LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 139 users in the forums

Is Kyle Shanahan overmatched being both the Head Coach AND the Offensive Coordinator?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Kyle Shanahan overmatched being both the Head Coach AND the Offensive Coordinator?

Originally posted by HERN:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
We're going to have to go through This every time we lose a game aren't we?

Yes. 13 more to be exact. If we don't get a coach with a turnaround like Harbaugh, then it was the wrong hire.

But Harbaugh walked into a loaded roster. All he did was light a match and boom!
he had a GOOD GAME on Thursday night. give it a rest.
No

Yes. 13 more to be exact. If we don't get a coach with a turnaround like Harbaugh, then it was the wrong hire.

Well, big difference in the teams they inherited. Harbaw inherited a team that had been making picks in the top 6-8 every yr for yrs, so his team was stacked. Harbaw was a good organizer of talent.

Kyle and john, were left wth a team bereft of talent, and the 38 new guys on the team this yr bears that our. And FTR, we are going to dump more next yr...plus probably a few from this yr also So comparing harbaw's job to Kyle's is impossible, because Kyle's job is to acquire good or great talent. Harbaw already had the talent given to him. No way to compare the two coaches first couple yrs. ...one got a stacked team, the other got a team with few if any decent players. So no way can one say kyle was a bad hire if we get 2 or 4 or 5 Ws. He was left with no talent...unless he drafted or FAed it.

Apples and oranges type deal.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 25, 2017 at 12:30 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
It's obvious he is overmatched just look at how sloppy our team is all the penalties the turnovers. Also his in-game failures of wasting time outs in crunch time. However he is young And I think he'll learn he's a rookie coach learning on the job.
Shanahan said himself that he feels that it would be a mistake to give up the skill that got him this job in the first place. Its the best thing he brings to the table, so he needs to utilize it. Being an OC is second nature to him, so abandoning it to focus on just being the HC would get him away from who he is.

Being a HC and GM is nearly impossible to juggle. Being a HC and coordinator is just part of the job. I want my coach to be directly involved in how the game is being called. Thats why hes the coach. Mike Singletary was the motivator and supervisor type, and we saw where that got us. Every post game question was answered with "Id have to look at the film".
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
It's obvious he is overmatched just look at how sloppy our team is all the penalties the turnovers. Also his in-game failures of wasting time outs in crunch time. However he is young And I think he'll learn he's a rookie coach learning on the job.

lets throw to the running backs like he said he would. need to find something to do for the highest paid fullback in the nfl
I think he is doing too much. He can be more effective in his offense if he allocates some duties. Right now we are f**king up the fundamentals. We play a clean game, we beat the Rams.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 25, 2017 at 12:44 PM ]
What was the deal with the timeout taken prior to the 2pt conversion?
  • thl408
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Prevent a delay of game.

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:

lets throw to the running backs like he said he would. need to find something to do for the highest paid fullback in the nfl

Well between the HBs and FB they had 7 catches of the 23 completions. Juice only played 30% of the total snaps because of a concussion but had some nice blocks and a 34 yard catch up the seem. It's looks like the plan was to get the backs involved in the passing game.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 25, 2017 at 12:58 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Prevent a delay of game.

They were just unprepared?
The game may be seen as meaningless but if they had that timeout it looked to me like they would have had a much better chance to win.
He had problems in the Super Bowl with clock management. Maybe he needs some help with it in SF. Is he carrying Marathe's Field Management Guide?
  • thl408
Prevent a delay of game.

The game may be seen as meaningless but if they had that timeout it looked to me like they would have had a much better chance to win.
He had problems in the Super Bowl with clock management. Maybe he needs some help with it in SF. Is he carrying Marathe's Field Management Guide?
I don't know. There wasn't even a substitution. Same 11 guys from the TD play to lining up for the 2pt conversion.
Prevent a delay of game.

I don't know. There wasn't even a substitution. Same 11 guys from the TD play to lining up for the 2pt conversion.

He was looking up what Harbaugh would do, so he called a TO
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Well, big difference in the teams they inherited. Harbaw inherited a team that had been making picks in the top 6-8 every yr for yrs, so his team was stacked. Harbaw was a good organizer of talent.

Kyle and john, were left wth a team bereft of talent, and the 38 new guys on the team this yr bears that our. And FTR, we are going to dump more next yr...plus probably a few from this yr also So comparing harbaw's job to Kyle's is impossible, because Kyle's job is to acquire good or great talent. Harbaw already had the talent given to him. No way to compare the two coaches first couple yrs. ...one got a stacked team, the other got a team with few if any decent players. So no way can one say kyle was a bad hire if we get 2 or 4 or 5 Ws. He was left with no talent...unless he drafted or FAed it.

Apples and oranges type deal.

I agree 100%

Unfortunately, some don't. All they see is Wins and Losses. They don't believe that rosters matter. All they know is that one coach did it therefor if the next one cant do it, then that makes it the wrong hire.
Share 49ersWebzone