LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Week 1 2017: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Baldie:
I think we'll give the Rams a game. We might not win but we'll be competitive. The CAR and SEA games will knock some sense into the team.

After the first 2 games I think the next 4 games after that are all winnable

Vs Rams
@ Cardinals
@ Colts
@ Rrdskins
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Vs Rams
@ Cardinals
@ Colts
@ Rrdskins

division matchups will be tough as always. Rams, Cardinals, and Redskins front 7 could easily dominate our OL and limit the offense.

I see the Colts as winnable only if Luck is still injured.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I think we'll give the Rams a game. We might not win but we'll be competitive. The CAR and SEA games will knock some sense into the team.

Vs Rams
@ Cardinals
@ Colts
@ Rrdskins

No doubt. The RAMS won't see that type of production again. That's like a 49er 1st win of the season Hype...It's downhill from here. Lol

how can I watch this now?
Saleh needs to work hard at creating a pass rush and making sure our LB's can contain Wilson when he bootlegs out of play action sets , I dont want to see us get cut up next week
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Saleh needs to work hard at creating a pass rush and making sure our LB's can contain Wilson when he bootlegs out of play action sets , I dont want to see us get cut up next week

Foster is not playing. And it will be Bowman and Ray-Ray out there. Ray-Ray is our only hope since he's better in coverage and faster
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Sep 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM ]

Wait until SEA isolates Arik Armstead on the backside on a zone-read play.

Lol
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

Vs Rams
@ Cardinals
@ Colts
@ Rrdskins

Was listening to Kevin Lynch on KNBR a bit a go and he had rewatched the game and said that the niners did not play as bad as everyone says they did. The 1st half the O and D played well. It was the dropped pass (Goodwin!!), a missed coverage assignment by Taart which lead to a CAR TD, and the penalties. On the Hoyer fumble, had he had just 2 seconds more Celek (I think it was) was wide open in the flat for a big gain. The 2 FG's in the 1st half by CAR were a result of the missed 4th downs by the niners which gave them a short field. The niners could have/should have been able to put up more points than 3. We probably wouldn't have won the game but we would have given them more of a fight. He reiterated that this is a young team and they are going to have their mistakes but overall based on the tape they played well. In the 2nd half shanny made the mistake by not running Hyde more often (2 carries in the 2nd half?).

These are all learning mistakes from a 1st time HC in Shanny to the players. This was week 1 against a SB contender who was not on their "A" game whom we should have played tougher. I think we play alot better after SEA because it gives the niners to tough teams to measure themselves against.

We need to start looking at the positives and I admit at times I wasn't.
[ Edited by Baldie on Sep 11, 2017 at 3:33 PM ]
season will be similar to 2005 if you zoners remember that year. Difference, better coaching and Talent with 2017 even though it did not show yesterday. Panthers much better team than us. I do like Kyle going for it on 4th down, will learn to call better plays in those situations.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Foster is not playing. And it will be Bowman and Ray-Ray out there. Ray-Ray is our only hope since he's better in coverage and faster
Except Ray-Ray misses tackles...

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
season will be similar to 2005 if you zoners remember that year. Difference, better coaching and Talent with 2017 even though it did not show yesterday. Panthers much better team than us. I do like Kyle going for it on 4th down, will learn to call better plays in those situations.

Kyle going for it on those 4th downs told the offense he had confidence in them. Maybe shanny was playing a psychology game with them but some of the offensive guys said after the game that they appreciated that.

Maybe there's more to this game 1 than we're looking at.
I'm went into this season looking for the young guys to get reps and learn the offensive and defensive systems. I'm going to get blasted for this but this franchise is going nowhere until we get a franchise QB. I don't care if this team goes 0-16 this season if it means we get our QB. Going 4 and 12 or 5-11 does nothing for this franchise at the QB position. I don't think it would be a good idea to give a 30 year old Kirk Cousins 5 years and a 100 million dollar contract. 2018 is the year to be picking #1 or #2 to pick Darnold or Rosen.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on Sep 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM ]

Vs Rams
@ Cardinals
@ Colts
@ Rrdskins

Was listening to Kevin Lynch on KNBR a bit a go and he had rewatched the game and said that the niners did not play as bad as everyone says they did. The 1st half the O and D played well. It was the dropped pass (Goodwin!!), a missed coverage assignment by Taart which lead to a CAR TD, and the penalties. On the Hoyer fumble, had he had just 2 seconds more Celek (I think it was) was wide open in the flat for a big gain. The 2 FG's in the 1st half by CAR were a result of the missed 4th downs by the niners which gave them a short field. The niners could have/should have been able to put up more points than 3. We probably wouldn't have won the game but we would have given them more of a fight. He reiterated that this is a young team and they are going to have their mistakes but overall based on the tape they played well. In the 2nd half shanny made the mistake by not running Hyde more often (2 carries in the 2nd half?).

These are all learning mistakes from a 1st time HC in Shanny to the players. This was week 1 against a SB contender who was not on their "A" game whom we should have played tougher. I think we play alot better after SEA because it gives the niners to tough teams to measure themselves against.

We need to start looking at the positives and I admit at times I wasn't.

nah, we starting off 0-4 lol
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I don't think it was an epic fail for everyone. I do think the most fail was at OL. That's gotta get better fast. If it wasn't missed blocks it was holding or a false start. I really HATED the OL play yesterday and was so pissed with Kilgore it was crazy. The OL showed their collective asses yesterday and it wasn't pretty for anyone.

Exactly this.

Those penalties add up and if our offense is already struggling or suffering the consequences of non-calls, missed catches for scoring opportunities, or even playing against a solid DL, we're giving ourselves no shot to win.

There's something to be said about limiting mistakes and how much of a difference that makes in a game. Sure you can't prevent all sacks and INT's, nobody's perfect, but you gotta control what you can control. And for the OL, year after year, to make these same mistakes is annoying.

Hopefully we see some more discipline next time.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I'm went into this season looking for the young guys to get reps and learn the offensive a defensive systems. I'm going to get blasted for this but this franchise is going nowhere until we get a franchise QB. I don't care if this team goes 0-16 this season if it means we get our QB. Going 4 and 12 or 5-11 does nothing for this franchise at the QB position. I don't think it would be a good idea to give a 30 year old Kirk Cousins 5 years and a 100 million dollar contract. 2018 is the year to be picking #1 or #2 to pick Darnold or Rosen.

agreed. 1st round should be QB. 2nd round should be guard.

We'll be picking high anyway. I might as well get started on college tape early.
Share 49ersWebzone