There are 261 users in the forums

What's up with the fourth down calls?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's up with the fourth down calls?

Ok, I think kyle needs to relax and accept that will be a multi year process. Don't have to prove anything game one. For me, I hope he thinks about the downside in the future. Did these work in practice? I like the confidence but the priority should be given to staying competitive. It's a win to stay in the game to the last possession. This roster needs that.
I like it. A lot. IMO a team should always go for it on 4th between the 40s if its a 2-yard or less conversion. That should be the standard set for the players and the team M.O.

As for the specific playcalls, that's gonna be a trial by error with this team. You never know if what works in practice will work in a live game, and I think it's safe to say that even though Shanahan knows his OGs are a weakness I think he expected them to compete at a higher level than they did to at least some degree. So, when the situation arises again in a future game you keep the strategy but choose a different play from the playbook.

The priority should be to be competitive in the long term and not buckle to short term expectations. So, you run the team as you will in Year 3 even though the talent and execution are currently lacking. What that does is set a standard to strive for, so players either improve or get replaced. I mean, if I'm an interior offensive lineman in free agency and I know that the SF HC is looking for players to come in and perform at such a level that they will always go for it on 4th and short between the 40s that would be very appealing to me. "I'm a badass, and I can play within that aggressive style" would be my thinking if I was such a player.

Same goes for future QBs, WRs, and RBs that will be on this roster down the line.

Keep the approach and high expectations from the players. Don't dumb it down for them, as doing so only covers the weaknesses of players that will show they need replacing and bears little fruit for the longterm system and standards install.
Originally posted by captveg:
I like it. A lot. IMO a team should always go for it on 4th between the 40s if its a 2-yard or less conversion. That should be the standard set for the players and the team M.O.

As for the specific playcalls, that's gonna be a trial by error with this team. You never know if what works in practice will work in a live game, and I think it's safe to say that even though Shanahan knows his OGs are a weakness I think he expected them to compete at a higher level than they did to at least some degree. So, when the situation arises again in a future game you keep the strategy but choose a different play from the playbook.

The priority should be to be competitive in the long term and not buckle to short term expectations. So, you run the team as you will in Year 3 even though the talent and execution are currently lacking. What that does is set a standard to strive for, so players either improve or get replaced. I mean, if I'm an interior offensive lineman in free agency and I know that the SF HC is looking for players to come in and perform at such a level that they will always go for it on 4th and short between the 40s that would be very appealing to me. "I'm a badass, and I can play within that aggressive style" would be my thinking if I was such a player.

Same goes for future QBs, WRs, and RBs that will be on this roster down the line.

Keep the approach and high expectations from the players. Don't dumb it down for them, as doing so only covers the weaknesses of players that will show they need replacing and bears little fruit for the longterm system and standards install.

Interesting. I'm not sure I agree with it fully but I see the point of what you are saying. My thought is, that we are playing professional opponents who have a very high degree of competitiveness and ability, so it's not just about expectations for our roster but respecting opponents as well, knowing what they are capable of. Why give tham a game changing opportunity? Let them earn their success against our d. That's kind of how i think about it.
The defense played very well yesterday and Shanahan showed his confidence in them with every 4th down try. Also...I think he wanted to test the fortitude of his offensive line and offense as a whole to deliver when they need to.

I'm with it. I love the aggression.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Interesting. I'm not sure I agree with it fully but I see the point of what you are saying. My thought is, that we are playing professional opponents who have a very high degree of competitiveness and ability, so it's not just about expectations for our roster but respecting opponents as well, knowing what they are capable of. Why give tham a game changing opportunity? Let them earn their success against our d. That's kind of how i think about it.

Can't win a game without scoring.
Shanahan was just being a baby and pissed off that his offense wasn't executing. So he went for it on 4th to try and prove a point.

There's really nothing else to it. And I don't expect it to be a key strategy moving forward
high-variance strategy.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Shanahan was just being a baby and pissed off that his offense wasn't executing. So he went for it on 4th to try and prove a point.

That's about the total opposite of how I saw the decision. I thought it was a vet coach type move (Belichek does it often), and without a bit of panic or immaturity. Punting is far too often a crutch for head coaches that are more concerned with not being second guessed than in trying to win the game with an offensive system they know is superior in concept. Why anyone wants Shanahan to play the ultra-conservative style is beyond me. That may get you short term victories but it gives you little value over the long term because it reduces your overall shots at getting points, which then puts pressure to have a high % of success on far fewer chances.
if we converted one of those 4th down attempts , it could have installed some confidence in the entire offensive unit, and maybe sparked some momentum , but sadly it just wasn't in the cards for us yesterday

Gotta love the aggressiveness
Maybe he knew we weren't winning this game, so he was setting up Seattle to jump offsides on any 4th down calls next week.
I personally loved it. It is risk taking but also punting there is no learning going on for the team. The team needs to learn how to gain 10 yards in 4 downs.

Shannahan and Lynch are as good as combo as we will get I have full faith in them.
I'm guessing Kyle was just trying to send the message that, "I trust you. I believe in you." to the offense.

It also sends the same message to the defense.

Unfortunately he did it against one of the best front 7's in football WITH one of the worst interior lines in football.

And the results were predictable.

My guess is Kyle won't repeat it against the Seahawks or Rams but maybe so against a lesser opponent.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2017 at 9:06 AM ]
Love it. 100%.
Share 49ersWebzone