There are 236 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In Kap's prime, our O was firing on all cylinders.

I remember that game
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Originally posted by AlexCat49er:
I've never seen so many people talk about how great a team is after they just lost 23-3 at home to a team with a losing record.

We're accused of being pessimistic more so than homers.....

yeah people like NC and 49ATT are the ones who do that accusing lul
hey you take that loser talk somewhere else
Originally posted by Joecool:
All I keep seeing from the film in the past 4 years is us not making plays. I no longer have any hope whatsoever on the little things as to why something didn't work and that we are this close to doing great things if they are fixed.

I'll believe it when they actually do it live during a game.

Fair enough. Though, when watching film in 2012 and 13 the run game we had so many instances of all the "little things" coming together right. It was the passing game that was very hit or miss. When I watched film in 15 and 16 it wasn't as much "little things" anymore as it was glaring things. Sometimes, those things were little but made huge differences. Like a QB not understanding route timing with footwork or not having WR's that could defeat man-coverage. In the Harbaugh years it seemed like it was minor things, like getting the ball out half a second sooner or identifying the key defender correctly when the defense shifts from cover 2 to cover 3 or guys are open and one O-lineman played with poor balance on that very play even though he'd been fine for the previous 10 plays or a RB not slipping on a cut - those sorts of things. It felt like in 12 and 13 it was all these little things here and there that left a TON of meat on the table. Then, in 15 and 16 it felt like we were lucky to have any meat at all.
  • thl408
When the 49ers did blitz, they played man coverage behind it. This was a tendency I was curious to see from Saleh - does he blitz and play zone, or blitz and play man? Don't think I saw any zone blitzes. Just one game. One thing they did was give the Reid the 'Green Dog' assignment.

Slant-Flat vs Cover1 robber
Reid is "green dogging", keying the TE. Man coverage, but if TE stays in to pass block, then rush the passer. Foster is Robber.

TE stays in to pass block so Reid rushes the passer.

Foster reading the 3 step timing (2 for shotgun + 1 step drop).

RB goes out for a route so Reid plays man coverage. Bow is robber.

We can see a green dog from the TV view. It will look like a blitz, and it still allows for the defense to have 2 zone defenders while in man coverage.

49ers 9
Seahawks 12
--------------------------------------------

Hello there all you fabulous fans of the gridiron!!! A big thanks to our fellow film contributor Thl408 for stepping up last week and kicking the season off while I was on the gulf coast enjoying some shrimp, snapper, crab and great southern seafood gumbo! Welcome to the 2nd of a 16(maybe 17,18,19 or 20??? lol) week series attempting to answer the age old questions, how and why did that happen? Each week, we'll take a review of the film and see what we can draw from each week and the season as it progresses. So, buckle up, stay tuned and lets get it on!

Overall - What stood out most to me was the line play, both defensive and offensive. Both did a pretty darn good job throughout the game. On offense, we blocked well in the run game and, for the most part, provided more than adequate pass protection. It was probably the best I'd seen our offensive line play against Seattle in at least 4 years.

We're still missing some key skill positions/need the guys to develop in those positions. We'll know more about this as the season goes on.

The gameplan on offense seemed, in the passing game, to be one where Shanny didn't want to overwhelm Hoyer. It was his first time playing in Seattle and they have one of the best d-lines in the league and our pass pro was suspect against CAR. So, I don't fault him for the game plan. He wanted to make a lot of screens and short passes to start out the game, but Seattle played those pretty well or we had one or two little missteps that kept some plays from popping.

Enough of that, let's move on to more specific stuff.

Offense - QB: I will say this, I think we all know, but the film backed it up. Hoyer sucked. I mean...it was bad. Not just a little, it was baaaaaad. He seemed like something was in his head the whole game. I know he can be prone to that, at times. But, he struggled making reads, was staring reads down and failed to recognize coverages on multiple occasions. In one instance, he even went the wrong direction on a run play. Literally, the entire team knew the play but the QB.....We'll see if games like this are the exception or the rule. In any regard, it was bad....like....real bad.....lol

Hyde: Can we put it to bed yet that he's not a good fit for this system? Or that he's not a very talented RB? The only guy in the league to rush for over 100 yards against seattle twice in the past 4 years.

O-line: After CAR a lot of talk surrounded how bad our interior O-line was. I thought, for the most part, they rose to the challenge this week. My game ball on the offensive line goes to Laken Tomlinson. Dude balled out. What a difference that made. He looked, really, really good. This could be one of those mastermind trades where a team picks up a guy who was serviceable, at best, on another team and turns into a pro-bowl guy. I'll wait to anoint him until after more than one game, but it was night and day to Beadles. I thought the worse player on the O-line Sunday was Kilgore. Though, that's not to say I thought he played horrible. He had a couple glaring mistakes but also made some real nice plays. In any case, I was quite satisfied with our O-line play against, what I believe to be, one of the top 3 front 7's in the league.

WR: We gotta catch the balls when the opportunity is there. However, there were a number of opportunities that weren't realized that had nothing to do with them.

Defense: It could be because Seattle's O-line sucks. But our d-line looked pretty good. The guys that stood out to me were D.J. Jones, Carradine and Aaron Lynch. Buckner was awesome, and I thought Thomas and Armstead were ok. They were very up and down. Make some great plays and made some bonehead ones. Lynch regularly got to Wilson and was clearly in another class than his opponents. Jones played really, really well. He did a ton of great dirty work and was very disruptive.

LB: It bears understanding that we're not just down a starting WILL but also our backup WILL. So, we're on our 3rd string WILL backer and it shows. Ray Ray still plays very undisciplined. He's got a long way to go to realize his athleticism for the position. When he see's it and goes and gets it, he flashes. But, there's too many little mistakes. Bow is a conundrum. There are times when he looks all-world and times when he seems to be just a little off - like his leg really isn't there like it used to be. Could be adjusting to a new position in a new scheme, could be the heel still not quite 100%, could be the toll of 2 major ligament injuries. Don't know yet, we'll see. He made some absolutely outstanding plays still though.

DB: Robinson is a stud. He's flashed on quite a few occasions. His closing speed is remarkable and I think he's gonna be a really, really good player in another year. Remember, rarely ever played zone before this year - even going back to college, so he's got a really steep learning curve but he looks the part and seems like he's getting better each week.

It was nice to have injury ward back out there. He flashed his ability to break on the ball, just needs to stay healthy. So, after he does that for a season I'll know I'm about to win the powerball.

Enough of the talky talky, time to get to some breakdowns. Enjoy and comment below!
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Hello there all you fabulous fans of the gridiron!!! A big thanks to our fellow film contributor Thl408 for stepping up last week and kicking the season off while I was on the gulf coast enjoying some shrimp, snapper, crab and great southern seafood gumbo! Welcome to the 2nd of a 16(maybe 17,18,19 or 20??? lol) week series attempting to answer the age old questions, how and why did that happen? Each week, we'll take a review of the film and see what we can draw from each week and the season as it progresses. So, buckle up, stay tuned and lets get it on!

Overall - What stood out most to me was the line play, both defensive and offensive. Both did a pretty darn good job throughout the game. On offense, we blocked well in the run game and, for the most part, provided more than adequate pass protection. It was probably the best I'd seen our offensive line play against Seattle in at least 4 years.

We're still missing some key skill positions/need the guys to develop in those positions. We'll know more about this as the season goes on.

The gameplan on offense seemed, in the passing game, to be one where Shanny didn't want to overwhelm Hoyer. It was his first time playing in Seattle and they have one of the best d-lines in the league and our pass pro was suspect against CAR. So, I don't fault him for the game plan. He wanted to make a lot of screens and short passes to start out the game, but Seattle played those pretty well or we had one or two little missteps that kept some plays from popping.

Enough of that, let's move on to more specific stuff.

Offense - QB: I will say this, I think we all know, but the film backed it up. Hoyer sucked. I mean...it was bad. Not just a little, it was baaaaaad. He seemed like something was in his head the whole game. I know he can be prone to that, at times. But, he struggled making reads, was staring reads down and failed to recognize coverages on multiple occasions. In one instance, he even went the wrong direction on a run play. Literally, the entire team knew the play but the QB.....We'll see if games like this are the exception or the rule. In any regard, it was bad....like....real bad.....lol

Hyde: Can we put it to bed yet that he's not a good fit for this system? Or that he's not a very talented RB? The only guy in the league to rush for over 100 yards against seattle twice in the past 4 years.

O-line: After CAR a lot of talk surrounded how bad our interior O-line was. I thought, for the most part, they rose to the challenge this week. My game ball on the offensive line goes to Laken Tomlinson. Dude balled out. What a difference that made. He looked, really, really good. This could be one of those mastermind trades where a team picks up a guy who was serviceable, at best, on another team and turns into a pro-bowl guy. I'll wait to anoint him until after more than one game, but it was night and day to Beadles. I thought the worse player on the O-line Sunday was Kilgore. Though, that's not to say I thought he played horrible. He had a couple glaring mistakes but also made some real nice plays. In any case, I was quite satisfied with our O-line play against, what I believe to be, one of the top 3 front 7's in the league.

WR: We gotta catch the balls when the opportunity is there. However, there were a number of opportunities that weren't realized that had nothing to do with them.

Defense: It could be because Seattle's O-line sucks. But our d-line looked pretty good. The guys that stood out to me were D.J. Jones, Carradine and Aaron Lynch. Buckner was awesome, and I thought Thomas and Armstead were ok. They were very up and down. Make some great plays and made some bonehead ones. Lynch regularly got to Wilson and was clearly in another class than his opponents. Jones played really, really well. He did a ton of great dirty work and was very disruptive.

LB: It bears understanding that we're not just down a starting WILL but also our backup WILL. So, we're on our 3rd string WILL backer and it shows. Ray Ray still plays very undisciplined. He's got a long way to go to realize his athleticism for the position. When he see's it and goes and gets it, he flashes. But, there's too many little mistakes. Bow is a conundrum. There are times when he looks all-world and times when he seems to be just a little off - like his leg really isn't there like it used to be. Could be adjusting to a new position in a new scheme, could be the heel still not quite 100%, could be the toll of 2 major ligament injuries. Don't know yet, we'll see. He made some absolutely outstanding plays still though.

DB: Robinson is a stud. He's flashed on quite a few occasions. His closing speed is remarkable and I think he's gonna be a really, really good player in another year. Remember, rarely ever played zone before this year - even going back to college, so he's got a really steep learning curve but he looks the part and seems like he's getting better each week.

It was nice to have injury ward back out there. He flashed his ability to break on the ball, just needs to stay healthy. So, after he does that for a season I'll know I'm about to win the powerball.

Enough of the talky talky, time to get to some breakdowns. Enjoy and comment below!

Welcome back. Good summary, can't wait for the film.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Welcome back. Good summary, can't wait for the film.

working on breakdowns now, trying to get a gif thingy set up, so it'll be a little bit.
  • thl408
Good stuff jonnydel. The film wasn't up last night when I checked and I'm busy at work today. Won't get to it until tonight, but I'm very curious about how RR fared in coverage on the TD, the times Hoyer couldn't pull the trigger on some of the dropbacks where I felt he had time, and what type of plays Kyle drew up to try and beat SEA's pass coverage on the failed 3rd downs.

About Hyde, I'm noticing him have more success on run plays between the tackles (inside zone concepts). On paper it seems to fit the OL skillset (Tomlinson, Fusco, Brown) considering they are more on the 'mauler' side than the 'agile' side. Agree with Kilgore being bad. He gets pushed into the backfield on too many run plays.

One question. Why do you think Saleh is playing his CBs as the field CB (RR) and the boundary CB (DJ)? In both the exhibition games where both CBs played (DJ/RR), DJ was the field CB and RR was the boundary. In both regular season games, Saleh flipped it (DJ is boundary).

So far I've watched one play from the list of plays I am interested in, the 49ers first red zone appearance where Hoyer was sacked on 3rd down. I thought Kyle drew up a nice play to get the crossing route open right into the area that the safety rotated down from (to Hook zone), but Hoyer didn't stay with it and missed a potential TD pass.
Well, still can't get the GIF's to work, maybe I'm too old...haha.

Anyhoo, first breakdown of the day is from the 1st drive of the game. This was crucial because it was a 4th down on a drive where Seattle scored the points to give enough points to win the game. It's 4th and 1

Here, Seattle is gonna run a play we should be all too familiar with. The zone-read. It's an inside zone play with a read-option for the QB. They're going to leave the EMLOS(thomas) unblocked and Wilson will read his play. If he dives on the RB he'll keep it, if he plays Wilson he'll hand it off. On this play, there's confusion between Ray Ray and Thomas on who's gonna take which gap. From my understanding, it should be Thomas that has outside contain and Ray Ray should have the B gap(in the 4-3 the WILL will have the B gap on strong side runs).

Here, you see Wilson reading Thomas. Buckner does a great job of crossing the face of the LG and this will force a double team on him, leaving Bowman free to scrape and plug.

Here, you see how both Thomas and Ray Ray look inside to the RB on the run. No one now has outside contain on Wilson, even though he's already pulled it and ran on this drive.

He breaks loose for a 7 yard gain on 4th and 1.....ouch.
Man was waiting for this thread to start.

Originally posted by thl408:
Good stuff jonnydel. The film wasn't up last night when I checked and I'm busy at work today. Won't get to it until tonight, but I'm very curious about how RR fared in coverage on the TD, the times Hoyer couldn't pull the trigger on some of the dropbacks where I felt he had time, and what type of plays Kyle drew up to try and beat SEA's pass coverage on the failed 3rd downs.

About Hyde, I'm noticing him have more success on run plays between the tackles (inside zone concepts). On paper it seems to fit the OL skillset (Tomlinson, Fusco, Brown) considering they are more on the 'mauler' side than the 'agile' side. Agree with Kilgore being bad. He gets pushed into the backfield on too many run plays.

One question. Why do you think Saleh is playing his CBs as the field CB (RR) and the boundary CB (DJ)? In both the exhibition games where both CBs played (DJ/RR), DJ was the field CB and RR was the boundary. In both regular season games, Saleh flipped it (DJ is boundary).

So far I've watched one play from the list of plays I am interested in, the 49ers first red zone appearance where Hoyer was sacked on 3rd down. I thought Kyle drew up a nice play to get the crossing route open right into the area that the safety rotated down from (to Hook zone), but Hoyer didn't stay with it and missed a potential TD pass.
Agreed, a sad missed opportunity, the O-line held up and if Hoyer had stayed with it and thrown with a little anticipation it would've been a walk-in TD.
  • thl408
(gif below) Play from post #5. I feel as though RayRay blew this on a scrape exchange. Check out the play 2nd & 18 at 1Q 4:52 mark. Solly crashes down, but plays it half ass. RayRay scrapes over the top. Not the exact same situation, but very similar. This leads me to think that on this play below, RayRay should have scraped over the top.
  • thl408
jd, if you want to post GIFs, try using this link to create them:
https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-gif

Use MediaFire to post the gifs. You'll have to find your own way to screen capture though. I use SnagIt.
Hey Johnny when you do your breakdowns could you put the numbers by the names so I can figure out who is who?Thanks I appreciate it, most helpful to me.
  • thl408
I think this is what was supposed to happen on that 4th & 1 (scrape exchange with Solly and RayRay). DE crashes down to force the QB keeper, have a LB waiting for the QB on the edge.
Share 49ersWebzone