There are 170 users in the forums

How far away is this team from competing for a championship?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How far away is this team from competing for a championship?

I'm trying to be realistic with my expectations for this team. We fell from grace quicker than any team I can remember. I don't want to compare it's to an expansion but we've got some work ahead of us.

1. We have a legit coach and a young intelligent g.m. I think with time they can right the ship

2. Still need a QB... Not sure where this guy is coming from but without him we're just like 3/4 of the rest of the league.

3. Need a dominate edge rusher.. with so much invested in the D-line I expected more from them. Good against the run, but zero pass rush.

4. Need an explosive play maker. When was the last first or second round Wr we selected?? JJ Stokes?? I honestly can't remember.

5. Need to finally pony up some dough for the interior O-line.. balke didn't believe in paying top dollar for gaurds and now it's showing..

We need help damn near everywhere. So hopefully we can get it figured out sooner rather than later.
[ Edited by jays9ers on Sep 12, 2017 at 7:51 AM ]
Answer to your question #3 is Michael Crabtree, but before him it probably was JJ Stokes.

Hilarious considering that the Niners just won an SB, and traded up to top 10 to get Stokes I suppose because of John Taylor's decline.

Meanwhile, we haven't sniffed an SB or a franchise QB (let alone HoF QB) in forever and we're allergic to drafting a WR high.

I won't say his name, but he had the same initials as Tony Soprano's son...makes me sick thinking about it.
I say 4 years for it to be real if we stick to schedule and Lynch and Shanny end up worth the time and money invested. Year 3 I want to see us in playoff contention with a real shot in year 4. First two years are system building and roster building...we are too bad and too far gone to expect any less. Year three is when want to see results with 4 being the start of sustained success and perennial contender status. If they are planning on the slow, permanent build that is needed to return to sustained results year over year, that is a fair schedule.
We better start making the playoffs within the next year or 2 or ima be pissed!
Totally forgot about Crabtree! I was so excited when we got him! I remember when we drafted Iupati over Dez Bryant.. I really wanted Dez buuuuuut we got a probowl gaurd we let walk...
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
We better start making the playoffs within the next year or 2 or ima be pissed!

I just don't think that is realistic...The talent on this team was sooo bad, like historically bad. Now we in year one are bad in spots with potential in others. It wont be until another draft and free agency before we can even get to respectable.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
3 years. It's amazing what competent FA signings and .500 draft can do for a team.... And doing that over 3 contiguous years can get you close to a SB.
Originally posted by Geeked:
3 years. It's amazing what competent FA signings and .500 draft can do for a team.... And doing that over 3 contiguous years can get you close to a SB.

I think 3 years is possible if we strike gold with a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott type of qb. Other than that 4 years for a total rebuild. Need a new gaurd potentially a all pro center and playmaker.
[ Edited by jays9ers on Sep 12, 2017 at 8:06 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
add a zero at the end of those numbers and I'll vote
  • jcs
  • Veteran
It all depends on the QB and if we go for a vet or a rookie. A vet is instant success a rookie could add 3 years to the process before we see dividends...if any.

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by Geeked:

I think 3 years is possible if we strike gold with a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott type of qb. Other than that 4 years for a total rebuild. Need a new gaurd potentially a all pro center and playmaker.

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
If they draft well and find a legit franchise QB. 2-3 years. Seattle did a complete roster rebuild in roughly 3 seasons, so it can be done relatively fast if you make the right decisions.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 12, 2017 at 8:17 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If they draft well and find a legit franchise QB. 2-3 years. Seattle did a complete roster rebuild in roughly 3 seasons, so it can be done relatively fast if you make the right decisions.

And that franchise QB does not have to be Darnold, Rosen, or Cousins... There are other guys out there, and some of those guys come from smaller schools.
I say a two good drafts away. A franchise QB and a #1 WR. We need to get that WR sooner than later so that Pierre can take him under his wings.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Answer to your question #3 is Michael Crabtree, but before him it probably was JJ Stokes.

Hilarious considering that the Niners just won an SB, and traded up to top 10 to get Stokes I suppose because of John Taylor's decline.

Meanwhile, we haven't sniffed an SB or a franchise QB (let alone HoF QB) in forever and we're allergic to drafting a WR high.

I won't say his name, but he had the same initials as Tony Soprano's son...makes me sick thinking about it.

You're forgetting AJ Jenkins and Rashaun Woods.
Share 49ersWebzone