LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 119 users in the forums

How far away is this team from competing for a championship?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How far away is this team from competing for a championship?

• jrg
  • Veteran
3+ years
Originally posted by AlexCat49er:
You're forgetting AJ Jenkins and Rashaun Woods.
Please continue to forget them.
  • Jiks
It took us 5-6 years of high draft picks before 2011 and Harbaugh, so I'd expect 3+ with where this team is at.
Originally posted by Jiks:
It took us 5-6 years of high draft picks before 2011 and Harbaugh, so I'd expect 3+ with where this team is at.

Yeah but it should never have taken that long. That was the result of poor coaching and bombing drafts(2008 and pretty much everyone in 2009 but Crabtree).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jiks:

Yeah but it should never have taken that long. That was the result of poor coaching and bombing drafts(2008 and pretty much everyone in 2009 but Crabtree).

I agree with the 3-ish years. Kyle has a lot of growing pains to go through also, let alone the team with at least 15+ rookies. Rookie GM too.
assuming that defense will improve through this! season, we only will be in need of a pass rusher. defense could be very competitive next season.

then again, we still need a qb who needs some teaching time with the system or Cousins.
We will need at least one interior lineman unless they trust Garnett.
A RB could be a need if Hyde demands too much. However, one can find a fitting RB easily.
3 years most likely.
We need a season or two to rebuild the offensive line and work together as a unit. Staley has 2 seasons left before he goes down but I prefer they look for his replacement before that happens. Brown is decent but wary of moving him to left before he shows can dominate right side. Guards and Center have to upgrade with better players because current ones are bad also no reason to keep waiting to "bloom". Also need better pass rushers because Tank, Lynch, AA and Dumervil are not solution on long term (neither short term).
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
assuming that defense will improve through this! season, we only will be in need of a pass rusher. defense could be very competitive next season.

then again, we still need a qb who needs some teaching time with the system or Cousins.
We will need at least one interior lineman unless they trust Garnett.
A RB could be a need if Hyde demands too much. However, one can find a fitting RB easily.

We need a passrusher, corner, two guards, a tackle to replace staley, anď a qb. We need AT LEAST these things. We probably need more.

To answer the question, A
a championship is at least 3 years away assuming we draft well. Every team in the NFL is 3 years from a championship tho.
Whenever seattle falls off a cliff

• cciowa
  • Veteran
we are no where close. how about if we focus in on just trying to be competitive with teams teams we are not even competitive.. and not have scrubs on other teams like the browns did light us up.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NIMV4683:
We need a season or two to rebuild the offensive line and work together as a unit. Staley has 2 seasons left before he goes down but I prefer they look for his replacement before that happens. Brown is decent but wary of moving him to left before he shows can dominate right side. Guards and Center have to upgrade with better players because current ones are bad also no reason to keep waiting to "bloom". Also need better pass rushers because Tank, Lynch, AA and Dumervil are not solution on long term (neither short term).

Lots of work for the Rookie GM and HC to do. I think one reason Harbaugh was able to turn it around so fast (not the only one of course) he got lucky and drafted Aldon Smith. A guy like that can impact a defense big time. I think that solidified an already pretty good defense. Alex smith is a good QB and was a veteran so the offensive side was pretty set. Kyle doesn't have a young up and coming Aldon Smith or a game manager QB in the mould of Alex Smith so that, I think, is the difference between 2011 and 2017.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NIMV4683:

Lots of work for the Rookie GM and HC to do. I think one reason Harbaugh was able to turn it around so fast (not the only one of course) he got lucky and drafted Aldon Smith. A guy like that can impact a defense big time. I think that solidified an already pretty good defense. Alex smith is a good QB and was a veteran so the offensive side was pretty set. Kyle doesn't have a young up and coming Aldon Smith or a game manager QB in the mould of Alex Smith so that, I think, is the difference between 2011 and 2017.

Harbaugh was an experienced HC who knew how to get the best from his guys. They were a talented team when he arrived but underperforming until he molded them.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Dude. 2011 9ers had multiple 1st round talent (Alex Smith, Crabtree,Staley,Iupati,Anthony Davis, Vernon,Willis)and quality veterans (Gore,Justin Smith,Bowman,Goodwin,Andy Lee). They just need a good coaching staff and good draft/FA. While Aldon shown he fit nicely with that team, guy like Justin Houston would be better than him because he already played 3-4 in college but his stock dropped just because the marihuana tests.

Our current roster lack of talent compared to 2011, also they need a season or two to show real improvement specially on offense where they need perfect sync on all areas.
6 years away. I think in our last year, we might start sniffing 8-8.

Really hope that Jed extends Lynch and Kyle despite the losses though. We need some long-term longevity. Yorks need to just shut the f**k up, and look to the Rooney family as an example.
Share 49ersWebzone