LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

Is Kyle Shanahan overmatched being both the Head Coach AND the Offensive Coordinator?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Kyle Shanahan overmatched being both the Head Coach AND the Offensive Coordinator?

Lack of discipline.... It was evident during the preseason, and it really hasn't improved.
Too soon to tell. I think he needs to remain the OC though that is his talent. Unless someone like Kubiak came in. I think what he needs is an assitant head coach. Someone to make suggestions or help manage game.
This team is so undisciplined because this team is young and stupid. By this time next year, i hope they can sort out most of their mistakes. Remember, this team could have been 2-1 despite Hoyer playing awful thus far.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I think he is doing too much. He can be more effective in his offense if he allocates some duties. Right now we are f**king up the fundamentals. We play a clean game, we beat the Rams.

Hoyers pick 6 and dropped passes don't fall on Shanny. That bad PI call on Taylor and the non PI calls don't fall on Shanny.....just sayin. Despite the bad play by Hoyer, Shanny has called each game the best he could and at times have thrived. Goodwin dropped a potential game clincher in Seattle and say what you want against the Rams but bad officiating lost that game for us despite the hole they dug themselves into.

Nothing wrong with Shanny's responsibilities, the guys just need to execute and make plays on both sides of the ball. Season 1 is more of an orientation...season 2 is where it should start to mesh alot better.
[ Edited by Baldie on Sep 25, 2017 at 2:27 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
This team is so undisciplined because this team is young and stupid. By this time next year, i hope they can sort out most of their mistakes. Remember, this team could have been 2-1 despite Hoyer playing awful thus far.

woulda coulda shoulda. fun game
If Shanahan was sitting on the sideline with his playbook not even paying attention while his defense is on the field (like McVay does) I'd be a little more worried.

Agreed that I'd rather him bring in Asst. Head coach than O Coordinator though (if you're gonna do that what's the point of bringing Shanahan in to begin with).
This team isn't undisciplined because it's young.... that notion is completely laughable.
Originally posted by Follower:
This team isn't undisciplined because it's young.... that notion is completely laughable.

It's an explanation that might be convenient for fans to believe, but why is it laughable?

As I see it we've got several different possible factors, which might also interact:

1) player youth.
2) first year in a new scheme for everyone on both sides of the ball.
3) Atypically young first time head coach and first time DC who either aren't comfortable or experienced enough to truly institute that level of discipline.

Or the lack of discipline could just be a long term flaw in KS' coaching a la Pete Carroll and the Seahawks.

Anyone insisting that any of these are the definite right answer or a definite wrong answer is trying to sell something.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

It's an explanation that might be convenient for fans to believe, but why is it laughable?

As I see it we've got several different possible factors, which might also interact:

1) player youth.
2) first year in a new scheme for everyone on both sides of the ball.
3) Atypically young first time head coach and first time DC who either aren't comfortable or experienced enough to truly institute that level of discipline.

Or the lack of discipline could just be a long term flaw in KS' coaching a la Pete Carroll and the Seahawks.

Anyone insisting that any of these are the definite right answer or a definite wrong answer is trying to sell something.

I think laughable was too strong of a word.... and I agree with your points above.... More than anything, I tend to believe discipline is defined by culture
Lack of discipline.... It was evident during the preseason, and it really hasn't improved.

I don't know, the niners scored 39 points this last game, the defense wasn't prepared. And the refs blew that PI call on Taylor.

I just don't know about this Walsh guy. He doesn't have a command of the players, he's too cerebral walking around with a clipboard or whatever that is.

Yeah, they moved the ball the first year, but where are the wins? There are no moral victories.

And then, he drafts this weak armed Montana kid that no other team wanted, he should have traded up to get Phil Simms. And why did he get rid of OJ? I know he's lost a step, but he's a proven commodity in this league, and a great leader of men, and a strong family man.

I still think DeBerg is the short term answer, I don't like him pulling DeBerg just so Montana can run some gimmick play or two. And if you really believe in the kid, just put him out there right away and play him, he's gonna suck anyway, and we'll have to draft another QB next year.

Finally, we should have never got rid of Jim Plunkett. We get rid of him, we wins the Super Bowl. Way to go, Eddie D, you're such a douche punk kid.

(Excerpt from Webzone 1980)
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MSteitz468:

I don't know, the niners scored 39 points this last game, the defense wasn't prepared. And the refs blew that PI call on Taylor.

the refs were not the reason we could not take advantage of a bad o line to get to the qb and it was not the reason why we gave up so much. the team is sloppy. it was in pre season, it is now. that is on the coach. sorry to break the notion shanny can do no wrong

Actually it's not. Penalties are not always just so cut and dry. In 2014 the New England Patriots had the third highest penalty yardage in the league and the fifth most penalties. This is a Bill Belichick coached team. The second highest penalized team ever in the NFL's history was a Kansas City Marty Schottenheimer coached team who was known to be hard nosed and a disciplinarian.

The 49ers aren't even in the top five in NFL penalties thus far this season. They have only thirteen more penalty yards then the New England Patriots and teams like the Steelers have both more penalties and significantly more penalty yardage. Mike Tomlin is a no nonsense guy as well.

The team is young with two new schemes on both sides of the ball. On offense their installing one of the more complex offense's in the league. Penalties will and should be expected. On defense you have a ton of youth and a staff that is pushing them to be physical. What do you think that will equate too?

This regime just turned over seventy percent of the team from last year in one off-season. That's a lot of new players playing together. It's naive not to expect there to be chinks in the armor this early in the process. Teams that are willing to turnover bodies as quickly as this one has are far from pushovers. This whole thing about the team is undisciplined is getting nonsensical. Things take time. This has been preached since February when the new regime started together.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Sep 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
He needs an asst HC or maybe an OC that just does the gameplanning or what not, but he continues to call plays. It really is pointless to have Shannahan as a CEO type HC tho. His talent and greatness is offense so his hands need to be on it somehow.

But it is just 3 games. He's still learning in a throwaway season. Maybe he'll figure it out.
He has the presence of an offensive coordinator....
Share 49ersWebzone