There are 267 users in the forums

Remaining Harbaugh draft picks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Harbaugh talked about LaMichael James like it was his pick back then. That's the one I could attribute to Harbaugh. The rest could very well be either Baalke or Harbaugh.

Oh forgot about. That's on Harbaugh.
AJ Jenkins also
Originally posted by Niners99:
After Saturday's cuts, only 8 Harbaugh era draft picks remain on the team, and 5 of them were drafted in his last season with the team.

2011: Daniel Kilgore

2013: Eric Reid, Tank Carradine

2014: Jimmie Ward, Carlos Hyde, Aaron Lynch, Dontae Johnson, Keith Reaser

NaVorro Bowman is the only Mike Singletary era pick left, and obviously Joe Staley is the only Mike Nolan era guy left.

So only 10 players on our roster were here longer than 2 years ago. Pretty crazy.

Like we needed more proof Baalke was a horrible GM
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Harbaugh talked about LaMichael James like it was his pick back then. That's the one I could attribute to Harbaugh. The rest could very well be either Baalke or Harbaugh.

Oh forgot about Kaep. That's on Harbaugh.

I'm still a Kaep fan, and I'm one of the few that think he can still develop but has to have the right coach and system to play in. He was amazing during our super bowl run. Once he lost the reciever speed on the outside, his game was gone. I'd rather blame Baalke for that than Harbaugh.

Harbaugh's college offenses seem to always have wr speed, but he never seemed to get the kind of wr's that he needed in his NFL offense. Baalke's offensive drafts were terrible, I don't think any of his offensive skill position picks remain on the team from the last two years. He was the guy running the show the last two years and just look at his record after Harbaugh left. I think just by that, and Harbaugh's record at Michigan - you can tell who stank at player evaluatuons and who didn't.
Which one was Harbaughs pick and which ones were Baalkes? The only for sure that is harbaughs has to be Kaepernick.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'm still a Kaep fan, and I'm one of the few that think he can still develop but has to have the right coach and system to play in. He was amazing during our super bowl run. Once he lost the reciever speed on the outside, his game was gone. I'd rather blame Baalke for that than Harbaugh.

Harbaugh's college offenses seem to always have wr speed, but he never seemed to get the kind of wr's that he needed in his NFL offense. Baalke's offensive drafts were terrible, I don't think any of his offensive skill position picks remain on the team from the last two years. He was the guy running the show the last two years and just look at his record after Harbaugh left. I think just by that, and Harbaugh's record at Michigan - you can tell who stank at player evaluatuons and who didn't.

No you can't tell that from college. Harbaugh gets to try and get 25 five star guys a year. Projecting a player from high school to college is an easier gig by far. In reality no one knows how successful he can be acquiring talent for the pros. As Genus said he didn't see the pro talent of Baldwin and Sherman. You say he liked Marecic but he washed out the league in under 3 years.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Oh forgot about Kaep. That's on Harbaugh.

How many RB's did Baalke draft? Now you know who drafted LaMichal James.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

No you can't tell that from college. Harbaugh gets to try and get 25 five star guys a year. Projecting a player from high school to college is an easier gig by far. In reality no one knows how successful he can be acquiring talent for the pros. As Genus said he didn't see the pro talent of Baldwin and Sherman. You say he liked Marecic but he washed out the league in under 3 years.

Wins and losses are where the rubber meets the road. Whether or not Harbaugh is a good or bad talent evaluator, he wins. That counts for something. He had three years of playoff success in the NFL and then one year of .500 ball. When he leaves, the 49ers become sub .500. Then he goes to Michigan and wins there. When Baalke is in charge - look at the wins and losses. From a talent evaluation standpoint, I think Harbaugh wins vs. Baalke. Again, if Harbaugh had total control of the ball club, I think he'd still be coach here. The guy didn't waste any time on irrelevant issues such as cutting the ribbon on the new stadium, he spent every waking hour on how to win. Which also means he spent every waking hour evaluating talent, scheme, and personnel to win. I don't think luck is involved when everywhere he goes, he wins.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Which one was Harbaughs pick and which ones were Baalkes? The only for sure that is harbaughs has to be Kaepernick.

McDonald, Kaepernick, James, a truck load of free agents, that bullied T, Marecic, etc. It doesn't matter...no GM works in a vacuum. With each new HC you could see picks for their specific schemes. That said, whether HC or GM or the rest of the FO, it just wasn't pretty and incredibly unbalanced.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

McDonald, Kaepernick, James, a truck load of free agents, that bullied T, Marecic, etc. It doesn't matter...no GM works in a vacuum. With each new HC you could see picks for their specific schemes. That said, whether HC or GM or the rest of the FO, it just wasn't pretty and incredibly unbalanced.

The whole Baalke didnt work in a vacuum narrative was actually shown to be incorrect. You had previous coaches, scouts, FO guys etc that said it was quite the opposite and he was making the bulk of decisions on his own without input from the coaches
Baalke was a hermit narcissist. I remember kelly's coaches saying baalke didn't ask them for their opinions but would have gave them if asked.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Baalke was a hermit narcissist. I remember kelly's coaches saying baalke didn't ask them for their opinions but would have gave them if asked.

Wasn't just them...JH regime guys said the same, as did former players like Young and Jones. The guy was absolutely working in a vacuum
Originally posted by crabman82:
Thread title says harbaugh draft picks

+1
Wins and losses are where the rubber meets the road. Whether or not Harbaugh is a good or bad talent evaluator, he wins. That counts for something. He had three years of playoff success in the NFL and then one year of .500 ball. When he leaves, the 49ers become sub .500. Then he goes to Michigan and wins there. When Baalke is in charge - look at the wins and losses. From a talent evaluation standpoint, I think Harbaugh wins vs. Baalke. Again, if Harbaugh had total control of the ball club, I think he'd still be coach here. The guy didn't waste any time on irrelevant issues such as cutting the ribbon on the new stadium, he spent every waking hour on how to win. Which also means he spent every waking hour evaluating talent, scheme, and personnel to win. I don't think luck is involved when everywhere he goes, he wins.

Well I don't think he would. Greg Roman proved beyond of a shadow of a doubt in Buffalo that he was a mediocre coach. Kap has also proven to not be a consistent enough quarterback. Neither of those things change if Harbaugh stays as coach no matter who they draft. If he spent every waking hour on those things he wouldn't have kept Roman.

If the Bears are terrible this season it wouldn't surprise me to see them blow things up and hire Harbaugh. Then we will see who is right.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Baalke was a hermit narcissist.

LOL...that was a good one!
The early returns on the 2011 draft class was amazing. For a moment that looked like an all-timer draft. Crazy to think now only Kilgore remains and most of the others flamed out for different reasons.
Share 49ersWebzone