There are 164 users in the forums

First Drive Recap - Wk 1 - Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

1st & 10:
Armstead is unblocked and shows good athleticism to chase down the RB across the field.
Buckner, Tank and Harold hold their ground well.
Bowman comes crashing in, but unfortunately misses the tackle.

2nd & 9:
Armstead isn't ready for the snap, and is about an hour late getting off.
Tank however blows straight past the RT. Alas, it's 3 step drop from shotgun, so he just doesn't have the time to get there.
The quick pass goes to McCaffrey, who shows some shake and bake, but Foster is having none of it. Incredible open field tackle.

3rd & 2:
Thomas gets double teamed by the RG and RT I think, so gets shoved aside to make the hole. He does well to shed the block and make the tackle though to stop a possible big gainer.
The RT gets to the 2nd level to block Bowman.
It kind of looks like the D gambled on a run to the left, but guessed wrong. First down.

Next set of downs coming soon...
[ Edited by WolfTotem on Sep 12, 2017 at 7:50 AM ]

1st & 10
Fumbled snap, so not much to say. But everyone swarms to the ball nicely.

2nd & 12
Another designed dump off to McCaffrey I think. Ball is out about 2.5/3 seconds after the snap.
Buckner beats his man and gets interior pressure, both he and Mitchell get their arms up in the throwing lane. Mitchell actually deflects the pass.

3rd & 12
Armstead and Buckner run a stunt, which quickly collapes the pocket. Though this obviously means they lose the outside containment.
Dumervil beats the RT too, and chases Newton down.
Williams does an excellent job of coming down and picking up Greg Olsen, so Cam just has to throw it away.

FOURTH DOWN!
All in all, I think the D played a strong first drive. Decent pressure, although Cam was getting the ball out very quickly. Good tackling from Foster. And good coverage from the DBs from what I can see.
  • thl408
Hell yeah WolfTotem! This is my kind of thread. Good stuff.
I like to see the effort by Armstead on the backside pursuit.

But what the hell kind of tackle was that?
it seemed like kwon williams had a decent game from some of the plays that I observed
Originally posted by Heroism:
I like to see the effort by Armstead on the backside pursuit.

But what the hell kind of tackle was that?

Lol I was thinking the same thing. Looked like some kind of wwe wrestling crossbody maneuver.
The instincts on Reuben Foster are just something you can't teach. The dude is magnetically propelled to the ball. Just always around it. If this guy can stay healthy, he's going to make a lot of money in this league.
Share 49ersWebzone