LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

What's up with the fourth down calls?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's up with the fourth down calls?

Might as well find out early on if the OL can do it or not. Between Fusco whiffs and beagle whiffs, it was interesting to see if the more important fourth and 3 and fourth and 1 got the OL's attention and they tried harder, therefore. Well, with beadles and fusco, and to some extent kilgore (had a whiff...maybe two)...going for it on 4th down didn't make any difference to the OL, OG to OG. They were just guys filling slots. Now we probably don't try that again until we have Laken and Magnus starting at both OGs. Theus also can play OG, IIRC. I would love to see going for it on 4th and short between their 40- 50 yrd line in the future, but not wiht beadles or fusco in there. When Magnus and Laken are in, sure, go for it. Once the OL is set, then in that circumstance I would be in favor.

But yesterday, with Marquis dropping an easy TD,right in his arms/mitts, and au Jus dropping one that hit him between both 4s, it wasn't a good day to try going for it. Still, i liked it because it showed some guts. But when the entire team takes a dump, and a smelly one at that, it was probably bad time to go for it on 4th down. Jumping offsides, lining up offsides, fumble fingers wtih the WRs, errant passes by Hoyer, lousy OG to OG blocking , whiff blocks....bad play calls...man we had it all.

However, now kyle knows this crew, OG to OG cannot get up for a 4th and short, so no need trying it again. They just aren't good enough to pull it off. For that it was jsut another play and the importance of it mattered not. Try it again when kyle promotes temporarily Magnus and Laken. Be sure to give Theus a shot at OG also. Magnus can always move over to C.

Oh, it also showed our HC can lose his cool. He DID call T.O on that one play and we should not have gotten a penalty. He got hot and lost it for a few moments and that added to the failed 4th down tries. Kyle's decision making got interrupted by a bad call. He has to get that under control. I understand it though, as he fully expected this team to play better. It was like virtually everyone except Reuben was just mailing it in. And that OG to OG line play was inecusable. They didn't show up mentally or physically.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 11, 2017 at 9:20 AM ]
Loved the decisions to go for it, but hated the execution.

The one conversion they quickly got to the line and ran the play. Decisive.

The other attempts came off timeouts. Seemed like there was indecision and the play-calling was questionable.
He's so much like his daddy, Mike was the same way in Denver, and we all remember Mike was our OC during the famous 'no punt' game lol.
this game was a glorified scrimmage. we knew we werent winning so we might as well try some stuff out. i have no problems with it. im sure he wouldve punted if we had any chance at winning the game
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm guessing Kyle was just trying to send the message that, "I trust you. I believe in you." to the offense.

It also sends the same message to the defense.

Unfortunately he did it against one of the best front 7's in football WITH one of the worst interior lines in football.

And the results were predictable.

My guess is Kyle won't repeat it against the Seahawks or Rams but maybe so against a lesser opponent.

Yea good take. I agree with your perspective.
Sorry, I have no patience for repeating the same mistakes from preseason, after being called out by local media to fix penalties.

That's called bad coaching.
Originally posted by beatherhard:
Sorry, I have no patience for repeating the same mistakes from preseason, after being called out by local media to fix penalties.

That's called bad coaching.
thats actually bad reffing
Originally posted by captveg:
That's about the total opposite of how I saw the decision. I thought it was a vet coach type move (Belichek does it often), and without a bit of panic or immaturity. Punting is far too often a crutch for head coaches that are more concerned with not being second guessed than in trying to win the game with an offensive system they know is superior in concept. Why anyone wants Shanahan to play the ultra-conservative style is beyond me. That may get you short term victories but it gives you little value over the long term because it reduces your overall shots at getting points, which then puts pressure to have a high % of success on far fewer chances.

Funny you mention belichek. Several times the decision did not work out and it contributed to losing the game, once in playoffs at least.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Love it. 100%.

cosigned.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Kyle has zero sense on when to go for or it or when to run the ball when you are up 28-3 in the super bowl.

Originally posted by susweel:
Kyle has zero sense on when to go for or it or when to run the ball when you are up 28-3 in the super bowl.

Maybe he will learn?
Originally posted by susweel:

it was the right decision, the play calling was stupid as f**k. SMH.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
it was the right decision, the play calling was stupid as f**k. SMH.

play-calling was dictated by the fact both our guards were getting eaten alive on the inside. everything had to be dink and dunk underneath s**t.
At the time I liked the decision, but in hindsight those decisions to go for it swung the momentum the panthers way, and may have killed any hope for winning the game for the Niners.
Share 49ersWebzone