was the last time this team drafted a 3rd rounder that was any good? You have to go back 8 years and 2 GMs to Bowman. That's 9 picks in 7 years that have been total busts. Oh yeah, and they've got 2 more 3rds to screw up next year. They might as well trade those picks away and get something rather than nothing.

It was pick #104 or something. We traded a 6th to move up a couple spots from the 4th so it was basically our 4th round pick. Witherspoon was our true third. If we only had one third and used that early third on Beathard I think it would've been a tad different. Anyway...

You need to take those gambles with QB far more often than we have over the last decade.

Taking a project QB like that when we had absolutely no QB's on the roster is fine by me. I'd rather have CJ backing Hoyer than Barkley or some other burned out vet making a million or so. It's like buying a lottery ticket. Heck, if CJ comes in and plays well (and we draft a guy like Rosen) we can trade him for a pick or two down the line. He played better than most expected in the preseason so he's on the right path. He'll probably play some this season (in some real games) so we'll have a better idea of what we have after that.
Share 49ersWebzone