There are 305 users in the forums

Sign or draft a QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Everyone keeps talking about the QB class this year, but I think if we get a top pick, it would be best to sign an aging QB and trade a top pick for a draft haul. Cousins will be good for at least another 4 years, or if Shanahan thinks CJ is the QBOTF, keep Hoyer or sign Eli and use the draft to bolster the Offensive line and pass rush.
I will take Rosen
Both are viable, but I'm with English.

Give me the young gun and I enjoy the climb to competitiveness. Plus a drafted qb energizes the fan base.

To me cousins is meh as and will be very expensive.

I say this thinking we aren't going to contend for playoffs until 2019.
Originally posted by English:
I will take Rosen

Me too

This team has a tall mountain to climb and it will take time. I would rather have a young QB to build around.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
sign cousins. spend that number one pick on a glaring need and you can pick it. offensive line. secondary. pass rusher.... or due to the fact we have and will have many holes to fill. trade that pick for a bunch of picks to fill mutliple holes. you know it will be a top three pick for sure. then you hope lynch can draft decent players who can be players for us. unlike thomas who is looking questionable as we go along
Sign Cousins, draft Saquon Barkley, hit the gym, get off Facebook, lawyer up.
Originally posted by cciowa:
sign cousins. spend that number one pick on a glaring need and you can pick it. offensive line. secondary. pass rusher.... or due to the fact we have and will have many holes to fill. trade that pick for a bunch of picks to fill mutliple holes. you know it will be a top three pick for sure. then you hope lynch can draft decent players who can be players for us. unlike thomas who is looking questionable as we go along

If we sign Cousins, we should trade our pick for a king's ransom.
I will take Rosen

Depends on how the intangible stuff about Rosen checks out. Reports about coaches and teammates finding him difficult to deal with, concerns about his work ethic and how hard he is prepared to push himself. Beyond that he has to improve his decision making out on the field.

And in the end if all the intangibles stuff checks out, with Darnold being reported by several sources as highly likely to return to USC for another year, 49ers could be SOOL if they don't have the #1 pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sign Cousins, draft Saquon Barkley, hit the gym, get off Facebook, lawyer up.

What happened phoenix? Who got to you man?
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Depends if there is anyone worth trading a king's ransom for. I don't see an Andrew Luck type QB prospect.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
What happened phoenix? Who got to you man?

Just repeating a dumb meme.
I will take Rosen

If we aren't able to draft him then I'm all for going after Cousins and getting a super star in the making in Barkley.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Depends if there is anyone worth trading a king's ransom for. I don't see an Andrew Luck type QB prospect.

Rams got a ton for RGIII. Surely Rosen/Darnold is worth as much.
Depends on some variables that we don't yet have answers for. Cousins will have interests outside of SF or Washington and that will only drive up the price. How much are you willing to pay? We also don't know the pick we'll have nor has anyone really started fully assessing the talent of this years QB crop. If the talent is lukewarm I would sign Cousins (the guy you know) and look to trade the pick.
Rams got a ton for RGIII. Surely Rosen/Darnold is worth as much.

49ers pick #3, Rosen goes #1, Darnold stays at USC.
Share 49ersWebzone