LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Can't take my eyes off our top draft pick getting destroyed in the middle 1 on 1

That's a 5x Pro Bowl, 2x First-team All-Pro center. Not some bum.

I was gonna say that.

Here's a clip of ST throwing the RT
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Can't take my eyes off our top draft pick getting destroyed in the middle 1 on 1

That's a 5x Pro Bowl, 2x First-team All-Pro center. Not some bum.

I was gonna say that.

I wouldn't call that destroyed either...

People need to realize that the BEST pass rushers only win 25 - 30% of the time...
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Here's a clip of ST throwing the RT

I remember watching this play. Mitchell got pancaked. Defo fought off three dudes. Awesome play by Solly shedding 75 and taking on the puller.
Defo is a beast. These are the things that go unnoticed. Once he extends, eyes are in the backfield. Very smart player.

[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 13, 2017 at 12:08 PM ]
Defo is a beast. These are the things that go unnoticed. Once he extends, eyes are in the backfield. Very smart player.

He really is...he doesn't get his due imo.
  • thl408
A cast of players all had a hand in containing the CAR run game, which is one of the more diverse in the league. Cam was not used as a runner for injury reasons, and that removes a unique dimension of their run game, but CAR still tests a run defense in a variety of ways. Bow's ability has been in question due to his major injuries. But those questions should be centered around his ability to play the pass. His ability to play the run using his intelligence makes him a force. Now that he is a MLB, he will be taking on OL and FBs more often than when he was a 3-4 ILB.

This play is some time in the 1st quarter. I think first play of CAR's second drive.
Power sweep vs Under front. Harold (Sam LB) is just off the screen to the right.

CAR attempts to pull all three backside OLmen (C, RG, RT). The Center will make it out to the edge. The LT also pulls. What's Bow going to do?

Attack the outside shoulder of the LT to contain the run.

And why not, take out the Center's block too. Notice the LT (#75) is occupied trying to hunt Bow.

+3. Bow doesn't make the tackle, but is instrumental in blowing up this run.
  • thl408
Mo' Bow

some sort of Counter play vs Over front. LG will pull to lead through the weakside C gap (off right tackle). Notice where the ball is spotted (OL feet).

Immediately after the snap, Bow steps towards the play. He's already diagnosed it.

Meets the pulling LG behind the line of scrimmage. So much for the LG leading through the hole. Bow met him in the hole.

RB has to move laterally because Bow stuffed the hole.
I see some TE whoopin' by 57. Nice job uncoiling those hips into Olsen.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 13, 2017 at 12:24 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
So refreshing to have a mod who actually contributes to conversations and doesn't rule with an iron fist. Thanks THL.

Don't bring out your TE unless you want 'em whooped. Tank aka Mr. Elite 6t aka the TE killer.

[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 13, 2017 at 12:36 PM ]
  • thl408
Some mo' Bow.
Counter vs Over front

It's a Counter play so the RB's first action is to step backside in an effort to cause misdirection. Ray Ray steps to right, then his left, then eventually his right when he finally diagnoses. Bow takes zero false steps and steps to his right. #90 is Mitchell and he'll be instrumental on this play. He's hidden behind the goalpost.

Bow engages the lead blocker at the line of scrimmage. Meeting him in the hole. This is not possible unless Bow has the play read.

Mitchell sheds the C and makes the play. Run stuffed.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Who should I be more upset with, Niners interior Oline or Hoyer?

Both, Oline is bad (but I blame Kyle for letting Tiller go and selecting these guards)... but not much was expected.

Hoyer on the other had has asked for this opportunity for awhile now. Kyle gave him the keys, told him he is the man and no competition.

and yet Hoyer turned the ball over while staring right at Kuechly... as well as a few missed wide open TDs.
  • thl408
The very first 49er run play called was an outside zone toss play (no gain), but it was negated because of an illegal formation penalty, so it doesn't show up in the boxscore. The next two run plays were inside zone concepts. It resulted is excellent gains, but they were the last times inside zone was called. There are a couple OL that don't seem like great fits for outside zone from a physical traits standpoint so it remains to be seen if outside zone should be the dominant run concept for this set of 5 OLmen.

Inside zone
+8

+12

Hyde's runs for the game:
1. +8 inside zone
2. +12 inside zone
3. +2 outside zone
4. +18 outside zone
5. +1 outside zone
6. +2 outside zone
7. +1 outside zone
8. +1 power
9. +0 screen pass (lateral)
thl, question: is that first play an inside zone? That looks like an iso to me.
Share 49ersWebzone