LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Next Year's O.C.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kyle has way too much in his plate. He needs an offensive coordinator to lighten his load. I wasn't a fan when he decided to be the o.c. as well as head coach. That being said... I think they'll bring one in ' next off season. I would have loved Brad Childress but after tonight he might get another shot as an head coach. Any other candidates?
The Chipster is available.
He's not bringing anyone in. This is his baby and his staff. I believe he already splits some of the calling with Mike McDaniel.
Gonna bring in Mike to be his OC
Gary Kubiak
Originally posted by dlance:
Gary Kubiak

I'd be pretty with that. They're cut from the same cloth. Not sure Kubiak's health will allow it though.
Harbaugh might leave Michigan again
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

McCoy or McDaniel?

Gary Kubiak

I'd like it but I doubt he comes here.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

McCoy or McDaniel?

Gary Kubiak

I'd like it but I doubt he comes here.

Mike Shanahan lol
Shanahan isn't giving up playcalling responsibilities, nor should he. If he brought in an OC, it would be like how most other HC's who call their own offenses have OC's, guys that largely focus on developing gameplans for the run game. Much like how Chip had Modkins as his OC. Shanahan has his helpers as well.

I don't see it being some major issue. You hire a guy like Shanahan because you want him running your team, but in particular the offense.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Shanahan isn't giving up playcalling responsibilities, nor should he. If he brought in an OC, it would be like how most other HC's who call their own offenses have OC's, guys that largely focus on developing gameplans for the run game. Much like how Chip had Modkins as his OC. Shanahan has his helpers as well.

I don't see it being some major issue. You hire a guy like Shanahan because you want him running your team, but in particular the offense.

Is he the OC or the HC??

Needs to have his attention on the entire team making sure everyone is doing their job wether it's offense, defense or Special Teams they all need to be disciplined and working together and the HC shouldn't be preocupied with scripting plays like a OC will throughout the game...on the opposite side when he's trying to be the HC he surely isn't devoting his attention to making offensive adjustments and scripting plays while the D is on the field.

As a rookie HC splitting his attention like this has the potential to sink him. Even the best of HC's don't attempt what he's doing just because it takes away from the game management side of the job.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Is he the OC or the HC??

Needs to have his attention on the entire team making sure everyone is doing their job wether it's offense, defense or Special Teams they all need to be disciplined and working together and the HC shouldn't be preocupied with scripting plays like a OC will throughout the game...on the opposite side when he's trying to be the HC he surely isn't devoting his attention to making offensive adjustments and scripting plays while the D is on the field.

As a rookie HC splitting his attention like this has the potential to sink him. Even the best of HC's don't attempt what he's doing just because it takes away from the game management side of the job.

To put even more pressure on himself he has a rookie DC. It's not like he has an experienced vet DC he can leave all of the responsibilities to deal with himself. Right now it's way too early to call. We are gonna have to wait anf see how he adjusts and develops as a HC. Hes definitely not taking the easy route.
One game in and you're already questioning Shanahan...wow. He's a rookie HC...he'll make some mistakes, they all do. Give the guy a break and have some patience. This team is virtually a total rebuild...37 new players. It's going to take some time to build chemistry...they'll get better, so will Coach. Chill.
Is he the OC or the HC??

doesn't mike mccarthy run the plays in GB? Maybe not anymore. I don't pay attention much to other teams.
Is he the OC or the HC??

And yet numerous other coaches do the same thing. You hire a guy like Shanahan, you're going to get a HC who calls his own offensive plays, much the same as Sean Payton has done in New Orleans. He has an OC who for most of his time there was basically a gameplanning assistant and a set of eyes up in the booth. Much like how Bruce Arians in Arizona runs the entire offense while having Harold Goodwin to assist with developing game plans and focusing on the run game. Andy Reid for most of his time as a HC has been calling his own plays, his OC's have been of the helper assistant variety. Mike Shanahan called the offense for his first 5 years in Denver until he finally passed off the duties to Kubiak who had built up plenty of trust equity by that point. Mike Holmgren called plays for pretty much his entire tenure as an NFL head coach while delegating game-planning and run game duties to assistants like Sherm Lewis. And of course, there is Bill Walsh who from the very beginning ran his offense the way he wanted and called all his own plays.
Share 49ersWebzone