There are 203 users in the forums

Who are the "core" players going forward?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's not act surprised by the results yesterday. This team was HUD housing this off season. It was a tear down job that was going to take some time. This year is all about watching individual player development, unit cohesion, and scheme understanding. With that in mind, who are the individuals on this team who you consider "core" players moving forward? The guys who will be here in 3-4 years when we are (HOPEFULLY!) legitimately competitive. Here is my list:

Defense:
  • NaVorro Bowman
  • Reuben Foster
  • DeForest Buckner
  • Solomon Thomas
  • Rashard Robinson
Bubble:
  • Aaron Lynch (If he screws his head on and becomes more consistent)
  • Jimmie Ward (Get/Stay healthy)
  • Arik Armstead (If he finds a place in the DL rotation)

Offense:
  • George Kittle
  • Kyle Juszczyk
Bubble:
  • Trent Brown (If Shanahan decides he can fit the system)
  • Carlos Hyde (If he figures out the system and decides to resign)
  • Marquise Goodwin (If his potential is realized and the team locks him down)
  • Trent Taylor (I think something special is coming)

Thoughts?
K, P, LS

/thread
what about Reid? he fits Saleh's scheme perfectly.
Bowman is gone. He looks done.

Foster, Reid, Hyde, Taylor, Kittle, Buckner are core players, thats it. Robinson had a good game on Benjamiin so Ill include him on that list for now too, but it might change.

Entire OL needs to be revamped like I said last offseason. Trent Brown is a stud but hes not going to have the lateral movement for outside zone. The coaches know this already, but the homers will deny it. Staley is obviously old.

Thomas needs to improve a lot more and quickly before he's considered another soft Stanford bust like Garnett. Didn't see him controlling the running lane or cause any disruption for a 3rd overall pick.

Jury is out on Juice, he sucked ass too and missed a few blocks. Dropped passes. Might be an overpaid FA bust.
I thought Earl Mitchell played really well yesterday.
Offense:
Staley (still very dependable)
Hyde (if he wants to stay)
Trent Taylor
Garcon (for the next 2-3 years)
Aldrick (situational deep threat)
Breida - excellent CoP rb
Kittle

Defense:

Reid - good fit
Ward - assuming he can stay healthy - can play center field but also has excellent man coverage skills
Thomas
Buckner
AA
Foster
Robinson
Armstead constantly reminds me of the nightmarish 2015 season with Tomsula. get rid of him pl0x
Some of the players are predictable by projecting their current level of production, like Buckner or Bowman. Most of what we would consider core guys require projections based on potential, scheme fit, or early reports. I think Reid is worth considering, especially given his position change. Ultimately, this is what the season is about. Tracking guys who we think will be there in a few years.
Foster Kittle Taylor that's about it
Share 49ersWebzone