There are 222 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Offense: I loved the design on a few plays. There was one play where I have no idea how Shanny knew what he did about the defense - it was uncanny. He had a variation of a 'stick' concept dialed up and the defense was showing cover 3 zone - which the 'stick' beats, but right before the snap they shifted into a cover 2 zone - which beats a 'stick' concept but shanny had a stick'nod called up for the TE. The play would've gone for a good gain had we had better protection - but it was a Keanu matrix, "whoa" moment, lol. Overall, I thought we were better than the score was and more competitive. It felt like watching a real grown up football game, lol. We didn't get yards by trickery or misdirection only, but by good, sound plays and good variation. We used pre-snap movement to reveal coverages and create mismatches, not "the things that make things tough for the defense" i.e. 800 plays a game.

There was one play where I have no idea how Shanny knew what he did about the defense - it was uncanny. the defense was showing cover 3 zone - which the 'stick' beats

He had a variation of a 'stick' concept dialed up

right before the snap they shifted into a cover 2 zone - which beats a 'stick'.

but shanny had a stick'nod called up for the TE.

The play would've gone for a good gain had we had better protection
  • thl408
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I'd like to have some analysis on wtf Kyle was thinking on that long developing dive to Juice coming across the formation on 4th and short. Quite possibly one of the worst playcalls I've ever seen.

That WAS a head-scratcher!
slow mo
Kawaan Short. Too slick for Fusco, too quick for Brown.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I remember seeing goodwin hop before some catches. On that bomb drop he does it too. That is a bad habit.

Yea that's why that ball went right through his arms. Got a little Vernon in him.
Originally posted by thl408:
I've seen QBs anticipate a throw like this. Just toss it to the open area which Taylor had a lot of. Not an easy play, but I think it's one that could have been made. As long as Hoyer leads Taylor enough. It's 4th down, gotta give yourself a chance. Just don't throw it behind Taylor.

IIRC Taylor didn't get a reception until later in the game. Not sure if that's partly due to Hoyer being unfamiliar with Taylor in live action. I figured Taylor would've gotten more targets.

On the 4th down screen to Hyde (with Buckner blocking) - was that a bad lead by Hoyer or misread by Hyde? Kuechly did seem to sniff it out and had a good angle.
  • thl408
Here's the longest reception of the game for the 49ers. This play shows the trust between Hoyer and Garcon.
Last drive of 1st half. 2nd & 10
CAR shows a 2 deep shell but will rotate to Cover 1 blitz.

3 step timing, throw before Garcon completes his break on a simple 5 yard Curl.

+22
  • thl408
Originally posted by zonkers:
IIRC Taylor didn't get a reception until later in the game. Not sure if that's partly due to Hoyer being unfamiliar with Taylor in live action. I figured Taylor would've gotten more targets.

On the 4th down screen to Hyde (with Buckner blocking) - was that a bad lead by Hoyer or misread by Hyde? Kuechly did seem to sniff it out and had a good angle.
Hoyer could have made it easier to catch, but I don't think it mattered. Kuechly did sniff it out. If Hyde tries to take it wide, Kuechly is all over it. Kuechly is full speed while Hyde is starting from a stand still after making the catch and would be moving lateral towards sidelines, not downhill into endzone.

Hoyer mid windup, Kuechly breaking on the throw.

Hyde catching at a stand still while Kuechly is full speed.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
kittle should've blocked luke.
  • thl408
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
kittle should've blocked luke.

Whoa I didn't notice that. That would help.
Rooks gon rook
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I'd like to have some analysis on wtf Kyle was thinking on that long developing dive to Juice coming across the formation on 4th and short. Quite possibly one of the worst playcalls I've ever seen.

That WAS a head-scratcher!
slow mo
Kawaan Short. Too slick for Fusco, too quick for Brown.

Brown is at fault here taking a bad up field angle instead of securing the 1st level. Sure, no one is there on the pre snap but inside zone is always a flat horizontal step 1st to prevent this.

Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'll shed a tear when this formation comes back.

Seems like spilt will only be used shotgun nowadays. I love me some horizontal stacks formations though. Give split, near and far (or I guess in Walsh terms Red, Brown and Blue)

harbaugh ran a variation of this during 2 pt conversions with crabtree motioning out from the left hb position
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'll shed a tear when this formation comes back.

Seems like spilt will only be used shotgun nowadays. I love me some horizontal stacks formations though. Give split, near and far (or I guess in Walsh terms Red, Brown and Blue)

harbaugh ran a variation of this during 2 pt conversions with crabtree motioning out from the left hb position

Harbs actually ran the split forms quite a bit compared to the rest of the league. I still remember when they opened the thanksgiving game vs Baltimore with a FB Slide from the split form.
This is from the 49ers' first drive. So Kyle likes to use motion to give his QB some prensnap intel on the coverage. Is it as easy as just motioning a guy across the formation, and just like that, the QB knows man or zone? Seems too easy. Defenses have tricks too.

Trent Taylor will motion and a defender will follow him across the formation. That signals man coverage.

Levels to the right + Switch Verticals (orange + green) to the left vs Man coverage?

CAR backs up to reveal Cover 2 Zone, not man coverage.

Levels concept will bust Cover 2 Zone all day. Red route and yellow route work to vertically stretch the hook/curl defender (red).

Originally posted by Luckycharms:
First off thank you THL and JD as always, the best thread on the internet. Anyhow, I was reading one of the beat writers twitter (forget which one) and he said it looked like Goodwin was open deep quite a few times but Hoyer didn't look his way/didn't have time to throw. Did you see the same thing? I would love to see that deep connection a few times a game or atleast some more attempts.
Lucky, check this play here as Goodwin (#11) sees the seam down the middle of the field and hits it. I can't blame Hoyer for seeing Cover2, and immediately looking to Levels. Had Hoyer stayed looking to his left, maybe he sees Goodwin's route develop. Sometimes a QB just has to make the safer, quicker play.

For sure looks like he could of had Goodwin deep, but like you said I can't blame him for taking the safer option. Thanks for taking a look!

Hoyer could have made it easier to catch, but I don't think it mattered. Kuechly did sniff it out. If Hyde tries to take it wide, Kuechly is all over it. Kuechly is full speed while Hyde is starting from a stand still after making the catch and would be moving lateral towards sidelines, not downhill into endzone.

Even if Kittle makes the block on Kuechly, I'm still not so sure it's six. Garcon ends up blocking the lane a bit to the end zone when he seals his block. If Hyde hesitates and tries to break back inside or outside there are two Carolina players closing.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Sep 14, 2017 at 4:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Even if Kittle makes the block on Kuechly, I'm still not so sure it's six. Garcon ends up blocking the lane a bit to the end zone when he seals his block. If Hyde hesitates and tries to break back inside or outside there are two Carolina players closing.

Carolina played this one very well. The CB gets inside leverage on Garcon and Kuechly runs across Hyde to cutoff the outside. Only option I see at all would have been Hyde coming back towards Hoyer and trying to take the ball all the way back to the other side.
[ Edited by walker807 on Sep 14, 2017 at 4:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone