LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

All these great rookie RB's , and we couldn't get one

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm not on a downer. I'm excited for the season and believe we will upset the Panthers tomorrow. I feel we whiffed on picking up a solid complement or replacement for Hyde. Unless Breida does his thing, of course.

Seeing Hunt the other night, Kamara who the Saints selected with that pick we traded them, Fournette McCafrrey, Cook, Mack, and our selection placed on IR when he wasn't even injured lol . I hope he pans out one day, but I hope even more Hyde balls out becomes elite and we re-sign him. Guapo time baby
Yeah, they certainly addressed it but unfortunately for Williams, he wasn't ready yet and Breida just flat out beat him and is a compete back right now. It's a moot point, like you noted, if Hyde+Breida play well and compliment each other.

Stay tuned...
Well, firstly we got Breida and Williams. Secondly we already have a starting rb. And thirdly, iirc we had one or two other priorities.

By the way, dont you think it is a little early to be anointing the other players as "great"?
[ Edited by English on Sep 9, 2017 at 8:23 AM ]
If Breida works out then we did really well. It's tough from a draft standpoint to figure out what direction to go in so using a high pick could be wasteful. If Hyde is healthy he's a #1 back. Lynch decided to go for more of a change of pace back and Breida seems to fit that bill. Williams is npw sort of a wild card. Depends on his attitude. If everything goes well we could end up with a Hyde, Breida, Williams backfield next season that could be a diverse group that is potent.
Omg are you serious right now? We've seen one friggin game. Most of us liked Hunt a lot but let's wait at least a little bit to b***h about not getting a RB. The fact that you added "unless Breida does his thing of course" means you shouldn't have made this thread.

We have a promising UDFA in Breida and who knows what happens with Joe Williams moving forward. Give them a chance to play before saying we missed out on one.

Not to mention RBs are a dime a dozen these days. Next years class may be even better than this class so relax!
In before the lock 🔒😈
This thread is rediculous.
Still too early to tell ultimately and Williams deserves to show what he can do. I don't think his issues are physical, he clearly has a lot of talent but its the stuff between the ears that I think is a problem for him. Hopefully he gets that worked out because he has the potential, just needs to figure things out and get serious about this being his job now.

And yes I am pretty damn despondent about Hunt. I thought he was a perfect scheme fit for what Shanahan likes to do and a very complete RB overall. Its going to suck if he continues to perform at a high level for KC but nothing about that can be changed now.

If Williams isn't the guy then they will definitely have to look to address the position somewhat early next year. The upside is that there will always be plenty of quality backs that fit what Shanahan likes to do, so no worries. I think they are fine with Hyde and Breida for this season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 9, 2017 at 9:35 AM ]
K
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Terrell Davis was a 6th Rd pick or something. You never know lol.

Hunt was a guy I wanted...but, compare KC's roster with ours and it's not hard to see how/why he ended up a Chief. Their roster and the rosters of most of the teams who got "marquee" RB's are/were significantly better than ours. Lynch did a great job, IMHO, before, during & after the draft. Once Williams gets his head right, he should be a dandy. Breida has the look of a complete RB already...I foresee Hyde doing very well in Shanahan's offense and Mostert showed he has multiple skills. So, I'd say there's no reason to lament not getting Hunt, McCaffrey, et al. BTW, kind of under the radar was the signing of Jeremy McNichols to our PS. His game would seem to be perfect for Coach's offense. All in all, I think our backfield's in fine shape.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The curse of letting Frank Gore go.
Let's wait for the season to at least begin before determining who is great and who isn't.
Too many needs to address in one draft but they got a couple of guys who will play in year one and a few developmental guys who will be key players in year two and beyond. Plus a lot of cap space to add key pieces next year.
Share 49ersWebzone