LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:

Lucky, check this play here as Goodwin (#11) sees the seam down the middle of the field and hits it. I can't blame Hoyer for seeing Cover2, and immediately looking to Levels. Had Hoyer stayed looking to his left, maybe he sees Goodwin's route develop. Sometimes a QB just has to make the safer, quicker play.

Looks like it was lucky Hoyer went with the safer quicker play her otherwise IT could have been the first strip sack of the day.

Need to get better protection so we can hit Goodwin a few times (if he can catch)... dam.

Gotta love the concept wrapping here....red and orange is the Pin/deep post/crosser Shanny special.
  • thl408
This is the very next play from the Garcon catch (Levels) and the play that would foreshadow the ultra aggressive playcalling that was to come. It's 3rd and 2. F the first down marker, let's go for it all. Hyde motions from the backfield to a plus split and takes Keuchly with him. This is no doubt man coverage. A LB lined up that wide has to mean man coverage.

I don't know of a name for the route concept to Hoyer's right (Curl-Fade-Curl), but I've seen it often over the years. It will work versus man and zone coverages. Versus man, the orange Curl route keeps the sideline clear for the yellow Fade route to work.
Normally, a WR running a Fade up the sideline has to earn as much room along the sideline as possible, giving the QB a margin for error when trying to hit the WR's outside shoulder. The CB defending the Fade tries to squeeze the WR against the sideline to reduce the room that the QB has to work with. By running the Fade from the slot, there is more room away from the sideline.

Hyde pulls up on the Curl, and now Goodwin has room to work. 5 step timing, throw it before Goodwin is open. Hoyer already mid windup.

Right on the #11.

I forgot what I was reading or listening to, but someone said it was a great route concept by Kyle to get Goodwin the ball. Not really. Here's the same route concept from Harbaugh's playbook, busting man coverage. I don't have an example of it versus zone (two Curls provide a horizontal stretch), but I'm sure we'll see this route concept again at some point.
Some mo' Bow.
Counter vs Over front

It's a Counter play so the RB's first action is to step backside in an effort to cause misdirection. Ray Ray steps to right, then his left, then eventually his right when he finally diagnoses. Bow takes zero false steps and steps to his right. #90 is Mitchell and he'll be instrumental on this play. He's hidden behind the goalpost.

Bow engages the lead blocker at the line of scrimmage. Meeting him in the hole. This is not possible unless Bow has the play read.

Mitchell sheds the C and makes the play. Run stuffed.

Mitchell and buckner's ability to shed a blocker and make a play is the difference between last year and this run defense. Having bow and not wilhoitte or skov as our MLB doesn't hurt either.
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Mitchell and buckner's ability to shed a blocker and make a play is the difference between last year and this run defense. Having bow and not wilhoitte or skov as our MLB doesn't hurt either.

And Foster was looking real good too before he went out... Hopefully he comes back in a few weeks so we can enjoy some decent run-d this year and surprise people.
  • thl408
Originally posted by matguy87:
Originally posted by PacTiger:

And Foster was looking real good too before he went out... Hopefully he comes back in a few weeks so we can enjoy some decent run-d this year and surprise people.
Last season, watching Purcell get washed out and the ILBs being so hesitant to fill due to complexity of scheme and limited talent was frustrating. The ILBs last season would "meet" the OL in the hole like 2-3 yards past the line of scrimmage. We are seeing the difference that talent and simplified gap assignments is making.
isn't that "dagger"? (hook/go/hook)
  • thl408
This play is on the 2nd drive of the game. Not much in terms of route concepts, just two 15 yard Curls with max protection.
1st & 10
vs Quarters

Garcon is not considered fast, but he makes it work with precision route running. On this play, when he sees the CB start to bail, he attacks the CB's leverage by making the CB think that he wants to go up the sideline. In this frame, Garcon angles towards the sideline. This makes the CB lose sight of Garcon so the CB starts to go full speed in order to not get burned up the sideline.

That's when Garcon puts on the brakes, and when he does, he dips and gets low. Easier to stop when center of gravity is low to the ground.

The CB be like, "oh crap I gotta go!...Where he go?". When watching this live I didn't know how Garcon had created so much separation. Going to be fun watching this guy run some good routes.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Dagger is Deep In/Fly/drag or drive coming towards the deep in/fly routes.

• thl408
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Dagger has a Go (red), Dig (orange), and a Drag (yellow).

• thl408
This is the first 4th down play of the game. It was 7-0 and the defense had been playing well. On one hand you can say that's why Kyle went for it, the defense was playing well. On the other hand, the defense playing well is a reason to punt and put CAR inside their own 10.

This looks like a modified version of Kyle's Follow concept where a drag route (yellow) clears out the middle for the angle route (red) to follow behind it. The red route usually comes from the backfield instead of the slot.
vs Cover 1 Robber

When Taylor (81) starts his drag, the CB on Taylor will pass Taylor off to Kuechly, then replace Kuechly as robber. Kuechly (59) is looking to wall off any shallow crossing routes (Taylor).

Taylor sees it and steps towards the LoS in order to avoid contact with Kuechly.

Kuechly reaching for air.

Hoyer looks to Taylor then moves to Kittles (85), but the robber (CB) takes Kittle's route away. The pressure gets home and Hoyer is sacked.

Because Taylor was aware to avoid making contact with Kuechly, he is able to create separation. But Hoyer has moved on with his progression. Perhaps next time, stay with Taylor because he's a mismatch against a LB in the middle of the field, even against one of the best in the league.

Hoyer looks to Taylor then looks to Kittles. Trust the little guy to win against a LB.
^

I think that's still too close to let the ball go.. could've been a fumble by Hoyer.

I don't blame him for this play... Oline just s**t the bed there.

sure after the replay it looks like he could've anticipated Taylor beating a LB, even Luke, and tossed it to his right.. but that's after the fact. Defense was right in his face.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 13, 2017 at 6:40 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Afrikan:
^

I think that's still too close to let the ball go.. could've been a fumble by Hoyer.

sure after the replay it looks like he could've anticipated Taylor beating a LB, even Luke, and tossed it to his right.. but that's after the fact. Defense was right in his face.
I've seen QBs anticipate a throw like this. Just toss it to the open area which Taylor had a lot of. Not an easy play, but I think it's one that could have been made. As long as Hoyer leads Taylor enough. It's 4th down, gotta give yourself a chance. Just don't throw it behind Taylor.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
^

I've seen QBs anticipate a throw like this. Just toss it to the open area which Taylor had a lot of. Not an easy play, but I think it's one that could have been made. As long as Hoyer leads Taylor enough. It's 4th down, gotta give yourself a chance. Just don't throw it behind Taylor.

I hear ya, but I'm looking at when he sees Taylor crossing over the middle to when Davis puts his arm up in the air.. and it seems like a tough decision to expose the ball there.

maybe it's just the endzone cam that gives me this impression.
I remember seeing goodwin hop before some catches. On that bomb drop he does it too. That is a bad habit.
Share 49ersWebzone