LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Will being on the sidelines improve or degrade Shanny's OFFENSIVE game management?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will being on the sidelines improve or degrade Shanny's OFFENSIVE game management?

Shanny managed the Falcons from the booth. Will being at field level change his style, for the better, or not? Personally, I think that for Offense, it might be a bit of a negative until mid october and then he'll get things smoothed out.
This really is a great question...I remember reading interviews with Walsh in which he said as a playcaller he liked being in the booth and calling a game like that. I think this is a situation where his dad could be a big help as sounding board on how to transition to the sideline. I could be wrong, but I think mike was the primary playcaller early on in Denver and it was eventually went to Kubiak.

As for the question, I think it will be an initial negative because it will be something out of the ordinary for him.
Well you also have to factor in the added responsibilities he has now that he's the HC. The defense might be getting torched to the point where he has to address Saleh. Thus taking time away from his offensive adjusments he had time to make when he was strictly the OC. Gonna be a learning curve but he'll adjust.
He's done both iirc. Was in the booth for the Falcons last year, but before that I'm pretty sure he preferred to be on the sidelines.
being in the booth you basically get an all 22 view, and with how good technology is today when it comes to communicating, it seems like logically being in the booth is better if you are the OC or DC.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Well you also have to factor in the added responsibilities he has now that he's the HC. The defense might be getting torched to the point where he has to address Saleh. Thus taking time away from his offensive adjusments he had time to make when he was strictly the OC. Gonna be a learning curve but he'll adjust.

right, thats a whole new dimension. i think thats a wildcard, but in terms of offense he has two big adjustments -- 1) having the oc be involved in play calling / selection, and 2) having a lot less time between punts to figure out adjustments. he'll have to delegate. Was he on the sidelines at washington? but dad was (really) the oc there. right?
I'm going to say the 1st half of the year he will be good & bad, but he will find his groove come the 2nd half of the year & this team will get much better offensively for sure
It's more of a preference that most coaches like to call the plays in the booth. But it doesn't mean that they are somehow nonfunctional on the sideline.

I think the interaction with the ref may take away his concentration on calling the plays. Some coaches seemed to invest too much emotionally on the refs, can't get over some bad calls. It's like another battle on top of trying to beat the defense. I don't know if Kyle Shanahan would be one.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
right, thats a whole new dimension. i think thats a wildcard, but in terms of offense he has two big adjustments -- 1) having the oc be involved in play calling / selection, and 2) having a lot less time between punts to figure out adjustments. he'll have to delegate. Was he on the sidelines at washington? but dad was (really) the oc there. right?

I'm pretty sure Kyle was playcaller in Washington. If what I've heard is correct, mike gave up playcalling at some point in Denver to Kubiak and this stayed true when Kyle came over from Houston to join him in Washington.
Good question. Did Shanny hire any other offensive minded coaches?

Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Good question. Did Shanny hire any other offensive minded coaches?

No. He just calls his dad.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
I'm going to say the 1st half of the year he will be good & bad, but he will find his groove come the 2nd half of the year & this team will get much better offensively for sure

I think there are at least 15+ rookies on the team, and I'd love for the team to start coming around the 2nd half of the year, but I think it will take a lot longer than that.
Safe to say the booth is a more sterile environment. I'd imagine making calls without all of the additional emotion from the sideline is ideal. I expect a transition.
Why would he need to be in the booth?

I thought KS said they want to dictate what the want to do on offense?

Plus KS also has help, puts a lot of trust in the QB to make the necessary adjustments
Originally posted by tohara3:

And then this board will cry that we're screwing up our draft position lol
Share 49ersWebzone