There are 203 users in the forums

All these great rookie RB's , and we couldn't get one

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yup we have a very unreliable RB stable.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 9, 2017 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Well, firstly we got Breida and Williams. Secondly we already have a starting rb. And thirdly, iirc we had one or two other priorities.

By the way, dont you think it is a little early to be anointing the other players as "great"?

Well put English!!
I agree it's too early to call any of these guys great. But they sure are looking the part. I haven't seen any of breida in actual game performance. I understand he beat out Williams and Hightower but that might not be saying much.

I just feel like 2014 with all those great WRs and we couldn't land one. Here we go again. This draft class could be one of the ages. And we took a guy who head might never be on straight.

Like I originally said I'm not complaining too much I think we upset the Panthers tomorrow. But rookie RBs are gonna go off this year
Originally posted by FromDaBay2La:
I agree it's too early to call any of these guys great. But they sure are looking the part. I haven't seen any of breida in actual game performance. I understand he beat out Williams and Hightower but that might not be saying much.

I just feel like 2014 with all those great WRs and we couldn't land one. Here we go again. This draft class could be one of the ages. And we took a guy who head might never be on straight.

Like I originally said I'm not complaining too much I think we upset the Panthers tomorrow. But rookie RBs are gonna go off this year

How exactly are they looking the part outside of Hunt? He's the only rookie RB to see playing time in a legit NFL game and he played against a New England defense who was atrocious.

Fournette who was supposed to fix all things wrong with our injury prone Carlos Hyde is nursing an injury after declaring this NFL thing is pretty easy...after playing against that same Pats defense(actually their backups) and averaging less than 3 yards per carry...

I'm not going to shed any tears on missing out on guys like Cook, McCaffrey, Mixon or Fournette because our needs were bigger in the early rounds. Hunt would've been a nice pick but I'm ok with us taking Witherspoon, the need was far greater at CB and while he may not be a stud right away I think he has the ability to be a very good corner so I'm fine with it.

Joe Williams not getting it is disappointing because I think he's got the talent but since he's still on the team we can't write him off until he's actually officially no longer a 49er. Hopefully Breida makes everyone regret passing on him.
Originally posted by genus49:
How exactly are they looking the part outside of Hunt? He's the only rookie RB to see playing time in a legit NFL game and he played against a New England defense who was atrocious.

Fournette who was supposed to fix all things wrong with our injury prone Carlos Hyde is nursing an injury after declaring this NFL thing is pretty easy...after playing against that same Pats defense(actually their backups) and averaging less than 3 yards per carry...

I'm not going to shed any tears on missing out on guys like Cook, McCaffrey, Mixon or Fournette because our needs were bigger in the early rounds. Hunt would've been a nice pick but I'm ok with us taking Witherspoon, the need was far greater at CB and while he may not be a stud right away I think he has the ability to be a very good corner so I'm fine with it.

Joe Williams not getting it is disappointing because I think he's got the talent but since he's still on the team we can't write him off until he's actually officially no longer a 49er. Hopefully Breida makes everyone regret passing on him.
I think you make some great points here, some 90% of the media and 90% of fans are missing.

1. Not one of these RB's have shown us a thing yet. Not one single things. They couldn't have, because we haven't even played a game yet.
2. We actually have a proven RB in Carlos Hyde, who has lost weight and has the possibility for putting up some great production under this new system. Don't you all think if Carlos Hyde wasn't a fit Shanahan would've replaced him, as RB's are an integral part of his offense? Have you guys seen Carlos Hyde's statement on how he will split time with Breida and how it is a seemingly beneficial system for the both of him? Part 2b of this is; Matt Breida is a great scatback fit to this scheme and imho that is all Mcaffrey will ever be is a glorified Danny Woodhead/scatback type who will thrive in 3rd down type situations.
4. The picks that we made bolstering our defense will pay dividends off the bat. Adding Solomon Thomas to a front 7 that already has 2 All Pro recipients, a great addition in Earl Mitchell, a rookie linebacker that looks like the next Willis or Bowman, a healthy Tank Carradine, 2 other 1st round draft picks in Buckner and Armstead, Eric Reid looking like Kam Chancellor so far. I mean the list just goes on and on
Don't worry kiddo, there will be 30+ rookie rbs next year, and the year after, and so on.

I personally can't think of a more overrated-volatile position.
Originally posted by memelas:
I think you make some great points here, some 90% of the media and 90% of fans are missing.

1. Not one of these RB's have shown us a thing yet. Not one single things. They couldn't have, because we haven't even played a game yet.
2. We actually have a proven RB in Carlos Hyde, who has lost weight and has the possibility for putting up some great production under this new system. Don't you all think if Carlos Hyde wasn't a fit Shanahan would've replaced him, as RB's are an integral part of his offense? Have you guys seen Carlos Hyde's statement on how he will split time with Breida and how it is a seemingly beneficial system for the both of him? Part 2b of this is; Matt Breida is a great scatback fit to this scheme and imho that is all Mcaffrey will ever be is a glorified Danny Woodhead/scatback type who will thrive in 3rd down type situations.
4. The picks that we made bolstering our defense will pay dividends off the bat. Adding Solomon Thomas to a front 7 that already has 2 All Pro recipients, a great addition in Earl Mitchell, a rookie linebacker that looks like the next Willis or Bowman, a healthy Tank Carradine, 2 other 1st round draft picks in Buckner and Armstead, Eric Reid looking like Kam Chancellor so far. I mean the list just goes on and on

I think the guy who had 240 yards total in his first NFL game showed a little bit.
RBs and WRs should be sought after once we fix the trenches and secondary. Late round picks UDFAs and FA pickups will do for now
There is a widely respected school of thought that you use your high draft picks on the Big, fast, talented men, because there just aren't that many of them. We did that.

There are a lot of players available with the physique necessary to fill the skill positions. You just need to be able to identify the talent/athleticism/football IQ combination to be successful. We can do that.

Kyle and Mike especially have a long, Repeated history of finding great running backs in later rounds. This thread is WAY too early. Give our guys a chance before you start complaining.

Brieda just might help us beat the Panthers with his cutback vision and receiving and rac ability.

Go Niners.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I think the RB's are just fine. Run blocking is where the issue is

Add Tarik cohen to the list
  • evil
  • Veteran
Fans should temper expectations of ShanaLynch spending a 1st round pick on a RB.
Originally posted by susweel:
The curse of letting Frank Gore go.

Hyde 9 carries 45 yards. Gore 10 carries 42 yards. Gore still hanging with the best the 49ers have to offer at RB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think the guy who had 240 yards total in his first NFL game showed a little bit.

Fournette, Hunt and Cohen all looked very good.

Mixon didnt get a fair shake from what i saw, but should take over duties there soon enough so we can see what he has as well. It was a really strong class of RB's. See what cook can do tonight.

I drafted hunt in pretty much every one of my fantasy leagues because he was going wayyyy too late in drafts.
I got Hunt in 2 of my 3 leagues. In the other some b*****d took him towards the end of the 2nd
Share 49ersWebzone